PDA

View Full Version : Bird recommendation?

Estee
07-24-2007, 10:19 AM
Hi all, (I copied my post from Cockatiels to here):

My sister is considering getting a bird for my 6 year old nephew (plus siblings ages 12, 10 and 3). He fell in love with Tutti Frutti but I think most lovebirds would be too active/bitey for him particularly. He did love having Tutti sit on his shoulder for hours when we were at his house.

I think that as a family, they would have their bird out of the cage a lot. But, I think, a mischievous personality or excessively energetic bird would NOT be good for them.

My sister said they visited a pet shop while traveling and thet fell in love with some beautiful yellow cockatiels. She asked me what I think... and I figured I'd ask you all, because I have no idea but I trust you all; what I've read here counts infinitely more in care, love, good intentions and sound knowledge than anyone they'll meet in a pet shop!

So...
Is a cockatiel actually a good bird for them? I read nice things about parrotlets on this board. Might they be a good choice?

Or, can anyone recommend any good websites to visit? This is a serious commitment, obviously... I don't want them to bring home a bird for its beauty but have the personality be a mismatch... :confused:

linda040899
07-24-2007, 10:25 AM
No bird is a good pet for young children. If your sister wants to get a bird, it needs to be her bird and the children can learn to handle it properly under her strict supervision. Ultimately care/vet care are her responsibility, as young children sometimes forget to feed/water, clean cages, etc and they certainly don't have funds available for emergencies that require vet care.

If a bird is what's wanted and it's going to be her bird, I would suggest a Tiel. Parrotlets are too small and can easily get injured. Lovies are too active and can be nippy (hens).

This is my :2cents: . Hopefully, others will have more input.

indigo
07-24-2007, 10:35 AM
I agree with what linda040899 said.

Elle
07-24-2007, 10:49 AM
My mom had cockatiels when I was a child and I remember them to be mellow birds. I think if your sister gets a bird for the family (under her own care, of course) a cockatiel is a very good choice. They are more calm than lovebirds and can be very cuddly.

My sister also has a cockatiel and my 5 year old nephew adores it. This is the only bird they have that the children can handle under my sister's supervision and will not fly away.

mjm8321
07-24-2007, 12:21 PM
I had 4 Tiels and they are very docile. If they decide they must have a bird, I agree with the others that a Tiel would be best. Mine will occasionally attempt to give a bite but it's nothing like a lovebird or even a parrotlet for that matter.

salderm1
07-24-2007, 03:31 PM
My mom's tiel is a very sweet bird too, ALOT calmer than any of my little monkies! lol They can whistle and talk sometimes too.

Sheri

Eliza
07-24-2007, 04:26 PM
One of my favorite 'tiel websites (because one can't live on reading about lovies alone... or can they :lol): http://www.cockatielcottage.net/

I'd have to agree w/ what Linda & others have said: if the FAMILY is going to make a committment to having a parrot in the home, paricularly for a 6 y.o., then a cockatiel (particularly hand-raised and/or socialized) is likely the best possible choice. Budgies are too flighty and IMO, lovies and p-lets are a little too fiesty for a small child. I've read a bit on Bourke's parakeets and how a hand-raised/socialized Bourke can make for a nice companion for a responsible child as well. They aren't easy to come by so again: a 'tiel is likely a great choice.

With that said, there is a little girl (she can't be more than 6 or 8 )in my area who got a make ekkie for Christmas! Yes, her parents have other parrots and supervise her VERY closely. She and her parents are customers at a parrot store local to me and you should see her with this bird: I mean, he's totally besotted with his miniature caretaker!

michael
07-24-2007, 06:53 PM
I did adopt a pair of tiels awhile back. The small family that had them, for whatever reason, refused to take them when they moved. They were fairly trouble free and enjoyed each others company more than poeple. One was very protective of the other and was defensive mainly inside the cage. I do remember the bites as more severe than any lovies I've been bitten by, but still very tolerable. They were wonderful birds and when we found a good home for them my wife and I couldn't help but shed a few tears.
A six year old, I believe, should not be the sole reason for keeping a bird or birds. Adequate long term care and personal interest cannot be guaranteed by a child. The decision must be made by someone who understands the level of commitment needed to care for them and already carries with them the love for birds in particular. Although pets are a wonderful experience for children, parents must understand they will be the main providers of love and care, especially with birds, and will only be sharing the responsiblity in a positive way with their children with hopes they ultimately will benefit. Parents have to be prepared should the child lose interest, be it curricular, academic, or otherwise, to continue with the commitment initiated from the start.
One good question would be, in the event a bird or birds don't turn out as expected, what recourse would be taken in regards to their care?

Michael and Goofy lovebird

Estee
07-25-2007, 08:03 AM
Wow, did I say something that sounded like the kids would be in charge of the bird?

NEV-E-E-E-R!!! :)

Thanks to all for your input. While my sister always cares for the pets, she does look to the kids for enhancing the pet's playtime. To quote her, "My questions were more about the species and docile nature of the bird, so that we could figure out if it would be suitable for a family with kids who will want to have a bird they can hold and have on their shoulder."

Although everybirdie is entitled to their preferences of course. :)

michael
07-25-2007, 08:28 PM
You know. Those two tiels were pretty special. Only one would come out to visit poeple. I suspect it may have been the male, but at the time I had little knowledge about them. He/she was very affectionate, not nearly as active as a lovebird, and seemed to interact with just about anybody. If my schedule wasn't so crazy at the time we'd probably still have them along with this wacky lovebird Goofy. The woman who adopted them still has them and also had young children. I'm pretty sure she intended on breeding them too. We offered them for sale, and the morning the ad went in the paper she called and wanted them sight unseen, in fact she brought two of her children with her to help get everything together. Although we really didn't want money for them, and the price was to hopefully find someone who truly wanted them, she refused to not give us what we had asked for. Apparently she had lost a pair of her own from a house fire and getting these two was obviously very special to her. She had them "both" out in no time, and I was truly amazed at how close she became in such little time. It was like they knew each other already. I think I would have paid her to take them if she'd have let me! Those two tiels really did leave quite an impression on me and my wife. There was something about them right from the start. ....... best wishes your sister finds what she's looking for............Goofy and Michael

linda040899
07-25-2007, 08:38 PM
Wow, did I say something that sounded like the kids would be in charge of the bird?

NEV-E-E-E-R!!! :)
Thank you so much for that clarification!!! Believe it or not. We've seen things like this and that's why you got the comments that you did! :)

Tiels are great birds (not that lovebirds aren't) and are probably best suited to your sister's situation! My daughter has a female and I took in a male last yr. I breed lovebirds but still like my Tiels!

Flapjack
07-26-2007, 10:56 AM
Question... do tiels and lovebirds get along together outside the cage? I've always wanted a cockatiel, but when Jack came along, I fell in love with him. I've been thinking about getting Jack a friend, and may get him a mate, (hopefully in same cage, but ok if not) or, if the tiels and lovies can be out together, I might consider that (obviously in different cage).
Thanks,
Jeni

p.s. I'm having a hard time calling Jack a "her" after saing "him" for 7 months

Janie
07-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Jeni, from what I've heard and read, it's always possible that two different species will get along outside of their cages but more often than not, they don't.

Linda has both and might be able to help with your question. :)