PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie the dog. deserves this.

cassysmiley
05-14-2007, 08:07 AM
Hiya , i got some great news. read the post i am about to put. what a change in this dog. Love a Happy ending. He deserved this award. :) :) :) :clap: :clap:

A bravery award has been given to Ozzie the dog for his recovery after thugs tied him up and set him alight.

The two-year-old border collie, received the award at the Victoria Park Action Group Dog Show at the weekend where he was invited as VIP guest of honour.

Crowds queued to meet him at the event on Saturday.

On presenting the award David Moss, who was compering the event, said: "We are really pleased Ozzie could be here and really pleased that he is making a good recovery."

He added: "The Victoria Park Action Group is a community group working together to make the park a safer place. That is why nobody can understand why something like this could happen. Everyone is totally appalled by the actions of the people who did this to Ozzie and very sympathetic to him and his owner."

Ozzie received a round of applause from the crowd of around 200 people as well as a massive box of treats and toys.

His owner Michael Kaines, 54, from St John's Crescent, said: "The response from everyone over the past few months has been overwhelming and this award for Ozzie is the icing on the cake.

"Ozzie was so excited with all the other dogs around him he did not know what to do.

"He really deserves it. He has proved the RSPCA wrong, because they thought they would have to put him down when this first happened.

"He is from a working class dog family in Somerset, because his parents are sheep dogs, and he has shown his fighting spirit.

"It has taken a lot of care and attention looking after him and helping him to recover, but he is getting better. All the well wishes and support from everyone has really helped."

Visitors to the dog show said they were appalled by the torture Ozzie suffered.

Andy Smith, 45, from Totterdown is a dog owner who attended the show with his dogs Charlie and Lola. Mr Smith said: "I was disgusted that people could do that to a dog. I walk my dogs here frequently and I have always found it to be a very safe park.

"I was very shocked when I heard about Ozzie. I think it is great that he has been given the award. He deserves it."

Dog-owner Sarah Burns said she was particularly touched by Ozzie's plight as she too has a two-year-old border collie named Bryn.

Ms Burns said: "I can particularly identify and I would be totally devastated if it happened to Bryn. It is beyond anything you can imagine. I think it was brilliant to give Ozzie the award because he has been very brave. I only hope he can still trust people and be friendly after what he has been through."

Patricia Tucker, 40, from Knowle, said: "I thought giving the award to Ozzie was wonderful. It is just a shame that there are people in this world who could do something like that to a dog."

Sharon Peacock, 42, from Bedminster has a cocker and springer spaniel cross, called Stella. She said: "I was away when it happened and it broke my heart when I came back and heard about it.

"I think Ozzie deserves the award. He must still be in so much pain."

Even the rain could not dampen the spirits of the dog owners and their canine friends, who turned out in force to support Ozzie and to take part in the show.

Categories included Coolest Couple, Best Veteran Dog (over eight years old), Animal Crackers Race, Most Appealing Rescue Dog and Best In Show.

Paul Smith, 30, from Bedminster, said: "We are new to Bristol and I have never been to this show before but we were touched by Ozzie's story. It was awful to hear what happened to him and we were pretty horrified.

"I have a bulldog called Randall and if it happened to him I would be horrified.

"It was great that Ozzie got an award."

Martina Sextone, 50, from Bedminster said: "Michael and Ozzie do not live far from me so I have been following his progress. I also gave some gifts because I was really touched by what he had been through.

"I am not sure whether his fur will grow back, but seeing his wounds closed up now is such a relief to see.

"I was going to the show anyway but I came extra early to see the presentation to Ozzie.

"What happened to Ozzie was inhumane, barbaric and animalistic. In fact an animal wouldn't do that to another animal so it is probably unfair to say that.

"We are all trying to encourage people to use this park and promote it as a safe place, but something like this doesn't help."

Ozzie went missing from his owner's garden the day before Good Friday and was found in the early hours of the morning with severe burn injuries to his face and body.

RSPCA officers believed he was tied to a fence in Victoria Park with electrical flex and deliberately set alight.

Two teenagers have since been arrested and released on police bail.

Evening Post readers have pledged more than £4,000 in reward money for any information leading to the conviction of Ozzie's attackers