PDA

View Full Version : Small chirps

yellowbird
07-03-2005, 06:03 PM
Another question. When I go to pet Yellow, she makes this small chirp sound, almost a high pitched one. Do you think that something hurts her or something like that? It's just a single chirp. I'm not sure if she's more in pain because of her first molt and her feathers hurt or something? I'm actually not sure what it's from. Just curious.

Elle
07-03-2005, 06:15 PM
Joann,

what I have experienced with my lovie is yes, those pin fethers hurts when I pet her head and she makes those high pitch chirps. I am very careful as the feather can be pulled out very easily. If I am gentle enough, my lovebird will let me rub it's head and remove some of the keratin on the feather for her.
Lots of baths and playing with water will help relieve some of the discomfort when they are molting.

Elle

kimsbirds
07-03-2005, 09:50 PM
To me, that little chirpy sound translates to:

"Mummie, I love you a ton but PLEASE don't touch me there cuz I gots new feathers acommin' in and they hurt me !"

Kim

Buy A Paper Doll
07-03-2005, 10:00 PM
I'll take that little chirp over the bite that says, "OW, momma, I told you don't touch those pinfeathers!"

shylevon
07-04-2005, 12:09 AM
A bath will help the keratin sheath around those pins get softer, faster.

Then you can get back to 'Lovin' up Yeller' like you are used to, and it won't hurt her a bit.

yellowbird
07-04-2005, 09:08 AM
What can I do to make her take a bath? She did it a couple of times, but doesn't want anything to do with water now.

kimsbirds
07-04-2005, 03:52 PM
I do dunk baths for those of my birds who don't take baths often. I run a warm spray of water in my kitchen sink, hold birdie in one hand, and gently scoop water onto their bodies and under their wingies. Then the best part, we snuggle up in a clean soft towel and get scritches until we're partially dry:)

yellowbird
07-04-2005, 04:56 PM
Thanks Kim. I will have to try that.

shylevon
07-05-2005, 12:52 AM
Yup, me too. Bathing on their own, my gals only get their bibs wet, and that ain't good enough for this momma.

I hold them gently around the ribs and they perch on my finger and I dunk them to the throat in lukewarm water. If they have the finger to wrap their toes around, they don't get freaked out. With the other hand I scoop water over them and raise each wingie to get water right up into the wingie pit. It also gives me a chance to run my fingers all over their bodies to check for abnormalities without the fear of digit amputation and copious blood loss.