PDA

View Full Version : For those with Fischers...or are familiar with them!

marlowsix
08-01-2007, 05:48 PM
I have two baby Fischers that are brother & sister. They are totally bonded to each other and about 5 months old. I just love them, but unfortunately, the feeling isn't mutual. I have worked with them since they were two weeks old and they continue to act like I'm some total stranger who has come to do them bodily harm. I have them out playing each day, which they seem to really enjoy - until I come too close. Then they panic and head back to their cage for safety. I have tried seperating them and having some one-on-one time, but they still act like they can't wait to get back to the safety of their cage and each other. I have heard that Fischers are more high-strung than other lovebirds and because of this are tougher to tame. Is this the case, and I should just accept that they will probably never become the cuddly lovebirds I had hoped? Or could this be part of the "I want my independence/young bird rebellion stage" which they may grow out of eventually? I know that patience is key in dealing with these guys, and I'm really trying not to get discouraged but I'm curious if what I'm trying to do with them is still likely to happen or because of their disposition, I shouldn't get my hopes up.

Thanks!
Jayne

butterfly1061
08-02-2007, 02:54 PM
Or could this be part of the "I want my independence/young bird rebellion stage" which they may grow out of eventually?Jayne,

I know my little guys are only a couple weeks older than yours and yes, they are in their "independent" stage. Mine do the same as yours, but I know they will grow out of it. It will seem like forever. Just keep up what you are doing to tame them and eventually they will calm down. :)

Brandon Bl
08-02-2007, 07:36 PM
Our Fischers (also a bro and sis) are a bit younger -- mad as hatters, and tons of fun. We call them monkey birds, because of their love for swinging and hanging from anything (they love pieces of string with knots in it).

They were hand reared, and are happy to eat from our hands, and land on our heads and shoulders, but don't even think about petting them. We too adore them, but if they have affection for us it is well disguised. They also seem to have a lust for human flesh -- as can be attested to by my pockmarked earlobe. Will they ever calm down? I have no idea.

We have found, however, that they are absolutely crazy about Millett sprays. If you can start by feeding them Millett through the bars of the cage, and then with your hards inside the cage, they may soon be less frightened of you. Of course, this does mean that they see you as a walking bird feeder, but it might prove to be a good first step.

We look forward to hearing more about your adventures,

Brandon and Rachel (and Lemon and Lime)

marlowsix
08-02-2007, 07:59 PM
Thanks so much for the info on these little guys. It's just what I needed to hear. I need to remember that when I hear stories of how cuddly some love birds are...mine may not. And that's o.k. They are beautiful, full of personality and yes, Brandon you are so right - they certainly love the taste of human flesh!! Working with these two is definitely an adventure, one that I am loving...and will look at with less frustration now.

Brandon, since you are dealing with Fischers also (I had heard that they are a bit tougher to work with than some other types), I would love to hear how you are progressing and what tactics have worked for you and yours. From the little you mentioned, they sound similar in some of their personality traits. This is my first try at taming (my parent birds are not tame at all), so I am always looking for advice on these guys.

Thanks again!
Jayne

Brandon Bl
08-07-2007, 05:41 AM
Jayne -- our birds continue to warm up to us, but strictly on their terms. They like to climb all over us, nibble and occasionally bite. Though if there is something more exciting around -- say a lampshade to land on -- off they go until it suits them to return.

And may be that is the way that will stay...we're not sure. I have been feeling that it is important to get them to learn basic commands, and one of the two will come sometimes when called, as he knows a treat is wating for them. But we have a long way to go and no real method to our madness. I consulted with a parrot trainer who said the following:

In general, birds can be kept *either as bonded birds* (birds bonded to each other) OR as 'companions' for humans. Where you try to mix these two methods, the birds will find it extremely frustrating. They will eventually often try to 'defend' their own bird partner against the attentions of any other person; this is quite 'natural' and what they would do in the wild, against a third party.

The aggressive behaviours you are seeing are due to the fact that the birds are now leaving their baby-stage and becoming sexually mature; again this development is normal! Also, where birds are both paired up and untrained and have access to heads, shoulders etc this behaviour is more or less inevitable.

The best way to keep these birds would be to house them in accommodation in which they can just do their own thing as birds; with little direct interaction with humans. Since they are siblings, breeding should be prevented (if they are of opposite sex). So you would need a large cage with some out of cage time; or an aviary.

Human-companion birds (as opposed to paired birds) are best kept in seperate cages, though you can have the cages in the same room so birds can see each other.

---
I would be interested in hearing if other members of the forum agree!

Buy A Paper Doll
08-07-2007, 06:45 AM
Human-companion birds (as opposed to paired birds) are best kept in seperate cages, though you can have the cages in the same room so birds can see each other.
---
I would be interested in hearing if other members of the forum agree!

I'll disagree. :) I've got peachies. My pair are bonded to each other, as well as to my husband and me. Melody, who came to live with me about 4 months after Milo, took a bit longer to warm up to the people in the house, but it did happen. (She is my shirt as I type this.) Now she absolutely LOVES being with me and will abandon anyone else (including her mate) to get to me.

As for Milo, a breeder told me not to get a second bird because my first one wouldn't be "sweet" anymore. That turned out to not be true. Milo is still the sweetest bird ever.

I believe that enough time, patience, and love will warm any bird (or birds) up. :)

Brandon Bl
08-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the positive message Jennifer. Our two also seem more attached to us daily, so I do think there may, as you attest, be room in love bird hearts for more than just one!

Brandon