PDA

View Full Version : Bird insurance?

saxypanda
06-26-2007, 09:07 PM
Does anyone have health insurance on their birds? Do you know if it is worth doing? I was looking it up and its pretty cheap..

shylevon
06-26-2007, 09:16 PM
How much is it and what does it cover? If it pays for itself in annual checkups, I's say 'go-for-it.

saxypanda
06-26-2007, 09:26 PM
Benefits include: Annual exam, Blood testing, Fecal analysis, Nail and wing trim
Plus of course major things like surgery, xray etc
I could get both bird covered for about $35 a month and thats if i choose everything.. if i just want the surgery coverage and all the major things it will be about $20-$25 a month.

shylevon
06-26-2007, 09:47 PM
Well, that's $420 a year, so the price sounds good if they do indeed cover annual checks. I doubt they would cover blood tests though (not that I don't believe that's what they told you), as that is something that is very objective. One vet may do one simple blood test while another would do total workups every visit if given the chance. My vet would suck my birds dry once a month if he could. You also have to ensure the insurance is not supplied by the clinic itself, but is offered through an outside agency. Otherwise, they may skimp on treatment if it is costing themselves money.

I would investigate it thoroughly and find out exactly what they mean by blood tests. If it is covered, I would go for it. I've never had a blood test yet that cost less than $100 to run.

michael
06-26-2007, 10:03 PM
Understandably if its anything like the health insurance us humans get today, the insurance plan itself will need a thorough exam not only by you but by an avian vet to determine if its also worth it to them. That way at least the vet will know why you can no longer afford to see them......Michael/Goofy

Sorry...I'm sure that was of absolutely no help.

ittyandrita
06-26-2007, 10:12 PM
yeah, i guess i would ask my vet what they thought about it. other than that, i am no help.

Ilovelovies
06-26-2007, 10:34 PM
What if you asked your vets recepionist if they had many patients with vet insurance. Then if they did maybe they could direct you to a good one, that was good about paying, reasonably priced, etc. Just an idea, hmm, i believe im going to do that :) .

Sharon

mjm8321
06-27-2007, 12:29 PM
You'll also want to ask your vet if they will accept that insurance. some vets will not so it's rather a waste of you pay for the insurance but cannot use it.

saxypanda
06-28-2007, 08:49 AM
Yeah I guess I would have to do all my homework with it.. I found out about it cause a few years back my job offered it with the normal health insurance. Ill call my vet and see what they say.

themillerman
07-07-2007, 07:22 PM
I work for an insurance company that underwrites a similar product, and all I can say is that you should be wary. Check out everything you possibly can, and be ready to dispute any and all claims. If you think health insurance is a mess..........