PDA

View Full Version : Need Help? Flock Dynamics?

Susan27
06-19-2007, 02:01 AM
I accumulated many birds in a short period of time....as all of you know. I think I am keeping up with their care pretty good (got a system that still needs some tweeks).

My problem isn't amount, it is personalities. Sam and Delilah are laid back, I almost wonder if they would do better in a single pair home. Del rarely leaves her cage, just protects it. Poor Sammy seems to want to be friends, sorta gets along with Kiko and Touki, but often is chased off.

Also, Peepers, I swear has some sort of hyperactivity issues. She is CRAZY!! And she chases everyone except Little Chicken (her former cage mate).

As well, most of my birds have been cooped up WAY more than usual, since I have been overly concerned about the babies. Today was the first day in about 2 months that I let ALL the birds out (minus the 4 babies). They have been let out on their own or in pairs over that last 2 months...but I was just not sure what Chubby would do if she felt her babies were in danger...I am a tad more laid back, but another eggie......:x

Peepers, Little Chicken, Woogie and Dayzee are coming up to their first birthday, should I reserve judgement on their personalities until after they have settled into their maturity?

I don't want to rehome any of my lovies, but I am wondering if any of you have done this, more for your lovies best interests? I don't want any birdie to be unhappy...but I also don't want to make a rash judgement

These feelings of mine probably stem from me having to rehome a dog of mine because of my emotionally challenged, previously abused, rescued female dog. I even had Charlette (problem doggie) on meds to calm her down, didn't help, I would have BAD dog fights and one terrified. So instead of getting rid of my problem dog, who would have been put to sleep, 'cause no one would want her, I gave my emotionally normal, very good dog to a nice family. I guess I am very sensitive to pet relationships....

Sorry such a long post, I have been thinking about this for awhile and finally needed some help...or got up the nerve to admit my feelings.....

BarbieH
06-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Hi Susan;

In my own house, we leave the birds in their cages most of the time. That way, we control the interactions and can protect the more laid-back birds from the more aggressive.

When birds come out, we bring them as single birds or pairs that are known to get along. I have three birds that aren't at all interested in coming out. Their cage doors remain shut to keep other birds out.

Sam comes out a few times a day; Gracie comes out, sometimes with George and sometimes alone. Gracie and Sam could probably be together, but it would get in the way of Gracie and George. Gracie-George-Sam out together would not be good; George would probably chase Sam, and Gracie would probably chase George.

Didjit comes out a few times a week. He is a bully to everyone, but we love him and do our best to help him keep out of trouble.

I don't think there is a need to give up any of your birds, if you supervise their out-of-cage time so they are safe and you feel comfortable. Now that you have a good idea of the flock's dynamics, you can use it to advantage by letting out select birds at a time. :)

Best wishes,

Susan27
06-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks Barb. I guess I was thinking that EVERYONE had to get along. Since birds are housed completely different than dogs, I shouldn't have been thinking of it in those terms.

One day maybe everyone will be able to co-exsist, but right now, I am going to take you advice and examples.

I never really thought of it that way, one track mind I guess...

butterfly1061
06-19-2007, 10:34 AM
I let all 6 of mine out at the same time everyday from 5:30 pm - 7pm. Out of my 6, Molly & Piper come out and I let them play in the kitchen cabinet. Daise, Olivia (when I can get her out of the cage) and the babies play in the birdroom. Olivia is a bad influence on the babies (goes where she's not suppose to) and I have to watch them quite a bit. Daise also chases the babies away, biting at their toes. I can leave Piper & Molly to play and when they want me they fly to me. Piper likes to sit back and watch D,O & babies, but Daise will chase him away. Heck, Daise chases everybirdie away. I just deal with it, but I enjoy it. At first it was a bit overwhelming with the babies, but they are happy, healthy and playful and I have only one who is scared of hands at the moment. :2cents:

Janie
06-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Susan, my three are out during the day about 80% of the time and Oliver is always out except at night. BUT, it's three males who get along. If I ever saw bickering beyond squawking at each other and some chasing, Big Boi and Shy would be caged and even separately if necessary. My top priority is Oliver's safety and happiness and fortunately, they both adore him. They tolerate each other but at least they don't fight and when Oliver is out of the room with me, they even cozy up together sometimes. Never a drop of blood from a fight, not even a toe bite that I've seen. Three is a huge difference, I know that, and having all males is probably another reason that I've been lucky that they get along. I never expected that to be the case when I got Big Boi and Shy and was prepared to keep them separated from Oliver forever. Much as I'd like to have more lovies or a GCC, I would not dream of messing up this good thing I've got going on with three who can always be out together.

As far as re-homing in the best interest of the bird(s), I really have no problem with that when it is for the birds sake and not because an owner tires of dealing with a bunch of birds, their mess, etc. If Oliver's former owner had not re-homed him, I'd never have gotten him and I know that was a good thing for both of us. :) I actually talked a former neighbor into re-homing a very wild little lovebird. He was never, ever allowed out of the cage and was often kept covered during the day to shut him up. My breeder took him, her daughter worked with him for a couple of months, and he was passed on to a good home and adores the little girl who has him now. Seriously, if I thought my birds would be happier or better off in another home (for whatever the reason) I would give them up. Needless to say I'd be very picky about who I gave them to if it came to that. And needless to say, OLIVER would just have to stay with me even if he was miserable! :D

What you HAD to do in the dog situation was exactly what I would have done. I would never re-home the problem dog, only the one that would most likely blend in with a new family easily. We had a member here a few years ago that had two lovies but she didn't like that one was a biter and that was the one she wanted to dump. She probably did and I'm sure he's been dumped many times since then. :(

Good luck in what ever you decide to do. I know you'll have their best interest at heart. :)

BarbieH
06-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Glad to be of help, Susan. :) I enjoy my birds' dynamics, and like you, I respect them.

If you think of how things are in the wild, all the birds don't really get along. There are different personalities and established pecking orders. Sometimes they fight, and it can be fatal. Supervising birds can be done very effectively in a number of ways, but it pays to remember that injuries can happen very quickly.

Best wishes,

LauraO
06-20-2007, 01:10 AM
Since my lovebirds, all 19, spend most of their time out of their cages in the bird room I can talk days and days about flock dynamics:x . However, I will say the more time they spend out of their cages together, the more they will develop a comfort with being out together. A good key to keeping things safe is to have no dark spaces they will fight over and try to keep the birds off the tops of others' cages. It's also important to spend time getting to know your birds so you can limit the dangers as much as possible.

Since moving the birds, I've had less bloody toes and beaten up beaks. I think this is cause I've not put the cages onto the racks I have for them. The birds would spend their days fighting for a few of the spaces in between the cages and they would fight. Despite the fighting that does go on, I really think my birds are happier and thrive living in a flock atmosphere. I happy I can provide the amount of freedom I do. I understand the risks and my husband and I have decided what's best for us and our birds. I do know this isn't a set up that works for most.

As for babies, before they fly we always keep them safe and separated. However, once the parents have taught them how to fly we let them fly about the house. Most of the lovebirds bite at them but the parents are there to protect them and a lot of what goes on is the other birds letting them know who's boss. As the babies grow, the other birds generally start ignoring them. This teaches the babies how to get along and live within a flock.

Just my :2cents:

BarbieH
06-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Since moving the birds, I've had less bloody toes and beaten up beaks. I think this is cause I've not put the cages onto the racks I have for them. Laura, I was wondering how much cages play into flock dynamics. It makes sense that having cages would give them something big to fight about.