PDA

View Full Version : Mite Spray?

dani
08-10-2007, 03:03 PM
I have a question....Do any of you use mite spray,and is it safe?
For all of those who've seen the Ammy pics, or you can take a look at my sig, Ammy's feathering is a bit rough, but I tend to think that this is because he is young, currrently just finishing a moult, and he was not previously kept in good conditions. My dad thinks that Ammy has mites, and that I should spray him with a mite spray, but i've never seen any evidence of mites, he's covered with a light blueish cloth and i've never seen anything on it; also i've examined his skin while we have play sessions, and under the feathering it's clean and unflawed. The brand of spray he purchased is 'four paws' i think. I'd be grateful for anyone's opinion, as my family seems to think i'm being paranoid about the safety issue of it. :roll:

linda040899
08-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Hi Dani,
Even though you can purchase mite spray in pet shops and other stores, it's not good to use it. You've already done the "mite" test so I would not use anything that could hurt Ammy. Chances are that Ammy just needs time for his system to recover and his feathering to start looking better. He's improved a lot since he's been with you but you may not see the completely transformed Ammy for another yr. It's going to take time and there are no shortcuts. Frequent bathing will help but I, personally, would not use anything but water.

Sorry, but the spray is not a good idea! :)

mjm8321
08-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Yep, I second that. No spray needed. Ammy will moult out all those dull feathers and the new ones will eventually come in bright and healthy looking. I'm sure it has to do with his previous diet, living conditions and stress.

A while back we adopted a little lovebird named Clyde. Clyde ended up being Clydette but she had horrific looking feathers. It took about 6-8 months, but she has lovely feathers now after eating a good diet and living the "good life". We also gave her Nori (the kelp wraps used for making sushi) as it and other edible seaweeds are supposed to be good for feather health.

michael
08-10-2007, 06:16 PM
A NO GO here too...Anything that says avoid the eye's and face plus remove all water and food bowls would definately be on my list of "do not use" whether its for birds or not!.......Michael and Goofy

dani
08-10-2007, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the opinions, I thought as much also. From the instructions on the back, it seemed way too strong to spray on my birds' bodies. I'm doing the standard 'mite test' tonight though by using a plain white sheet, just to pacify the old dad that he is not always right :x