PDA

View Full Version : Two's company, would three be a crowd?

Remali
07-04-2007, 04:55 PM
I recently got two new lovies, both are young...and I am sort of thinking of maybe (big maybe) adding a third young lovie in with them (I have my eye on a creamino, always wanted one). Would two pair up and then one be left out though? Or is it possible, seeing as they are all very young birds yet, that they'd all get along and not leave one out? I know there is no way of knowing for sure, but I wondered if anyone has ever had three birds together and if it was a peaceful and happy environment for the birds.

Mummieeva
07-04-2007, 05:35 PM
I would not put 3 together in same cage. The rule is 2 birds or 3 pairs(i am pretty sure about 3 pairs or might be four) or more. Reason being the 2 birds you have now could gang up on the new bird. You can add a new bird to your home. You will just need a new cage for the bird and a room to quarantine new bird in for 30-90 days. Plus the normal vet checks and all.

Steph

Susan27
07-04-2007, 06:36 PM
The rule is 2 birds or 3 pairs(i am pretty sure about 3 pairs or might be four) or more.

Steph

I have always wondered about this mulitple pair housing:

Would that have to be actual pairs, as in paired up prior to housing?
Could you put 6 individual birds and see who pairs up?
Or, could it be a mix of pairs and non pairs?
Another scenario, would all pairs have to be introduced at the same time?

It would be great to get a few BIG BIG cages (like a big flight cage like size) and house more than one pair.....then I could just stand at one cage and say all my hellos!!!

I know the odd number thing doesn't really work out from reading here (and books), one would be bullied by the others. Lovebirds....geeze, they should live up to their title :rofl: !:happy:

Mummieeva
07-04-2007, 07:13 PM
To my thinking 3 pairs is 6 birds. Even if not paired up yet.

Remali
07-04-2007, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the info, I kind of worried about that, so I will just leave my two youngsters in the cage by themselves. My older lovebird, Chile, has the other cage to herself, so for the time being I will stick with the three that I have now. I was worried that Chile, being a 10 year old female, wouldn't take too kindly to a new cage-mate, so that is why she is staying single, she's been a bachlorette all her life.

michael
07-04-2007, 08:34 PM
I have always wondered about this mulitple pair housing:

Would that have to be actual pairs, as in paired up prior to housing?
Could you put 6 individual birds and see who pairs up?
Or, could it be a mix of pairs and non pairs?
Another scenario, would all pairs have to be introduced at the same time?

It would be great to get a few BIG BIG cages (like a big flight cage like size) and house more than one pair.....then I could just stand at one cage and say all my hellos!!!

I know the odd number thing doesn't really work out from reading here (and books), one would be bullied by the others. Lovebirds....geeze, they should live up to their title :rofl: !:happy:

A few big cages? No, A FEW BIG BIG CAGES? I think somebody needs to be checked for M.B.S. And verrrrrrry soon too as this could be a serious condition, that if left untreated.....well...who knows what you'll go after next! Wild hippo's maybe?...............Michael and Goofy

Elle
07-04-2007, 09:18 PM
When we rescued Phoebe, my creamino, she was the third wheel in the cage. It actually started with 2 pair, one decided to be territorial and killed her mate. She was next. The two bonded birds were atacking and had one goal in mind: kill her.

I would not recommend three as a number or two pairs.

Susan27
07-04-2007, 10:18 PM
A few big cages? No, A FEW BIG BIG CAGES? I think somebody needs to be checked for M.B.S. And verrrrrrry soon too as this could be a serious condition, that if left untreated.....well...who knows what you'll go after next! Wild hippo's maybe?...............Michael and Goofy

M.B.S. What what what??? Should I be concerned??? I think I have the medication to treat that...what color are the pills again????

Oh, and naw...I don't like hippos, they snot at you if you get too close....I watched a program on rhino's last night...now that is an animal I could house...NO PROBLEM!!!

Susan27
07-04-2007, 10:30 PM
To my thinking 3 pairs is 6 birds. Even if not paired up yet.

I guess I was thinking, what if one girl lovie is being courted by 2 boy lovies....what would happen to the lonely girl with no mate? Poor neglected hennie all by her lonesome when that popular pretty hennie gets ALL the boys!! Ok, I think I am projecting human feelings onto my pets.....I may need some help after all.

I also guess that if you are to house mulitple lovebirds it would be a good idea to know the sexes? Or have all boys? Or does it matter as much in a multiple environment?

Sorry I just find this very interesting. Also not enough sleep a little too much caffeine

(guess...MBS...Multiple Bird Syndrom?, acronyms drive me bonkers)

Janie
07-05-2007, 08:14 AM
I do have three and the rare exception: They get along great. BUT, they are all three males and I am sure if one of the three was a hen, I'd have nothing but trouble on my hands. My oldest, Oliver, had been a single bird (other than the odd species being stuck in his cage sometimes before I adopted him ) had been a single bird for around 9 years when I got Shy & Big Boi, male clutch mates. I do not ever cage Oliver with them but the three are out together in their bird room, cages open, for as much as 8 to 10 hours a day if I am home. Never a fight or even toe biting that I've seen. Both of the younger birds like Oliver better than they do each other now but at least they still get along well enough to be caged together and to sleep together in separate cozies. I did not expect or plan on them getting along, just got very lucky. :) All three are very sweet birds and Oliver is as laid back as you'd ever see and maybe that is why it's worked. I would not recommend anyone putting three together and I did not allow my three together for six full months w/o me standing right there watching them. My priority was Oliver and his safety and once I was absolutely sure that they would not hurt him, I let them have full run in their bird room. Oliver is a very well preened birdie now, they both love to preen him and try to feed him. He won't accept the food but loves to be preened. :D

LauraO
07-05-2007, 09:53 AM
I would never put three lovies in one cage. Any one of them could get injured depending on the argument. I have heard of other birds such as parakeets that can live in threesomes, and have three rescue ones that came to us exactly like that. However, even though the male spent time with both one of the hens was treated better than the other.

I don't really suggest putting already established pairs in a larger cage with others if they are used to spending a lot of time in their own space/cage. I thought about doing this at one point, but I couldn't think of three pairs that would actually get along well with each other for a long period of time. If anyone does want to try this I suggest getting a really really big cage and test things out with the expectation that it may not work. Another option is building an indoor aviary or two that allows for enough space for escape or make an entire room that's bird safe to let the lovies out in. I would not offer cozies and I would let as many birds be flighted in cages as cozies, even if there are more cozies than hens, breed aggression and there will be fights, and being flighted allows for birds to escape easily if they are being attacked.

:omg: :omg:

Remali
07-05-2007, 07:00 PM
Wow, interesting dynamics of these birds!! I will definitely NOT add a third bird! I'm glad that I found this forum!!