PDA

View Full Version : finger biting "game"

donna1064
06-26-2007, 11:16 AM
just curious.....

Baby and I play this game where I put my finger near her, and she will reach out and grab my fingernail with her beak, and then we "wrestle" a bit, and then she will let me give her skritches. Is this okay? I've read some threads where some people won't allow thier lovies to nip at their fingers so I'm wondering if I should stop doing this? She does'nt bite hard and seems to be having fun.

thanks!

LauraO
06-26-2007, 11:32 AM
You know it's really up to you whether you want to stop this game or not. It could or could not turn into harder biting, but as long as you understand if the biting gets hard and you don't like it it's your fault and not Baby's:omg: . I have several birds I play bitey games with but others I would never dream of letting near my flesh. I will say my seven year old black masked bird is getting crazy with the bitiness. He likes to hang off the front of my hair and bite me on my eye brow and the bridge of my nose. He doesn't stop and it doesn't hurt but is really annoying. Of course, he's only gotten to be an annoying pest the last year or so after he lost his mate.

Another fun bitey game is to put your finger under your shirt or some other cloth and move it around. A lot of my birds love chasing and biting at the finger:D .

mjm8321
06-26-2007, 12:10 PM
Most of my youngsters like to nibble on me. Its all part of the interaction for me and I don't mind it, but someone else might. Like Laura said, it might turn into harder biting and it might not, just something you'll need to watch for.

donna1064
06-26-2007, 01:01 PM
thanks, Ladies.

at this point, our game is a fun interaction, but I do realize that if it gets to harder biting, that it is because I have allowed it and I would take ownership of that responsibility.

Baby is a very fun, playful and personable little girl.....and it is my hope that she remains that way but I will always be on the lookout for changes in her behavior....

LauraO
06-26-2007, 02:13 PM
Baby is a very fun, playful and personable little girl.....and it is my hope that she remains that way but I will always be on the lookout for changes in her behavior....

Since Baby is literally a baby, you will see a bunch of changes over the next year. They will not all be good, but if you are consistent and understanding she will grow out of most. It's good your toughening your skin just in case she goes through a nippy stage8o .

shylevon
06-26-2007, 09:07 PM
I would allow it if it were my bird. In fact, I play that same game with a few of mine. It teaches them that fingers are not scarey things and are more like toys than things to fear.

Try putting a little safflower seed between your fingers every now and then. Birdie can play a game and get a little treat, too.

Janie
06-27-2007, 09:12 AM
One of my three did some hard biting in his first year while he was learning appropriate beak pressure and I worked very hard, trying to explain to him that it hurt and I didn't like it and he could not be on me if he was going to bite. He stopped over 6 months ago and now I can even allow him to bite/nibble on my fingers while playing. :D He's a smart little lovie and figured out he can still bite his momma if he does it nicely! :D His brother has never bitten but loves to nibble on my fingers. :)

michael
06-27-2007, 12:41 PM
At first my male lovie was a very hard biter, and it was considered part of his learning process for interacting with me. Adding that there are some different reasons for biting between males and females, I think understanding those differences and allowing them some biting leeway can help in a more comfortable relationship. I think interacting with lovebirds is a one on one sort of process. Some will communicate or play games without a bit of harm, and others will use it defensively no matter what. I'm fortunate that over time my lovebird has learned to communicate with not only me, but everyone else who handles him. He seems to have no desire to chomp down, even though he is fully capable. He is allowed to nibble and bite me whenever he wishes, which I truly enjoy, and I no longer feel the need to show caution as far as him drawing blood. Of course this didn't happen over night, and if he would have continued to use excessive pressure, the alternative would have been to no longer give him so much opportunity. I would though be careful of games, as sometimes this is the learning process for defensive maneuvers taught by parents and older siblings........Michael and Goofy