PDA

View Full Version : Safe toy?

citygrlup
05-23-2007, 01:57 AM
I have worked out a compromise between me sleeping and Chloe's excessive singing while I sleep...I just have to keep new toys for her to keep her busy as well as taking her in my room during the day where it is dark (when I sleep). I let her play for an hr or so before I go to bed and allow her to chirp with the wild birds then off to bed...when I wake up she is allowed to chirp as loud as her lungs can handle. ( no complaints from my neighbors yet). I also am trying to give her more toys...she gets bored so easy with all of the ones that she has. I found one that I thought would be awesome for her but I am unsure about the polar fleece that it is made out of.:confused: It says that it is safe for birds but I'm kind of thinking that it might not be. It just looks like a lot of fun and something she would love.
Here is a picture of it... whatcha think?

http://www.wtronix.com/hmwl/images/ColorBrite_FringeRope_2.jpg

I also took her for a vet check up (who told me it would be ok to keep her in the dark while I sleep) and she weighs 41 grams. I cant get her to eat more then the seeds until I found Pet Grass! She's very interested in it, more so then anything else I try and get her to eat (even birdie bead I made). Hopefully she will open up to more food I try and offer her.

She also ate millet out of my hand!:happy: HUGE PROGRESS! I am so excited and cant wait for the next step!

Hope everyone had a great day! Summer is ALMOST here Woohoo.

bellarains
05-23-2007, 08:09 AM
As long as she's not chewing it up and swallowing it, it's OK, but do check it everyday to be sure she's not ingesting the material. I have a cozy made out of this material, but my birds are not chewers, at least not on the tent;)

You can also give her a toy made out of vegetable tanned leather strips, or sisal to keep her "chew happy" These are both safe, and birds love them:)

ittyandrita
05-23-2007, 11:40 AM
i've read that fleece is good for birds to play with because it doesn't fray and have little strings that a bird could swallow or catch their feet in. congrats on chloe eating from your hand. my bird jeffrey did it for the first time yesterday so i know how excited you must have been!

mjm8321
05-23-2007, 12:21 PM
Fleece is fine, just make sure it's been washed and rinsed several times because certain fleece material has been treated with chemicals to be fire retardant or even waterproof.

41 grams is a good size for a masked lovie; she must be eating well. ;)