PDA

View Full Version : Aurora and her human tree...

jhessail1
08-02-2007, 12:07 PM
So with summer comes alot of extra work for me - I haven't had all the extra time I've needed to spend with my wonderful and forgiving fuzzies and feathered babies. In case you don't recall (I hardly ever have a chance to get on here), I got Aurora maybe a month ago, my first bird.

I make sure every day to spend 10 minutes + or - , 4-6 times a day, talking to her, putting my hand in the cage, asking her to step up on my finger, etc. This went SO well for the first two weeks, but recently she's decided unless she's on a perch, she'd rather rip my hand up than step up. Like if she's on the side of the cage, it's a game to see if she can draw blood... It got worse until she began doing this even when she's on a perch. I say in a calm but scolding voice "NO bite" and when she stops I change to a cheery "good bird!".

I've found that she won't hesitate for a second to hop onto my arm or wrist, especially if I have a shirt with long sleeves and buttons :lol . Last night we finally did our first bathroom time - she was a bit cautious, but it looked like she was having fun using me as her play gym.

So, I do have a question after all this: Am I potentially reinforcing bad biting behavior with the way that I am scolding when she nips, then changing to a happy tone when she stops??

BarbieH
08-02-2007, 12:39 PM
Am I potentially reinforcing bad biting behavior with the way that I am scolding when she nips, then changing to a happy tone when she stops??

That is a real possibility. What I think is happening, is that Aurora is becoming very territorial about her cage and is trying to protect it against those invading fingers. Some birds tolerate fingers in the cage, others don't. A territorial or nesty bird definitely will not, and you risk being bitten hard whenever you do it.

She's doing what is natural for her by biting the cage invader. It's probably going to be best for you to modify your behavior, than to try to train her to modify hers. :) It will also be safer for your fingers.

It sounds like she is doing well on you and away from her cage, so do that when you can. You will both enjoy it much more. :):)

jhessail1
08-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the advice! That's what I was afraid of... After what I'm reading here I'm starting to think I have a hen (most of my pets are mellow boys, this is truly the most moody creature other than myself in the house!).