PDA

View Full Version : Can he get sick?

Christian
08-20-2007, 02:02 PM
So I often give my baby kisses on the top of his lil feathered head...And today I woke up with a sore throat...kinda feels like when you've snored at night..
I think that its a combination of allergies and drainage (sorry that sounds gross) And I was wondering if I were actually sick, if I could pass it to my baby just from kissing his head?
~I know that human saliva is very bad for lovies and can make them sick...but I never kiss his beak, or share food, etc...so I was just wondering how easily germs and viruses are transmitted...

Janie
08-20-2007, 05:03 PM
I've had the flu one time (the real flu) since I've had birds and I did call my avian vet and ask about me being around the birds. They told me to limit my exposure to them as much as possible for 24 to 48 hours and that's what I did. They went on to say it would be highly unlikely that I'd pass anything on to them but just to be safe, limit the exposure. That is not to say that I didn't go into their room at all and since I was home alone at the time, I also fed them and changed their water but I made it quick and washed my hands till they were raw before I touched their food. It was a tough period, especially for Oliver, my velcro birdie. :(

Christian
08-20-2007, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the info...
I really think that its just allergies..but I took some echinacea and ciproflaxocin just in case...
and my baby is fast asleep in his happy hut, but I will make sure to try and limit the amount of time I spend with him until I feel better!

shylevon
08-20-2007, 10:00 PM
With a little head like that, I doubt you could go a full day without kissing it.

Wash hands before holding birdie, no sneezes around him, and a normal ration of kissies, and you should be over your sore throat soon with no ill effects to birdie. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Christian
08-20-2007, 10:33 PM
I know! I am addicted to kissing his lil head!
I am actually feeling somewhat better..and plus i am a public health student so I am OCD when it comes to washing hands and keeping everything clean! He prob has the cleanest cage ever...haha