PDA

View Full Version : foster fid!

ittyandrita
06-14-2007, 09:13 AM
ok, so some people may have seen this little guy, baxter, on the new york craigs list. the owner was a friend of a friend, and when i heard she was going to give him to the highest bidder i of course had to go meet him. when i saw him my heart just broke. in the smallest bird cage i'd ever seen, one plastic perch, no toys and eating only sunflower seeds, never seen a vet and NEVER GOT TO LEAVE HIS CAGE. the owner said he never wanted to leave and that he was not hand tame. well i of course brought him home. after my birdies went to bed i opened his cage to see if he wanted to come out (his wings are clipped so i felt it would be ok for him to walk around a bit). he came right out, and is a total snuggle bug! he seemed starved for snuggles. he doesn't know how to step up or sit on my shoulder, but loves sitting in my hand and leaning into me. he even took a nap burrowed between my arm and body while i was watching tv. so my plan, which i must stick to, as i dont need any more birds, is to take him to the vet for a wellness check up, work on his diet and get him used to toys and then try and find a good home. i made him some birdie bread, he seemed interested but wasn't sure if it was food or not. i also gave him some apple which he 'tongued' but again, wasn't quite sure what to do with it. i'm going bird supply shopping today (my favorite!) and set him up with a nice little cage of toys and different types of perches. one thing- he seems to spend most of his time glued to the side of his cage. my other birds dont do this, any ideas as to why? also, he can hear my other birds but hasn't made a peep. is this normal?

ittyandrita
06-14-2007, 09:14 AM
oh i posted pics of him in the picture section

LauraO
06-14-2007, 09:34 AM
Wow! I love stories of rescued fids :happy: :happy: . Some lovies like to sleep hanging on to the side of the cage. It may be that with a larger cage and more perch options (different sizes and textures), he/she may perch other places.

Well I'm off to see the pics:D

linda040899
06-14-2007, 09:53 AM
so my plan, which i must stick to, as i dont need any more birds, is to take him to the vet for a wellness check up, work on his diet and get him used to toys and then try and find a good home.
Kudos to you for doing what needed to be done for Baxter! She's a very nice looking Blue Mask!

While you may not need another bird, it sounds like she sure does need you! Trust like this doesn't happen this quickly very often, so she's made a connection with you. If you ever wanted a velcro lovie, you've got one! Birds can tell when someone cares..... :)

Janie
06-14-2007, 10:31 AM
I just saw the photos of Baxter and am now reading this thread and WOW....I am flat out amazed at how quickly this little lovie has responded to you!!!! Even my hand-fed tame lovies did not go for me immediately, it took a couple of weeks to have them crawling all over me. This is, IMHO, an instant bond on his/her part (Linda referred to Baxter as a "her" so I'm guessing she sees that in the eye shape?) and OMG, I'm not sure I could ever give Baxter up if he responded to me that quickly. Bless you for fostering Baxter and let's just see how that goes....maybe a formal "adoption" is in your future??? :D

ittyandrita
06-14-2007, 10:36 AM
yeah, i might be fooling myself...
i was pretty suprised too, i guess we'll see in time if maybe he was just disoriented being in a new place

Z28Taxman
06-14-2007, 07:29 PM
Sounds like you've found yourself a Dittobird. He'll snuggle up to anyone who comes in here. :happy:

michael
06-14-2007, 09:03 PM
YES! A BaxterDittoGoofy Bird! If I was any closer he'd be mine! Oh, what a baby. And they do know when someone really cares. Do you know how old he/she is? Its wonderful of you to take in this little sweety pie.....Please keep us updated!.........Over excited Michael and Goofy

ittyandrita
06-14-2007, 11:38 PM
from what i gathered he's under a year. she bought him at a pet shop where he was housed with a flock of parakeets (weird) but i assume they were selling babies, not sure.
i will tell him he's a BaxterDittoGoofy Bird and i'm sure he will be flattered!

ittyandrita
06-15-2007, 10:31 PM
BAXTER IS EATING MILLET FOR THE FIRST TIME!!

michael
06-17-2007, 01:14 PM
Way to go Baxter! ....Now if they would only learn to clean up after themselves..........Goofy N' Michael

ittyandrita
06-17-2007, 01:29 PM
ok, now how weird is this- maybe cause he's a black masked and they are a bit smaller than peach faces. but i SWEAR is put output on my shirt is way less. no i'm not crazy, really i'm not.:rofl:

michael
06-18-2007, 04:28 PM
WHERE'S YOUR BIB???? ..Goof and Michael