PDA

View Full Version : what is the real deal with birds chirping?

chellybum
05-14-2007, 05:04 PM
My little lovie (only >1 year old) Isabella has been diagnosed with a heart arrhythmia, and she also has a problem with crop infections (been on antibiotics 3 times already).. the vet said that she will be a quieter than normal bird because of her condition.. but she really is not.

We live in an apartment, and both of us work most of the day.. when I leave her in the living room with lots of windows she will chirp and sometimes squak at every little thing. When she is in the second bedroom she is much quieter.

I have read in several places that if a bird makes any noise it is a really good sign and you should be worried if she is quiet..

she really craves attention, and anytime she hears noise of any kind she chirps. When we are home she is reluctant to come out, but once she comes out she seems really happy.
My reason for the post is this...
1. should i encourage the chirping and keep her in the living room
2. is ALL noises from the bird a good sign?

also.. i have noticed that her flight feathers are coming in really bad.. she is able to now fly but some of the feathers are shreaded or missing (and she is not plucking them out).. is this normal?

Janie
05-14-2007, 05:22 PM
I have three and while they do chirp, sometimes a LOT, it seems to be a normal level to me. A very quiet bird would concern me just as one that is constantly giving the alert call would concern me. My three are most vocal in the morning and at some point in the afternoon but I must admit, the more they chirp, the more I chirp back to them. I LOVE to hear them go to town, talking to each other and to me. Given the choice, I'd leave her in the living room which has more light and more for her to see.

As far as the feather condition, I'd take her to her avian vet for his/her opinion.

michael
05-14-2007, 08:39 PM
The flight feathers do cause some concern. Its possible she's flapping them in an area thats too confined or maybe chewing them when your simply not around to see. If on the other hand their growing in deformed or irregular this could indicate an underlying health problem that may or may not be related to the one you described now. Either way, a vet visit sounds like a good measure. As long as her chirping isn't too distressed and she sounds like she's simply responding to other noises or birds I'd let her chirp away in the living room, provided she's not driving your neighbors nuts.......Goofy and Michael

sdgilley
05-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Has she gone through her first molt? You mentioned that she was less than one year old. Their first molt comes around 8-9 months and is usually more uncomfortable than the following molts will be. That would also explain some feathers appearing to be missing. Does she like to bathe? I have two that bathe in their water dish and one in my hands in the sink. That always makes a molty bird feel better.

My birds are noisy part of the day and quiet for frequent naps. If they get too quiet, I take them to a vet, as that's a good indicator of early illness. But changes in environment bring on some unusual quietness, too.

She sounds sweet. :)

Buy A Paper Doll
05-15-2007, 09:31 PM
My dear sweet Melody has recently started SCREAMING BLOODY MURDER during the day. Every day. She clings to the front of the cage and just SCREEECHES. Then Milo (my sweet quiet bird) starts up.

I know with Melody it's because she wants out of her cage. She'll stop screaming the millisecond her cage door opens. It's tempting to let her out when she does it just to SHUT HER UP but I am trying very hard not to reward her negative behavior.

Thank God it's nice out this week; when I can't take the noise any longer, I just roll the whole cage out on the enclosed screen porch and shut the door. They're safe out there while my eardrums heal. And besides, the vet did say that fresh air and a bit of sunshine is good for the little monsters...