PDA

View Full Version : My two new lovebirds......

Tireesix
08-25-2007, 08:47 AM
So they weren't hand reared and really are not tame at all. They are on their 2nd day here. They bite and seem really high strung lol.......

I was hoping someone could give me some tips for hand taming. I used to keep pigeons but love birds are a different kettle of fish lolol!!!!!!!!

So any tips would be really welcome!

Janie
08-25-2007, 10:30 AM
Hi and welcome! :)

With two wild lovies, you have your work cut out for you but read through the Behavior & Taming section of the forum and you'll find good advice and tips on taming. A wing clip is the first place to start and since you have two, I'd recommend working with each one, one at a time. :) Don't expect over-night success but you can tame them somewhat with lots of time and patience. :)

Tireesix
08-25-2007, 01:09 PM
I figured I would be in for the long haul lol.

I really didn't want to do the wing clipping thing, it makes me feel all peculiar but I think I will go for it and see how I feel next moult. I guess if its only temporary and it will help tame them then its worth it. I have a couple of kids obsessed with them so the quicker they tame the better (the birds not the kids....... Although I wonder whether is there is anything I can clip on the children to tame them?????????).

I clipped ducks wings and pigeon wings years ago and was taught by someone but it has been a long time. Should I just go get reacquainted with the vets or try and believe in my abilities????? I mean, I did used to do it so why should I be useless at it now. The birds just look so delicate though compared to my girt big thundering pigeons!!!!!!

Janie
08-26-2007, 08:18 AM
It was three years before I had the nerve to clip two of my three myself. My oldest lovie, about 11, is not clipped anymore cause.....he just doesn't need to be. The other two are very tame and sweet but young (2) and can get into a whole lot of trouble w/o a wing clip so I do clip them just enough that they can fly but not too high. I always had my vet do it until a year ago.

We have instructions here on how to do a wing clip. It's in the Resource Library under the "care" section. Check it out, it might be something you are comfortable doing yourself. Many members on this forum do their own clips. :)

linda040899
08-26-2007, 08:41 AM
If you are hesitant about clipping flight feathers, you might try what I call a mini wing clip. Instead of the usual 5-6 feathers, only clip 3-4. You want to limit flight, not eliminate it. Start with a few and see what happens.

The biggest reason we suggest trimming flight feathers here is for protection of our fids. Many a parrot has flown out an open door. Fully flighted, getting that bird back is no easy chore. My lovebirds and other large parrots all have various flight abilities. There are no direct exits from my house to the outside world, so I have a bit of freedom of choice. Those that need clipping are clipped. Like Janie, those that don't need it are fully flighted.

Feathers will grow back at the next molt so if you decide to clip, it will only be temporary.

Tireesix
08-27-2007, 09:39 AM
OK, I have clipped their wings. I have trimmed 6 feathers on each wing and now I can really see a difference. I feel rather sad because they now just seem to be resigned to the fact that they will have to deal with me handling them BUT should everything go to plan I shall avoid clipping as much as possible next time. I did try just 4/5 feathers but they seemed to be able to fly almost as well as they did previously which is why I took it to 6. They can fly a distance with not much height and they don't fall like a stone so I am thinking it is a job well done.

I have left them to chill for a while, will get them out once again today but shall really start getting them used to me tomorrow. I just want to take it slow sothey don't freak too much but at the same time not so slow that I don't get anywhere.

Janie
08-27-2007, 10:22 AM
I agree, it's a hard thing to see right after they loose that freedom of flight but I think you've done the right thing in order to have any hopes of taming them. It is amazing that sometimes in as soon as a couple of days they are already able to get some flight.

There is no doubt in my exp. that a lovie who is limited in flight will depend more on their human person. Good luck and keep us posted. :)

linda040899
08-27-2007, 10:57 AM
They can fly a distance with not much height and they don't fall like a stone so I am thinking it is a job well done.
Perfect, absolutely perfect!

They will get used to the wing clip and, hopefully, you won't have to do it again, or at least not have to clip so many.

Tireesix
08-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Already I have noticed that:

a) they are much easier to get in and out of the cage and easier to catch out the cage so much less trauma for all of us!!!!!

and

b)While they do very occasionally try to get in the odd blood drawing bite on the whole, the biting when the do it (which isn't as much as before) is more gently in fact, most of the time they seem to just try to have a warning nibble.

They aren't happier but I am and as you say, they shall get used to it and hopefully, we shall all get on much better.

I really did have reservations about doing it but its changed everything in a day and I now feel alot more positive about this. THANKYOU!!!!

dani
08-27-2007, 07:55 PM
Tireesix
my lovebird, Haku, is also pretty much wild. He was never previously handled by people except to take him out of the cage in the store and give him to me. I've had him since February and he is not too comfortable with hands. However, he's made a lot of progress in terms of trusting us in small ways. He comfortably takes food from our hands, and plays 'catch' with his toys with us. He will let me touch his beak but that's about it. I can tell you that yes, it is much harder to acclimatize a wild, untame lovie, but you won't love them any less. You will just have to work that much harder to earn their trust, but you will come to believe, just like I do, that it is really worth it everytime they make even the slightest progress
Good luck
Dani and the Birds