PDA

View Full Version : Bird Sitting

CaptMicha
08-19-2007, 12:03 PM
I don't travel very often but when I have to leave home more than overnight, I often ask my neighbors or a friend, or a family member if they're at home to watch Daisy and Clover for me. It's too much of a hassle to bring them on trips with me.

The problem is that everyone is kind of afraid of them because they get bitten. It's hard to believe because when people hold them in my room, when I'm around, Daisy and Clover will fly right over to check them out and never bite when I'm around. It's so cute. Also, they look so fluffy and cute and innocent.

I tell people don't try to touch them and they don't even try to. They get bitten when they touch the cage.

I even tell people it's better if they don't take them out for playtime and show them to put the trash can to block off the doors when they take out the water dishes.

Any advice?

And what do you do for bird sitting? Take them with you, drop them off some where, etc.

Janie
08-19-2007, 12:39 PM
What I do is.....stay home! :lol When I absolutely have to be gone, I make sure my son (21) or husband is home. I've looked for a good bird sitter for over two years, asking my dog and avian vet, but with no luck. Part of the problem, IMHO, with birds is that they really are fearful of most strangers and what I want is someone who can come in, let them out, play with them, etc. Even Oliver, who used to be very friendly to everyone, is leery of strangers. I think it's because he's watched the other two and since they freak out when anyone other than family members comes into their room, now he does, too. What I want is a bird person when it comes to my birds and so far, haven't found one.

My birds would not bite a stranger....they'd never let a stranger get close enough to them for that. :D

Flapjack
08-20-2007, 01:00 AM
That IS a tough one. And actually something I was going to ask as well.
I'm a little worried to have someone come here to the house to check on Jack, because I'm afraid that it would amount to just a few minutes a day.
I also don't want to leave him at a friend's house, even though he would get more attention, but a friend may not know all the precautions to take with birds, i.e. air fresheners, perfume, teflon, people food, etc. As I'm going away at Christmas, I can't ask someone to change their whole lifestyle when they have company or something, and want to light candles.
Here's my actual question...
Jack came to me from my brother-in-law. He has many birds, all have been very healthy, and my brother-in-law is a fanatic about his birds. He disinfects water bowls twice a day, sweeps 3 times a day, and the only new birds he's gotten since Jack was born have been vetted and quarantined and are fine.
So, even with all the birds over there, and a spotless house, could Jack go there for boarding? Or are you supposed to keep your birds separate from all
other birds?
I guess the same question would apply if I got another baby from Greg. If I know all his current birds are healthy, and know his incredible care for his birds and their health, would I still have to quarantine a new baby?
Sorry for the long post...

ittyandrita
08-20-2007, 01:32 AM
I've debated this a lot, boarding vs. having someone drop by to take care of my guys. I have reservations about boarding somewhere with other birds, and in fact I have so many large cages, it would be a bit impractical and I know stressful for my birds. I got some referrals from my local bird club about good bird sitters and have come across a good solution. This woman is a total bird lover and when she first came to meet them spent more time then i expected getting to know them with me there so they didn't freak out. It really does help when its another 'bird' person watching, because if they aren't scared the birds wont feel as nervous. For un tame lovies in particular (i have 3) I developed an ingenious trick to get them to go back to their cages without have to chase them down and shove them in. I just show them the millet and lay it in their cage. it gets them moving their feather butts pretty quickly. i have NO idea how i was able to come up with that idea :) My senegal even tolerated her! not an easy feat. But he picked up on how comfortable she was with him. Also, when they are watching the birds, I think they are more willing to spend time with the birds, because, what bird lover doesn't relish time with any bird they can get their hands on?? :) They also know what signs to look for in case of illness or the like. Maybe try to find other bird owners in your area that would be willing to do it?

the thing about quarantine- even if the birds were kept in a closed , healthy aviary, they can still hold bacterias they only become present in large numbers when they are in stressful/new situations, which are then passable to your healthy birds. I read a better description of this on a breeders website once, if anybody can clear that up a little for me...
but quarantine I think also lets you have one on one time with your little new on.

CaptMicha
08-22-2007, 08:57 AM
I think too that it's impracticable to schlep (I can't believe this word was in the spell check!) your birds to a boarder and unsafe. Also, I can't bring my turtle and piranhas so somebody has to come over to the house anyway.

Eliza
08-22-2007, 06:54 PM
I'd likely leave Beetle (and Cricket, the bunny) with my parents. They might not go so far as to play with them but they'd chat w/ the critters, take them onto the screen sunporch, play music for them, etc. If my parents weren't available and I couldn't have a co-worker look in on them I'd board at my veterinarian. There are at least 4 stores local to me that board birds and while I trust 3 of them completely (staffing & sanitation-wise), I'm not so sure about OTHER parronts.

If you have a friend, family member or neighbor who will likely be helping you with the critters, have them come over every now and again to watch your basic routine. That should make them more comfortable. I know that you play with Daisy & Clover but understand why you might be hesitant to let someone else try to do that. Have the caretaker stay a bit and maybe watch TV in the same room to give them ambient attention.

Best of luck!

Flapjack
08-22-2007, 07:10 PM
What would you all do in my situation...
Shenzi will be at her vet, and Jack is an only bird. If I had someone come and look in on him, I think they'd only stay a few minutes, and maybe just talk to him. If they let him out, it would be too hard to get him back in.
I just found out that my brother-in-law is going to CA, too, at X-mas. He has someone he totally trusts come to take care of his birds.
Would it be too much of a chance to take Jack there- if he was in a totally separate room from the rest of the birds, but could still hear them?

linda040899
08-22-2007, 07:23 PM
Hi Jeni,
Here's my question for you regarding your brother-in-law. How often does he bring in new birds and how long does he quarantine? Is his quarantine area in a separate air space from the rest of his birds?

Since Jack is an only bird and he goes for regular vet visits, you know the status of his health. It sounds like your BIL has his act together but I'm going to wait for your response before I go any further.

Elle
08-22-2007, 07:38 PM
I get two person to come over and check on my birds. When it was only Blu and Phoebe, I would send them to Cindy (Bomom) who is a wonderful pet sitter.

With 5 birds, I cannot send everyone to her place. The poor woman would loose her mind!

I have a neighbour who has an Amazon, Hunter. We visit every week and get our birds together. We hold each other's bird so we are comfortable with each other. We help each other trim nails and wing clips. If I have to go on vacation, I will ask her to feed my birds while I am gone. I would not ask her to let everyone out of their cage because it may be nightmare to get everyone in. If I want my birds to come out, then I have to stay home and say bye bye to vacation or get away. I know my neighbour will turn lights on in the evenings and turn them off at bed time.

I would also ask Cindy to drop by on her way home to ensure everyone is doing good. It's not a matter of not trusting my bird sitter, it's a matter of better safe then sorry. If something happens and my neighbour is unable to look after my birds (accident and is in the hospital, family emergency and has to leave town etc) I have a back up plan.

If Cindy ever goes back on vacation, Bo is always welcomed in our home. Bo is an only bird, she has been in contact with my birds before and all my birds have been to the vet and tested for the 5 main deseases. If my neighbour goes on vacation, Hunter will be well looked after. :)

And that is by boarding/ birdiesitting plan!

Flapjack
08-22-2007, 07:45 PM
Thanks Linda,
Since Jack has been born, Greg's only brought 1 new pair (quarantined for 3 mos about 6 months ago), and 3 young birds from The Bird Hut (almost at the end of their quarantine period) into the house. He has a main bird room, and 2 doors down from that is the quarantine room, at the back of the house. At X-mas, I'd put Jack in the living room, at the front of the house. If he gets any new birds between now and X-mas, I wouldn't even think about it.
It would make me sad, thinking Jack was all alone in the house for 4 or 5 days...but at the same time, I would never jeopardize his health or safety.
What would you do?

linda040899
08-22-2007, 08:18 PM
With a track record like your brother-in-law's, I would feel comfortable letting Jack stay there. At your place, Jack is in constant quarantine (no other birds) so your BIL really should not have to worry about Jack's health.

There have been occasions where I've skipped quarantine, simply because of the age of the bird and the fact that there were no other birds around it!

Flapjack
08-22-2007, 08:36 PM
Thanks again, Linda :)
No, I would not be at all worried about Jack making Greg's birds sick.
And if his current situation stays the same (no new birds), I'm pretty sure none of his would make Jack sick either, especially since I'll be putting him in a totally separate room, and he takes such great care of his fids.
I will feel so much better if Jack's not so alone in our house.