PDA

View Full Version : PALM FRONDS

ddargenio
05-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Hi everyone - does anyone have any idea where I can purchase Palm Fronds on the internet? Unfortunately we're not tropical here in good ol' New Jersey:lol

Finnysmommie
05-20-2007, 06:17 PM
Oh how I wish we could send you some of ours! I am sure it would save us money on having them fished out of the pool constantly!

I would try maybe a nursery or Home depot or lowes.. You may have to buy a whole tree though.

mjm8321
05-21-2007, 01:11 PM
You can try purchasing a hat made from palm leaves and cut it up for them or I know there's corn in NJ this time of year, you can use the corn husks for shredding/nesting material. I husk the corn, then take the husks and bake them at 200ยบ F until they are dried out.

Eliza
05-21-2007, 07:34 PM
Denise -- are you looking at the same type of palm fronds that would be used @ Catholic churches? Maybe they would have an idea where you could get some.

-e-

Jamie8672
05-21-2007, 09:24 PM
I can suggest looking for Eureka Palms. Its short shrub palms. Lovies use the fronds to build nests.

ddargenio
05-22-2007, 01:55 PM
Thanks for your help everyone - MJ is right NJ is FULL of corn. I'm going to try the corn husks. I have my Black Maskeds and my Black Cheeks set up I know they like the palm leaves. According to the article it said they like them a little moist too. I'm also going to try the Florist. I'm sure they're gonna think I'm crazy. AND of course they're right!

linda040899
05-22-2007, 02:05 PM
Hi Denise,
I didn't realize that you have Black Cheeks! Cute little guys.... :)

When I bred them, the biggest issue I ever had was humidity! They are native to the Victoria Falls area in Africa and they need a humidity level very close to 70%. This is necessary right from the start, as soon as the eggs are laid. Lack of humidity will cause the chicks not to develop. I actually used to mist inside the nest (very lightly) every other day and that seemed to work. Mine always did well, but I ran out of room and had to choose between Black Cheeks and Abyssinians. Abbys won out in that deal.

mjm8321
05-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Denise, the problem with getting palm fronds from the florist is because they use a preservative to keep the palm fresh and it's not bird safe. I used to live right next to a florist and asked her about getting the palm. The reason I baked the corn husks is to kill the bacteria/mold that can grow between the layers.
Lowes or Home Depot have some pretty big palm trees available for sale, so you might even grow your own palm. For moisture, I've also resorted to taking a strip of the "Shredders" material and soaking in the sink before offering it. Seemed to help a bit.

I'd love to see some pictures of your birds...especially the Black Cheeks.

themillerman
05-22-2007, 03:21 PM
I don't mean to put the kibosh on another suggestion, but I've had trouble with pesticides and fertilizers on plants from the greenhouses and such. I would at least rinse them VERY well.

mjm8321
05-22-2007, 03:51 PM
I don't mean to put the kibosh on another suggestion, but I've had trouble with pesticides and fertilizers on plants from the greenhouses and such. I would at least rinse them VERY well.

I know exactly what you are talking about. :) Once you get the plant home you can shower it as well as control what you put into the soil.

Jamie8672
05-25-2007, 10:40 PM
I prefer the fronds since they hold moisture and help with humidity in the nest. I have no problem finding fronds here in Florida. But usually have a problem being able to reach them. lol Thats why I have planted Eureka Palms. They grow close to the ground, so I'm able to reach them without the help of a ladder. lol