PDA

View Full Version : What type do I have??

Herc
06-30-2007, 08:35 PM
Hi there,

I'm new to the board.. and new to lovies! I'm mama to Hercules, whom I adopted last week from a friend. He is a beautiful bird... but I'm confused because he doesn't look like a lovebird - he is almost all red! He is about 10 yrs. old now and has apparently gotten lighter in color than when he was young - he used to be even more vibrant.

Does anyone know what type of lovebird he is? (or if indeed he is a lovebird?)I can't find any pictures or information on red lovebirds!

Thanks!!

p.s. I have a pic, I just don't know how to post it...

linda040899
06-30-2007, 08:48 PM
Hi Herc and welcome to our community!
Sounds like you might have a red suffused Peachfaced Lovebird but a photo would be most helpful. Here is a link that explains how to put photos so that you can leave links here for us to view:

http://www.lovebirdsplus.com/community/showthread.php?t=193

Buy A Paper Doll
06-30-2007, 08:54 PM
I was thinking the same thing, Linda.

Here's a link (http://www.africanlovebirdsociety.com/genetics/red.htm) to a photo on the ALBS site, showing what a lovebird with red suffusion looks like.

Herc
06-30-2007, 08:57 PM
Thank you, glad to be here :)

i'm still learning about lovies - i think i lucked out with such a nice bird tho....
i've tried the signature thing to see if the picture will post...
thanks!

Z28Taxman
06-30-2007, 09:07 PM
That deffinately looks like a red suffused lovebird to me. Cute

Herc
06-30-2007, 09:07 PM
paper doll,

i read the article in the link u sent me, thank you...!

i do have a few questions about it, the first being: it implies that the lovebirds "change" to this color as a very young bird before first moult and then lose the red colouring, or becomes this colour as an older bird, but hercules has maintained the red colouring for his full 10 yrs of life so far

the other being, is it a possible sign that he could be or was sick at some point? he seems pretty healthy for a 10 yr old bird....

btw, how long do lovies usually live for (in your experience) - there are lots of different things i've heard...

thanks! this board is great!

Herc
06-30-2007, 09:09 PM
thanks, tax

he is definately a cutie ;)

Flapjack
06-30-2007, 09:29 PM
Wow!! He's beautiful!!! I would LOVE to have a lovebird that color. My Flapjack is green, but I would like to get him a friend that is either blue or slate grey. I don't think it's easy to find a red lovebird. Lucky you!

Herc
06-30-2007, 09:31 PM
thank you, flapjack!

yes, i think so too! i was very lucky to get him - it was actually sight unseen so i feel even luckier!

linda040899
06-30-2007, 10:14 PM
Herc,
That's definitely a red suffused Peachie. There's no real explanation of how/why it happens but it's usually older birds that exhibit this coloration. I've got an older one that is turning red as I type this.

My oldest lovebird right now is a 17 yr old male Lutino and he's doing very well, all things considered. The oldest lovebird that I'm personally aware of died at age 19.

Susan27
06-30-2007, 10:15 PM
Suffusion lovebirds are so unique looking, so beautiful.

The books I have read, and from what I have read on the internet, it seems no one really knows why a lovie will change to this type of coloring. I have also read that it isn't genetic.

A healthy lovebird can live 15-20 years, or even longer as I have read. All mine are from 2 months to ~3 years (but I have only had them all for ~2 yrs, so I have a LONG time with my birdies!!:happy: )

Herc
06-30-2007, 10:44 PM
hi linda,

he has always been red... apparently was even brighter when he was young, but has faded a bit since he's gotten older

with my luck i will get to enjoy him for several more years, since he is 10 now!

thanks!

shylevon
07-02-2007, 12:01 AM
I've heard that the red coloring can be a result of a harmless liver condition. I don't think anyone knows for sure why it happens, but I have never heard of a lovie losing the reddness once it has begun.

saxypanda
07-02-2007, 09:07 PM
oh my he is beautiful!!!