PDA

View Full Version : Happiness in a lovie

Estee
07-30-2007, 07:46 AM
Hi all,

Tutti's been with our family for about 2 1/2 months now.

We love him. I am wondering how to gauge if he's happy. Let's put it this way: I have no reason to think he's NOT happy. His feathers look nice, he's eating and growing well, he hangs out with our whole family. He sometimes chirps (to my ear, beautifully, with a full range of birdie notes and sounds) for a while in the day, takes naps now and again, etc.

What he doesn't do: play with his toys much, or show a terrific amount of the mischievous behavior I've read so much about. He'll go on just abut anyone's shoulder. He does get a lot of shoulder time which includes climbing up a hammock and other furniture, and all over my kids and my husband (including inside their shirts).

As I'm writing this post, I'm starting to think that maybe he just fits into our family's life so well that I don't notice that he's getting lots of birdie play and exercise...? I'm not finding anything "hard" or "challenging" in his care...

I guess after reading so many warnings, I thought a bird would be somewhat hard to have in a home. Yet Tutti really fits right in. So I guess my question is, I'm finding him just a pleasure, so are we doing everything we ought to be doing? If he plays with everybody, and he looks happy and loves his skritches, can I assume he's happy? 8o

indigo
07-30-2007, 08:02 AM
He may not be playing with toys (yet), but he IS playing with you. He is climbing and moving around and seems to be very happy to me. Also he may just be adjusting to his new cage still. I'd also try moving his toys around some; maybe they just don't appeal to him where they are - just a thought.

linda040899
07-30-2007, 08:28 AM
I would say that he's happy!
Heck, when you have human shoulders to ride on all day long, humans to interact with and those same humans will scritch your head to your heart's content, who has time for toys?????????? :whistle:

Estee
07-30-2007, 07:58 PM
Thanks, that makes me feel better!

Actually, it makes me feel great! :)

wilkiecoco
07-30-2007, 08:33 PM
sounds just like kiwi. he loves to be with his human flock, riding on our shoulders, hopping from one to the other, climbing on our legs, arms, in and out of shirts - i think we are his human playgym!!!!!!!!! :happy:

kiwi never really plays with toys that much, but like linda said, with us giving him scritches and attention, he certainly shows us daily that he is happy and healthy. tutti sounds like he is thriving with all the love and attention you are showering on him. enjoy!!!!!!! :)