PDA

View Full Version : Hepatitis in the Family

Kirby
08-20-2007, 02:10 PM
Another question for the "experts" :whistle: (this might end up being a Q for the vet)

Chris' dad was recently diagnosed with the deadliest of the Hepatitis viruses (I think hepatitis C) and it can be transmitted by blood, almost like HIV/AIDS.

My question is:

Since he handles the brats and likes to interact with them on a regular basis. If one of them were to bite him and draw blood, and possibly injesting the blood. Would that infect the bird with the Hepatitis?
And if that said 'infected bird' bit someone else and happened to draw blood, would something like that be transmittable to another human?

Once again, I don't know if anyone might be able to answer this, I might have to call the vets on my lunch :p

linda040899
08-20-2007, 02:20 PM
Please double check what I'm going to tell you with your avian vet.

It's my understanding that there are only 2 illnesses/diseases that we can get from our birds... 1. Psittacosis/Chlamydia and 2. TB (imniosupressed humans only). Going in reverse, the only disease that we can give to our birds is Psittacosis.

If the bird were to bite an individual that has Hepatitis and draw blood, I think the only way it could be passed to another human is if that same bird turned around and bit another individual almost immediately. In other words, there would have to be blood on the bird's beak in order to pass Hepatitis to the second person.

Good question. Please let us know what your avian vet has to say. You can probably get an answer with just a phone call.

Kirby
08-20-2007, 02:23 PM
Thank you Linda for the quick reply (this is the main reason I love this forum :p )

I will call them on my lunch and ask the vet if it can be!
it might be worth adding that to any lists we have on if it can be transmitted

BarbieH
08-21-2007, 08:46 AM
Best wishes for Chris's Dad. Hep. C is serious indeed. The treatment might include immune system modulators and his immune system might be compromised; please check with his docs about his own safety precautions regarding birds.

Bird droppings in the wild can grow certain types of bacteria that can lead to upper respiratory problems in susceptible people. Dander should also be kept to a minimum.

Best wishes (again),

dani
08-21-2007, 11:26 PM
It's always best to be careful about these things, for the bird's benefit as well as the humans!!
Best wishes and prayers to Chris' dad. Hope he is getting the necessary treatment and support that he needs!

Dani