PDA

View Full Version : *Miss* Didgie?

BarbieH
08-15-2007, 12:54 PM
Okay, we never had Didgit DNA sexed, even though we could have (saved his shell in the freezer for over a year). It didn't matter since we never planned to pair him up. As time went on, it seemed that Didgit was a male, a big territorial male.

I'm starting to doubt that. He has been shredding his tray liner newspaper, and he does a dang good job of it! He has also made a little nest in one corner of his cage, nice and soft with feathers and shredded paper. It was better than anything Gracie ever made without an egg present!

One of two things could be going on: Either he's a very talented male trying to impress Gracie, or he's going to lay an egg. :eek: I tried to feel his little pelvic bones, but I honestly cannot tell; they seemed a little bit wider, but he's a bigger bird in general. No sign of torpedo butt.

Will keep you posted if anything develops ...

kimsbirds
08-15-2007, 02:04 PM
*Didgerellaaaa*

Elle
08-15-2007, 02:22 PM
The bets are on!

I bet Didgie is a little nesty hen! :whistle:

BarbieH
08-15-2007, 02:35 PM
:lol I don't think I'd want to bet! :lol But I've never heard of a male lovie trying to impress a female like that ...

Good thing the name transfers so well. :D

Kirby
08-15-2007, 02:43 PM
5 sunflower seeds Didgie is a GIRLLLLLLL!!!!!!

I also heard that females in general tend to be larger than males. ( You gotta store the eggsies somewhere I guess)

Skittles is a "proven" female, and she is ENORMOUS. 50grams compared to Kirby's measly 40.

mjm8321
08-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Ahhhhh, the old "fake 'em out". Once the hormones kick in, nest building takes over.

I second Kimmie's name for "her"! :lol

linda040899
08-15-2007, 03:01 PM
5 sunflower seeds Didgie is a GIRLLLLLLL!!!!!!
Five and I'll raise you 5! I've never had a male that talented! In fact, I've never had a male even attempt to build a nest........:whistle:

carrier
08-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Five and I'll raise you 5! I've never had a male that talented! In fact, I've never had a male even attempt to build a nest........:whistle:

That is starting to make me think Fenway is a male, actually...:rolleyes: the only thing she/he does is nibble tiny bits out of paper...no shredding and no strips in the bum-parts.

I must agree with everyone else that it is sounding like Didgie is a GIRLY-BIRD ;)

michael
08-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Hmmm..... Already built a nest.....Didgerella.........."free" sunflower seeds.....I'll go with big nesty hen. Ten more sunflower seeds for me. and Goof kicks in ten too. Besides, he said he'd cover me..........Goofy and Michael

donna1064
08-15-2007, 04:39 PM
Baby wants to kick in hers too....says she will see all your bets, and raise them with a nutriberry, a spray of millet and a chunk of birdie bread....:whistle:

Kirby
08-15-2007, 04:58 PM
Kirby said he'd raise the bet by 41 seeds, throw in his bag of food, molting conditioning and his lizard print happy hut

Skittles... just fluffed up and said... Girls Rule...

(Kirby, when he/she "shreds" paper, it takes a good 4 - 5 times for him to get the PERFECT piece to attempt to stuff in his butt. And even then, the pieces of paper are all over the place...

Skittles, on the other hand, can shred a perfect line out of a cardboard box and have it in her bum in under 3 seconds. Her little bites look like one of those jagged, scrap book scissors for cool edges.)

BarbieH
08-15-2007, 05:13 PM
I've never seen Didgie tuck those pieces of paper, but the "evidence" (still unproven, ahem!) was the tray liner itself: long, neat edges on the newspaper. I might have seen Didgie begging Sammy to feed "her," but anybody can feed anybody anyway, no questions asked. ;)

There's no use betting if someone doesn't take the opposite side! C'mon folks, who's going to take the long shot, that Didgie really is a boy? You spins an egg, you takes a chance!

"Didgerella, Didgerella,
You're no fella,
Didgerella!"

Kirby
08-15-2007, 05:22 PM
Hmm... Do you have any proven Males?

How big is Didgie compared?

If he is the same size, then Ill change my bet to male.. but if he is noteable larger.. I'm sticking with my female bet...

BarbieH
08-15-2007, 05:29 PM
I've actually got five proven males, two because they have offspring, two because of their genetics (if they were girls they'd be visual Cinnamons), and one genetically tested. Didg is a few grams heavier; I think he's around 47 g, the others are 40-44. His chest always feels quite full, and he has very strong legs and feet. I figured that's the physique he inherited from his Momma, Gracie. :)

Kirby
08-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Nope, I'm sticking to my Girlie bets!!!

He sounds just like Skittles, who weighs 50 grams and is apparently female.
Skittles always looks solid and I would guess had VERY strong feet and legs when she was younger. Shes now older and I think has arthritis, but not suffering!

GIRLLLIIIEEEE

linda040899
08-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Stakes are getting pretty high here! I'll match the seeds, millet, birdie bread, nutriberry and raise by a half dozen figs! :lol

Kirby
08-15-2007, 05:45 PM
So far I think it's:

Didgerella
6 approx

Didgit
ZERO

Eliza
08-15-2007, 06:26 PM
I'll throw in a shreddie toy ;)

I think that Didgit is a Didgerella, too :D

mjm8321
08-15-2007, 06:52 PM
I hereby request recent photos of Digderella prior to wagering. :)

Kirby
08-15-2007, 07:15 PM
*bangs hands on desk repetitvely*

WE WANT PHOTOS!!! WE WANT PHOTOS!!!

TGerard
08-15-2007, 08:14 PM
Nope, nosirree, Didget is no female. He gacks for Gracie and humps his happy hut. Case closed. The only "nest" he is building is to emulate whatever Gracie does. I see the longing in his eyes for Madame Gracie... his hormones speak volumes.

Buy A Paper Doll
08-15-2007, 08:48 PM
Me and Melody think Didjit's a girl.

We are willing to bet three avicakes and a teaspoon of hemp seed and the dog. (But don't tell our momma about the dog part.)

~Milo Lilo

Kirby
08-15-2007, 10:40 PM
HAHAHAHAH @ Humping :P

Kirby humps the corner of his cage...so no doubt he's a male either :p

ittyandrita
08-15-2007, 11:39 PM
listen, I know its not a lovebird, but my DNA TESTED MALE 'presents' himself to me, an extremely female act to do. I wouldn't make any decisive decisions based on behavior...

linda040899
08-16-2007, 12:30 AM
Nope, nosirree, Didget is no female. He gacks for Gracie and humps his happy hut. Case closed. The only "nest" he is building is to emulate whatever Gracie does. I see the longing in his eyes for Madame Gracie... his hormones speak volumes.
Females have been known to imitate males almost to perfection (at least in lovebirds :blush:).............

I raise the ante another 5 figs! Female!

graushill
08-16-2007, 04:03 AM
Whoa, the stakes are really, really high! :omg:

I love an underdog, so while I would like to side with Tim on this (the lone voice for Didjit being a male) I must admit that in my flock the ability to build a nest belongs exclusively to the hens - the males like to chew and rip up a little, but the crazed *ahem*, I mean, all purposeful look in search of nesting materials, the meticulous shredding, the arranging of materials in nice, organised piles, that is all HEN.

So my vote (and Pontus' and Piccolo's) goes to

DIDJERELLA

Gloria

Mummieeva
08-16-2007, 05:12 AM
I will take the betting Didget is a male. He is just going to extra lengths to impress Lady Gracie.

Steph

Elle
08-16-2007, 05:34 AM
Should we bet on when the first egg will arrive??? :rofl:

TGerard
08-16-2007, 07:39 AM
Should we bet on when the first egg will arrive??? :rofl:

All this rampant gambling... you all should be ashamed...

...you folks need a hobby! :p

BarbieH
08-16-2007, 08:14 AM
...you folks need a hobby! Like raising birds ... :lol

My little androgy-Didgie has been very sweet to me since yesterday. Either she's happy to have her gender finally guessed correctly, or he is in love with me because of the preening he got yesterday. Maybe both.

Janie
08-16-2007, 08:18 AM
Me thinks you got another....... HEN in da house! ;)

shylevon
08-18-2007, 12:37 AM
A HEN. Sorry Timmy, but I think you have it wrong.

Only, I am more in favor of Didgititta.

Susan27
08-18-2007, 10:59 AM
It is soundling like poor Digdet is gender confused. I only bet on outcomes I am sure of. I am undecided!!

But....within my hen/hen pairs, the lesser hen-like lovie takes on more of the male lovie roll....but still displays their heniness. Humm....I think I am actually on the hen side of this conflict.

michael
08-19-2007, 12:23 PM
OK.....uh......er....I'll bet Didgies a BOY. ...Lets see..... that will be ten sunflower seeds for me, and ten for goofy. 8) ..........Michael, Goofy, and Sharky............:whistle: