PDA

View Full Version : Strange

acardz
07-15-2007, 08:46 PM
Mindy starting nesting about a month ago she laid two eggs one on july 4th and another on july 7th. In her nesting box, well she plays in a drawer and i leave paper in it for her to strip i put a stuffed animal skunk in the drawer and she just stopped laying eggs! She sits behind the skunk and started to build a nest there. Today when i got home she was on top of the fridge HIGH and i was like hmmm. She sits on the eggs when i put her in her cage at night but during the day she stays with that skunk. She is eating playing and going to the bathroom fine. She has her calcium source but this is all strange. She normally has 4 in her clutch. Her last lay was in feb. But she stopped this time. I felt her tummy and no egg in there. Ever hear of something like this? She is 5 years 2 months old and a peachface.

Thanks

linda040899
07-15-2007, 10:27 PM
Five is a bit young for Peachie hens to slow down on egg laying but it's possible. While 6-8 eggs is the norm with mine, occasionally one of my hens will lay a small clutch. As long as everything else seems normal, I'd just chalk it up to a small clutch. You could have your avian vet check her just to be on the safe side.

acardz
07-16-2007, 01:25 AM
Well i just checked mindy. She is sleeping in her happy hut and i checked her vent and it's not swollen. She abandon her nest after laying 2 eggs(she never did this before). Linda, mindy has had a 4 egg clutch for two years the vet said it was odd also but nothing to worry about. I Put some calci boost in her water to be safe but i will make a vet appt for sometime this week. This skunk stuff animal did trigger this behavior iam sure. I found out a new trick to stop her egg laying? Hmmm. Iam going to keep a close eye on her but one thing i can say is she has been very playfull this past week very.