PDA

View Full Version : I dont think it matters

iluvmyluvbird123
07-22-2007, 10:16 PM
I dont know if my lovey is a boy or a girl. I would like to know but I'm not a breeder or anything so I dont think it would matter that much. What do you think:confused: :confused: I know the Questions are no-brainers to most of you all >o

kimsbirds
07-22-2007, 10:23 PM
You can't tell visually. But, if you REALLY need to know, you can go to avianbiotech.com or healthgene.com and request a free test kit. When you receive it, you either pluck fresh chest feathers, or clip a toenail slightly to squeeze out a drop or two of blood, enclose this sample in the test kit, along with payment (usually around 24$) and send away for testing. Results come via email or reg mail, you choose.

Mummieeva
07-22-2007, 11:10 PM
To me it is good to know gender so you can be prepared. Since hens lay eggs to me it is vital to know so you can watch out for eggs and any issues from them. While it is not 100% that eggs will cause issues I like being prepared.

Steph

ittyandrita
07-23-2007, 02:12 AM
also, if you plan to add more lovebirds, it would help to know which gender you would have better chances introducing.

Janie
07-23-2007, 08:14 AM
I guess it is a personal choice, wanting to know the sex, and being a curious person, I would! :D Knowing what I do about lovies now, I'd want to know for the very reasons Steph mentioned. If I had a hen (I don't!) I'd want to be prepared for eggs and the possibility of egg binding.

Tango's_Mom
07-23-2007, 01:45 PM
I have never bothered to have Tango sexed, to me it wasn't really important, if I were ever to add another lovebird to the family though, I would definately make sure I knew what sex I had, and the sex of the new bird.

iluvmyluvbird123
07-23-2007, 04:54 PM
My bird isnt tame enough to let me clip its nails or pluck its feathers.

Mydoona
03-08-2008, 07:02 PM
you know...I read in two lovebird books that to tell the difference between lovebird sexes are if they sit with their feet together they are a female and apart they are a male...how STUPID is that!!..my birds both sit both ways.
and i read this in TWO different lovebird books.of course I threw them away and came straight to the boards.

michael
03-08-2008, 08:28 PM
I'm sure there are certain individuals that possess an uncanny ability to distinquish between the males and the females by perhaps observing several different characteristics of a lovebirds anatomy or behavior. Unless their dimorphic (visually different) I don't believe pelvic space alone would be enough to accurately make a decision as the differences between males and females I've been told are quite small. Still though, from eye shape to lower ground clearance this makes for a very interesting subject..........;)

Buy A Paper Doll
03-08-2008, 09:31 PM
It's totally up to you. Lots of people don't bother doing testing to determine the gender of their bird. Something to keep in mind as well, if the DNA test comes back male, it's still not a 100% guarantee you have a male. Milo's first vet has a moluccan cockatoo, a DNA'd male, who started laying eggs at the age of 7. And there's a member here with a DNA'd male lovebird who is actually a female.

...I read in two lovebird books that to tell the difference between lovebird sexes are if they sit with their feet together they are a female and apart they are a male...
I would have thought it was the other way around. Miss Melly stands with her feet waaaaay apart when she's in a laying condition. But at that point, you wouldn't really need to look at her feet to tell she's a hen, what with the nest and the eggs and all. :whistle:

Janie
03-09-2008, 01:22 PM
I know it's a personal choice and would not matter to many people but I couldn't stand NOT knowing the sex of my birds and especially if I had more than one bird.