PDA

View Full Version : crazy bird...

Flapjack
08-02-2007, 08:09 PM
Ok- so Jack's got a new wierd behavior. Wondering if any of your birds do this...?
He'll be playing with a hanging toy, happy as can be. Sometimes, when he plays with it while hanging on to the bars on the side of his cage, and the toy brushes up against his shoulders or back, he screams at it. Then he proceeds to flop around on the bottom of the cage trying to attack whatever it is that just had the nerve to dishevel his perfect feathers! He flaps his wings, and tries to bite his back or shoulder area, like the offending toy is still there. It's the funniest thing, but looks a little disturbing.
I know it's nothing like he has pain in the area and the toy is hurting him by brushing up against it, because I always go over to him and cuddle all over his back and wings just to be sure, and he's fine, and off to play with something else.
He's not actually biting himself, or plucking feathers, it just seems like some off the wall game he plays by himself.
Too funny:rofl:

DebSpace
08-02-2007, 11:22 PM
Wow, this sounds like it would make a great video! :p Sounds like normal territorial defense to me, but we'll see what others have to say.

mjm8321
08-03-2007, 11:43 AM
Yep, sounds like a typical (dare I say) H E N !!!! :rofl: :rofl:

I have a few that do the same type of thing though most of mine have mates that get the brunt of their tantrums.

Flapjack
08-04-2007, 12:03 AM
Actually, I think this may be an extension of something he used to do when he was younger. When he was about 4 or 5 months old, and wanted attention, he would hang on a toy and just start screaming bloody murder, flapping his wings in a panic like he was caught on something. I'd go running and he'd stop what he was doing, hop down, and look up at me, as if to say "I KNEW I'd get you to come and see me- now PLAY with me!" ;)
My little guy has quite the sense of humor, and a real trickster. He's 7 mos now, and I can't wait to see what he has in store for me.

(I know, I know... I'm still in denial about his gender. I haven't told him he's a she! :rolleyes: )