PDA

View Full Version : Added two new lovies to the flock today!

Sparkette65
06-26-2005, 11:18 AM
Well, I have added two new lovies to the flock today! The lady from conneticut brought them here today. Very nice people, it was nice to meet them. I feel sorry that they had to give up their birds, due to the no pets policy where they are moving, but I am glad I had the room for them, and Im sure they will love being in the sunportch with the rest of my flock.
I will post pictures later today, I want to give them a bit of time to settle in.

I will also have to make them new cozies today, so they have them for tonight, as the ones they had, they had eaten a big patch of the fleece right out of it...I dont know if it is wise to give them a cozy back or not.
After that incident with the bird passing away due to a blockage from the fabric that it ate, I dont know that I want to take the chance for that to happen. I dont see any of the fleece on the bottom of the cage, so I am to assume they have been eating it. What do you all think,,,they are 3 yrs old and I assume they have been using a cozie for a long time, but if their eating the fleece.............? Maybe it's time for a change. I know moving to a new home is a big change, but maybe it is best to take the cozies away, and get all the large changes done at one time...
Please let me know what you think, as Im sure the cozies are a hazard to them.
Thanks, Lori

Buy A Paper Doll
06-26-2005, 11:47 AM
I think cozies are OK for a lovie, but they do need to be inspected daily to make sure they're not eating them. Also I put the cozy in at night and take it out in the morning. Limiting cozies to night time also helps prevent Nesty Hen Syndrome.

Buy A Paper Doll
06-26-2005, 11:49 AM
I almost forgot! Congrats on the 2 new additions! It is sad that the former owner had to give them up but I'm sure she'll rest easier knowing that her lovies are going to be pampered and well cared for. ;)

linda040899
06-26-2005, 12:00 PM
Lori,
Congrats on your 2 new additions! I'm very glad they went to someone on this board!

If you look in Useful Links, I believe Robin has instructions on how to build a type of cozy that sounds pretty safe.

LauraO
06-26-2005, 12:06 PM
Lori: congrats on the new additions. I just wanted to add that I'd continue to give them their cozy, at least at night, until they are more comfortable with the move. It's bad enough losing your famiy but then having to lose your cozy is just tooo much :).

bellarains
06-26-2005, 02:05 PM
Hey Lori,

Congrats on the new additions. I'm glad you were close enough to give them a good home. It really sounded like that is all she wanted, and I'm sure she has some comfort knowing they are loved and well cared for.

My cozies do not have a fleece lining. Shy of course made mine and they have an all cotton lining in them, so that may be something to think of also. A type of denim material would be stronger, but hey, I can't sew a lick, so I leave that to those who can ;)

Sparkette65
06-26-2005, 03:01 PM
I am going to make them new cozies with the cotton/denim lining, But, I am not going to leave them in the cage all day long, I will give it to them when bedtime comes, and take it away in the am. I think (hope) like the rest of my birds, they will sleep all night and not really have much time to chew it up if I take it out in the am.
By the way, My husband,,,,the one who didn't have time for the lovebirds I bought him for valentines day,,,and made me adopt them (not that he had to try hard though lol) Can not walk past/through/around/NEAR the sunportch without going in there and giving the birds a treat, or talking to them, or giving certian ones palm fronds/newpaper.....He likes these birds...He aint kiddin' me!! although at times he does call them skitzo!! (certian ones head for the hills whenever we are in there)
If he didn't like them, there wouldn't be 10 of them in the house!
will upload pics tonight, (have to go to the main puter to do that) I will get it done, and post them.
Take care,
Lori

Paulette
06-28-2005, 11:46 AM
Hi Lori....It's wonderful that you have room to adopt the new lovies. And isn't it interesting how husbands come around and start getting attached to your birds. Please describe the "cozy". My birds came with an item in the cage (a chunk of huge PVC pipe about 5 inch diameter/6 inches long, covered with fake fur---cave like, but open on both ends and hanging on a chain). Is this similar to your cozy, or is it something different. I read some posts about loose threads and such and taking them out in the morning, but I could not find the one describing how to make the cozy.
Thanks....Paulette

Buy A Paper Doll
06-28-2005, 08:11 PM
Please describe the "cozy".
There are photos of the cozies at the top of the photo forum. I got my cozies from Shy because hers are nicer and more safely made than the ones in the store. Basically it's a quilted "tent" that hangs from the top of the cage. The bottom of it is stiff so it doesn't collapse, and it's lined with either cotton or denim or fleece.

Because my birds love to eat Things That Are Not Food, I only give cozies at night when they are sleeping. Otherwise the temptation to gnaw the cozy to bits while their momma is at work might be too much for them.

Paulette
06-30-2005, 09:38 AM
Ok....Jennifer......I was in the photo gallery after I posted the question about the cozy. They are very cute along with all the lovies in them. Thanks.
Paulette