PDA

View Full Version : how can i tell if he(she) loves me? three's a crowd?

ittyandrita
07-19-2007, 04:27 PM
ok so i'm having trouble figuring out baxter's feelings for me. He wont ever initiate interaction but I can pick him up and he will let me give hour long scritches and he'll burrow- if its around bedtime and he knows he's not missing any fun with rita and jeffrey. Is he just tolerating this because he is scared and his reaction is to freeze up? the other two book it immediately if I try to make any contact that doesn't involve food. I just can't figure this little guy out. he acts like he's scared of me but does allow a lot touching. I dont know if I just want to believe he likes me but really he is just putting up with me. sigh. I know this isn't the picture section but here are just two cute pics of where I lost baxter the other day.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2089584829

oh one more thing- has anyone witnessed a dynamic between three lovies where two are little hooligans getting into trouble and the third tries to keep them under control? this is what it seems has happened with Rita, Jeffrey and Baxter. Rita is active but she'll sit around some times as if she's thinking "how did i get stuck with these two?" also- Baxter goes into their cage a lot, but never sets foot in his own. This is a recent happening and I monitored very close and there have been no issues whatsoever. I still put him in his own cage when i'm gone or at night, but let them play together in there? I feel bad when I have to take him out of their cage and lock him up in his own. Does it ever work to cage three lovies at the same time? I dont plan on doing this any time soon, but i'm just wondering if it does work in some cases. thanks

michael
07-19-2007, 10:17 PM
You know, I can't answer your second question. I've only got one Goofy bird! But, I think Baxter just really enjoys your company. Naturally he has to spend time with his birdy family, and what better time to spend but with you before bedtime. Of course after looking at his picture I'd have to scoop him up and stuff him under my chin too, then give beak rubs and scritches until my hands get numb...........Precious little Baxter that he is!.........Michael and Goofy

carrier
07-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Those pictures were TOO CUTE! :rofl: Those big eyes peeking out killed me!

Baxter is beautiful-I would have a hard time leaving that lovie alone.... the poor thing would definately be afraid of me due to my incessant coos, kisses and the nonstop love I'd be sending his way. I think if he stays with you for an hour then you definately have a bird who trusts and likes you. I'm lucky if Fenway lets me hold her for over 2 minutes! She always flies back to perch atop her cage.

shylevon
07-21-2007, 02:06 PM
My birds do that all the time, only it's, 'How did I get stuck with these nine? If those birds are lovebirds, then I must be someting completely different.' Then they go look in the mirror and hang their heads in shame. Poor things.

LauraO
07-22-2007, 01:29 PM
It sounds like Baxter likes you, he's just learning how to be friends with a human. Since he's still new to your home, this learning process will take a while.....It also sounds like Baxter is trying to make birdy friends with your other lovies. As long as no one is getting bullied or bloodied, I would let them play as you are. Of course, I wouldn't house the three together as there could be trouble. Somewhere down the road, you could always consider getting a friend for Baxter, but for now things seem like they're progressing well.

Love the pics. Lovies love drapes 8) 8)

michael
07-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Although this is only speculative. The more I think about it, it seems Baxter's the perfect go between. Maybe he's a birdy moderator capable of interacting with both parties, human or otherwise. Perhaps he just waits for you, expecting you to come to him when its time to go back. If he's not too fussy about being in his own cage, this may be the case, especially if he lets you return him with no problem. Its obvious he likes your company to be so willing to spend time with you. At the same time enjoys the company of the others as well. The other two may prefer their own natural company, and may be unsure of what to think about Baxter yet. They also could be sending him beware of danger signals that could be a little confusing at times. Then again maybe baxter doesn't have a female mate to boss him around yet, with the exception of you, who gratefully lets him do just about whatever he wants. Ohhh...if only we could be a lovebirdbird for a day. Just to know whats really going on..............and to get a few scritches, beak rubs, and a little treat before changing back:D................Michael and Goofy

ittyandrita
07-23-2007, 05:50 PM
great. i left baxter with rita and jeffrey for a second and when i went back there was a tiny pile of blue (from baxter) feathers laying on the ground. i feel awful. does this happen if they are just being bossy with eachother or were they fighting dangerously?

Janie
07-23-2007, 06:28 PM
A pile of feathers would scare the $&*# out of me and I would not leave the three together w/o supervision for a second. I do tend to be over protective but if I saw a single drop of blood or toe bite (or tiny pile of feathers), I would not let my three out together unless I was standing there watching them. This may not be a big deal, I don't know, but I would not take that chance.

ittyandrita
07-23-2007, 10:13 PM
they have been separated, i'm just pissed that i thought it was going so well. it was only four feathers, but still. oh well, i guess i should just be thanking my lucky stars it wasn't something more serious and i got this little warning sign to keep them apart, or much more closely supervised.

oh and baxter and i just finished a cuddle session...nothing beats the eyes closed in ecstasy look :)