PDA

View Full Version : New lovie

cam98
07-03-2005, 01:54 PM
Yesterday i picked my new lovie up :) I think he is a Seagreen Cobalt Violet whatever he is hes sooooooo pretty :happy: Ive named him bluey(blue-y) and have put him in with my other birds in the new aviary.
Will post pics soon. :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

zlatushka
07-03-2005, 02:19 PM
Glad to hear the happy news about your new lovie.... I was a little confused/concerned though as it sounded like you didn't quarantine again? :confused:

Paulette
07-03-2005, 11:33 PM
Congratulations Cam! He sounds really pretty. It is terribly hard to quarantine. I got 2 new cockatiels on Thur. and set them up in the Kitchen away from the other birds after I scrubbed and disenfected all items. They came in seperate cages but the male cried to be with the female and I put them together. Then at bed time they started crying non stop. I took a cockatiel from the bird room to show them there were others but it didn't help. My house is very small and we needed to go to bed. I ended up putting them in the bird room but they are on the opposite wall from everyone else. They setteled right down and went to sleep. Paulette

kiwilovies
07-04-2005, 01:47 AM
Yaaaayyy for you! :D
We love lovies... The more the better I say ;)

cam98
07-04-2005, 04:05 AM
This time i didnt quarantine for the simple reason that it takes to long i had to put him in the new cage with the other birds to avoid Ying trying to kill him :evil: because if i put him in a week or two later Ying would have thought it was her cage and would of wanted to attack the new intruder in HER cage >: i just wish she wasnt so dominant.So im taking the risk and hoping that everything goes alright. :omg:

linda040899
07-04-2005, 07:42 AM
Whenever I think about not quarantining new additions, my memory goes back to an individual on Lovebird Chat who didn't quarantine a new bird. This happened quite a few yrs ago. When she tested the new bird, it had PBFD. By that time, quarantine was too late. I truly can't imagine how I would feel if that happened to me. I'm not really open to taking that chance, either.

mangotiki
07-04-2005, 08:20 AM
Cam, you could have quarantined the new bird and then put Ying in his cage that he spent the quarantine in...then move them both to Ying's cage after they are used to each other...even better, house them side by side after the quarantine and get them used to each other slowly and under supervision...throwing two birds together could have caused ying to attack while you werent there (overnight) and you could have awoke to a dead or injured bird...jsut my :2cents: and something to be aware of for future additions :wink:

With any luck however, your new bird will be healthy and Ying will like him right away, my hens are like that, it is either love at first sight or total hatred :lol , and nothing I can do about it!!!

So, how is Ying liking her new hubby? I coudnt remember if you mentioned it, is he as old as ying? Females will usually prefer a male that "knows what he is doing", if you get my drift... :rofl:

traci

cam98
07-05-2005, 03:57 AM
This is whats been happening so far in the new cage. :)
YING=Likes Bluey. Doesnt like Olive. Loves Yang(who is a female >: )
YANG=Likes Olive .Doesnt like Bluey.Loves Ying(who is a female >: )
OLIVE=Doesnt like anyone :lol But makes exceptions to Yang sometimes :lol .
BLUEY=Likes everyone but will try to get closer to Ying than other birds :lol .
So far things have been going great with the exception of Ying and Yang being bonded >: >: Any suggestions on how to unbond them please would be greatly needed?
Thanks loads

Sparkette65
07-05-2005, 09:31 AM
I would take both pairs out of the aviary, if only for a couple of days, I would put each pair in their own cage (If you still have the cages) Ying/bluey in one, and yang/olive in the other. (hope I got that right)
Put the two cages where ying and yang cant see each other or hear each other, for a few days. If you watch, they should start to preen each other and maybe sit with each other for a bit during the day, and could even feed each other a couple of times, (they are not being distracted by each other, ying and yang that is...and it may help)
after say a couple of days, to maybe a week, I would put them all back into the aviary.
I chat with a breeder all the time. and she is pretty good. She says it usually takes her birds about 2 or 3 days to start to bond a bit (without distraction from other birds they were used to) I have been questioning her endlessly on this topic as I have a few that I want to put together....and I had a pair of females that werent in the same cage, but im pretty sure they were stuck on each other.
If you try it, let me know how it goes.
Good luck,
Lori