PDA

View Full Version : I'm afraid my birdy is goin to get hurt

iluvmyluvbird123
08-18-2007, 09:38 AM
My birds wings are clipped. It still thinks it can fly. When I get it out it tries to fly. We try to catch it but sometimes we just cant, Its fell behind things and on the ground from a high drop [[my dad is 6`5]]. Any ideas.

Mummieeva
08-18-2007, 10:09 AM
If the bird can not even glide then I would only take it out in a small room and sit on the floor. That way to minumize the chances of a bad fall.

Steph

Buy A Paper Doll
08-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Yes, what Steph said, at least until some of the feathers start to grow back. Then you can ask for a 'modified wing clip' which will give him a little more flight. The idea is to just clip enough flight feathers that your bird can still fly safely to the floor. You want to limit flight, but not eliminate it completely. If you do a search on this site, you should be able to find an article explaining how to do this. with pictures and everything.

When I have the vet clip my birds' wings, she starts with, say, the 5 outermost flight feathers on each side, and then she encourages the bird to fly to me. If he can still get height, she clips one more and we try again. We repeat this process until he has just enough flight to glide safely to the floor.

Janie
08-18-2007, 12:57 PM
I agree with Steph and Jennifer. :)