PDA

View Full Version : Super Newbie Questions

Estee
06-13-2007, 04:57 PM
Hi all,

First I want to say that I have really been enjoying this forum. I'm learning a lot and laughing a lot!

Second, I have a few questions that are the type of thing I can't seem to find answers for.

For example: Sometimes, Tutti vibrates a lot. It's almost like he's purring. Is that a baby thing? Normal lovebird behavior?

Is it normal for a lovebird to nip and squawk like crazy when you try to take him off your neck? And to resist mightily when you try to put him back in his cage?

Then... what do you do in a case like that?

And, two beak questions:
Sometimes Tutti sits with his beak a bit open. It reminds me of a dog panting, except his mouth is more closed and obviously, his tongue isn't lolling out. But the expression is similar. What does that "mean?"

Last, Tutti keeps opening his mouth wide, like he's about to yawn, but then just wiggles his tongue and then closes his mouth again. He doesn't make any noise. But he's been biting a lot today. Could his beak be bothering him? :( Is he just getting more comfortable and his personality is developing? Should I call the vet? :cry:

Thanks in advance.

vero
06-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Hi Estee,
i don't mean to frighten you, but my female had the exact same symptoms [breathing with her beak a bit open and tongue moving] and i found out it's called 'gaping', when birdies can't breathe as well as they should. My Peachie was diagnosed with Aspergiliosis. You may want to see a vet. The opening wide of the mouth but not yawning was also something I saw in her. Also, her tail bobbs when she breathes. having said this, watch your Tutti, it may be that she is just breathing hard from overexertion, such as flying around non stop or trying to fight your efforts to put him back in the cage. In any event, the safest thing is to take him for a check up.

good luck,
Vero

Estee
06-13-2007, 05:22 PM
Thank you Vero,
I've put in a call to my vet, to be safe. But to clarify, the tongue wiggle and the sitting with his mouth slightly open are two separate behaviors (the tongue wiggle is with the mouth wide open, and the slightly open beak has no tongue movement that I can see.).

Any ideas on the other questions? :) Again, I'm a real real newbie!

PS He's biting like crazy today!

mjm8321
06-13-2007, 05:41 PM
See below for answers.

Hi all,

First I want to say that I have really been enjoying this forum. I'm learning a lot and laughing a lot!

Second, I have a few questions that are the type of thing I can't seem to find answers for.

For example: Sometimes, Tutti vibrates a lot. It's almost like he's purring. Is that a baby thing? Normal lovebird behavior? Yes, normal, content lovie behavior.
Is it normal for a lovebird to nip and squawk like crazy when you try to take him off your neck? And to resist mightily when you try to put him back in his cage? YES! Especially spoiled lovebirds!

Then... what do you do in a case like that? I'd suggest not allowing shoulder time for a while so he realizes it's a priveledge.

And, two beak questions:
Sometimes Tutti sits with his beak a bit open. It reminds me of a dog panting, except his mouth is more closed and obviously, his tongue isn't lolling out. But the expression is similar. What does that "mean?" If his breathing is normal and tail not bobbing, it's most probably nothing but just sitting with his beak a bit open.
Last, Tutti keeps opening his mouth wide, like he's about to yawn, but then just wiggles his tongue and then closes his mouth again. He doesn't make any noise. But he's been biting a lot today. Could his beak be bothering him? :( Is he just getting more comfortable and his personality is developing? Should I call the vet? :cry: It's a yawn of sorts. Younger lovebirds tend to do this a lot and you can even rub the sides of the lovies "cheeks" and it might casue the same reaction. I think it's partly a growing process too, stretching if you will. Tutti is young and going through that independant stage. The nipping might just be he's tired of playing, need a nap, food, water or might just be having a bad day. See what tomorrow brings.Thanks in advance.

Janie
06-13-2007, 05:59 PM
"Ditto" to all that MJ said. Good advice! :)

Estee
06-13-2007, 07:01 PM
Thank you MJ and Janie for seconding it.

But... in the event that my spoiled cutie scoots up to my neck and is hiding under my hair, racing to the side opposite my hand, squawking in protest, and nipping me when I reach for him (as he has been the last two days), is there anything wrong with literally prying him off my shirt? I can't hurt his claws by doing that, can I?

mjm8321
06-13-2007, 07:08 PM
Thank you MJ and Janie for seconding it.

But... in the event that my spoiled cutie scoots up to my neck and is hiding under my hair, racing to the side opposite my hand, squawking in protest, and nipping me when I reach for him (as he has been the last two days), is there anything wrong with literally prying him off my shirt? I can't hurt his claws by doing that, can I?

Generally speaking, no. I wouldn't suggest doing it really quickly because that could cause an issue.
Sometimes you've got to show 'em who's boss? LOL, they figure out really quickly that they are the boss. :lol AND, soon enough you'll learn Tutti is the boss too. ;)

LauraO
06-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Estee: I have one lovebird, Olive, who vibrates when you hold her. She just gets really excited and that's how she expresses it. I've read and heard it's totally normal, but out of 20 lovies I only have one who does it. Tutti may or may not grow out of it.

I've had birds that don't want to get off of me and nip or run to where I can't reach them. My first velcro bird Chopper was the worst and I literally had to take my shirt off to get him off me to leave the house. The important thing is to be consistant. If you do pry Tutti off make sure you don't just pull him off with his legs still holding on. I usually put my hand around their body and gently pry their feet off so I don't injure them. I would also suggest working on teaching Tutti to step up on a stick or dowel and not just your finger. This way you can use a small stick to get him to step up on to avoid nips. It's just my :2cents: , but I wouldn't deny Tutti access to your shoulder. He is just a young lovie asserting his desire. Of course, my birds run all over me and do pretty much what they want:roll: .

Be aware that lovies go through a lot of behavior and hormonal stages their first year of life. This may include a lot of nibbling, biting, screaming, etc. The best thing to do is be consistant and understanding. I've noticed that more times than not lovies start calming down after one year old. Of course, there's always exceptions to this rule.

Good LUck:D

Estee
06-14-2007, 09:00 PM
AND, soon enough you'll learn Tutti is the boss too.
Haha... technically, he's the boss of my four bosses so I'm slipping really low down the ladder.

In seriousness, I do appreciate knowing which things can and can't be expected from a bird. It helps because my intuition with birds is nil, though it is slowly starting to develop on the basis of all the information I'm reading.

Laura, is there any reason I'd want Tutti to outgrow the vibrating? I love it. it reminds me of a satisfied purr.

Thanks for the encouragement on using a dowel. That does seem a good idea. And also for the reminder that we can expect to see a lot of different aspects to Tutti's personality in the months ahead.

And last, another newbie question: Tutti sleeps in my eldest daughter's room. During the day, I like to bring him downstairs so that even when he can't be out of his cage (for example, when I'm cooking; I put him in the next room so he can see me from his cage but not get near anything hot).

The question is, should I put his cage in the same spot every day? And is it OK to move it in the first place? I can't read Tutti well enough yet to know his opinion.:(

linda040899
06-15-2007, 09:54 AM
And last, another newbie question: Tutti sleeps in my eldest daughter's room. During the day, I like to bring him downstairs so that even when he can't be out of his cage (for example, when I'm cooking; I put him in the next room so he can see me from his cage but not get near anything hot).

The question is, should I put his cage in the same spot every day? And is it OK to move it in the first place? I can't read Tutti well enough yet to know his opinion.:(
Lovebirds are very social and I'm sure that Tutti would love to be where the action is, so to speak! Birds tend to be creatures of habit, so if you bring him downstairs, I would pick one place for his cage but perhaps have another location for a playgym. As long as you are not doing anything where he can get hurt, he might like being on the gym.

I have a number of lovebirds that vibrate when I handle them and it's a wonderful thing knowing that the vibrating is caused by happiness. I don't ever want mine to outgrow that! :)

http://www.lovebirdsplus.com/community/images/misc/progress.gif

Kiwi*
11-12-2008, 11:08 PM
vibrating is caused by happiness?? i didnt know that!! always mean happy? or and scared too....

Bubblelady
11-12-2008, 11:43 PM
I think the key words are "vibrate" vs "tremble". The happy vibrating is very subtle--you can feel it more than see it. At least with my babies. Gussie vibrates more that Buddy, although Buddy does do it. The first week I had Gussie she was sitting on my shoulder, snuggled up against my cheek, right before bed. I was talking softly to her. Every time I said one of the words in her vocabulary (the vocabulary she came with: pretty bird, baby, hi baby), she would vibrate! It was like, "I'm in a new place with a new person, but she speaks my language!" She still vibrates when I talk to her, quietly. And she has learned a new phrase--said it for the first time last Saturday: "Good girl" :happy: And today she was trying a new word. It might be "Gussie" , but it sounded more like "Buddy" :rofl: I vibrate when Gussie talks.

bbslovie
11-13-2008, 02:43 AM
Hi,
I always thought they vibrated because they were happy! I'm so glad because if I could I'd vibrate for them to show them how happy I am with them! :D

Chickobee
11-13-2008, 08:21 AM
Do you know if Tutti is a male or a female? You can read through the posts on this forum to see how differently they behave and what to expect as Tutti matures. This is a great place to learn about lovebird behaviors, care, and feeding.

You are lucky to have a lovie who vibrates for you! :-)