PDA

View Full Version : I've heard but how?

iluvmyluvbird123
07-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Ok, Ive heard that you can teach a love bird fetch. How? Any ideas will be appreciated. :confused: And again im new at this so some of these things I ask are probaly no-brainers to you.:)

Janie
07-05-2007, 10:55 AM
Hmmmm, I would have no idea how to teach one to fetch. Not saying it couldn't be done but most "tricks" are for larger parrots.

Ilovelovies
07-05-2007, 11:08 AM
I'm not sure if it is possible or not either. Sure would be nice though, our lovebirds waiting on us hand and foot :lol 8) .

~Sharon

kimsbirds
07-05-2007, 01:10 PM
I've seen it done, but only after months, if not years, of a close human/bird bond. You can't make a bird do anything it doesn't want to do, so this would be a much further step along in the bird ownership process.

michael
07-05-2007, 04:48 PM
I don't know.......Maybe it would be best if left for the dogs. Newspapers and slippers would be kind of heavy for them to fetch.......Goofy and Michael

iluvmyluvbird123
07-05-2007, 04:56 PM
K thanks I wasnt sure If it true. B.c Ive never seen it done. Oh and thanks Kim

Eliza
07-05-2007, 07:27 PM
The Drs. Foster & Smith catalog often has articles in it re: training, health, diet, etc. They might have them on the website as well so try to visit when you have a chance: (www.DrsFosterSmith.com). Bird Talk magazine also has articles on trick training. There are some "clicker training" groups on Yahoo that deal w/ clicker training parrots, large and small. As with any animal, time and patience might yield the best results.

You'd be surprised what lovebirds, p-lets, budgies and 'tiels can learn to do :) Do a search for Bill and Coo on this forum: it's a 40's movie whose cast is primarily small parrots, with the "stars" being lovebirds. Anything is possible!

ETA: here are some parrot "tricks", if you will, that I found on YouTube. No, they won't help you teach Tweety or Skittles but they do show how much potential our little companions have :)

Zen can fetch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iZGYRRBwNg

Penelope can forage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6HUzQ_acWI

Tex can wave: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcJRU3Tz-ms

-e-

iluvmyluvbird123
07-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Oooohhhh thanks much much much!!!!:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

Janie
07-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Very cute links, Eliza! Thanks for passing them along! :)

I can just imagine trying to teach one of my three to fetch a ball. They are scared to death of those balls! :lol Even my two fearless younger boys won't have anything to do with them. :D

Eliza
07-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Very cute links, Eliza! Thanks for passing them along! :)

I can just imagine trying to teach one of my three to fetch a ball. They are scared to death of those balls! :lol Even my two fearless younger boys won't have anything to do with them. :D

You are most welcome -- I try to be productive in my down time at work :lol

Beetle was skittish around balls when he was younger. I'm going to try to introduce him to some this summer -- perhaps as he's matured his preference in toys has changed :rofl: