PDA

View Full Version : Wants Out!

Mydoona
08-26-2007, 02:45 AM
I have been letting my Keiko out of her cage everyday and she flys around for about 4 hours and plays on my shoulder, head and on her playgyms.I am finding now that she desn't want to be in her cage anymore.She will squark and run back and forth on the bottom of her cage schreeching to get out and play.What can I do to make her quieten down and stay in her cage?How long is long enough outside the cage? On weekends we usually are home all day so she is out for about 6 hours on those days.
thanks

Mummieeva
08-26-2007, 08:46 PM
My birds never quieted down til bed-time so I am not much help there. As for how much outside time it is up to you. Some birds here are out from time they awake to time they go to bed. That works for their owners. My birds were out twice a day for as long as I could let them. Normaly 2 hours in morning and 3 before bed. My birds did the same thing wanting to be out 24-7.

Steph

Pips mom
08-26-2007, 11:22 PM
My Pip wants to always be out too, and I try to let him out as much as possible, and he seems ok with it most times, but yeah, sometimes he runs around squaking too and I know when he wants out when he starts trying to lift up on the food dishes and knock them over! I thought for times when he needs to be in the cage, that getting him a bigger cage might help---so I got this cage from someone selling one and it ended up being too big, so now I have to sell it and try to get one a bit smaller, then hopefully he might be a little bit happier during the times he has to stay in the cage. His cage right now is kinda on the small side-----looks like a decent size for him, but you can't really put alot of toys in there, and he really likes toys!

Screamer
09-01-2007, 08:18 PM
If she is screaching and running back an forth and freaking out cover the cage for a short time so she can calm down a bit, its a good way to change the mood for her and you.

Another suggestion is squirting them gently with a water bottle sprayer, that works well.

michael
09-01-2007, 09:49 PM
I would have reservations about using a spray bottle. Because not all lovies like misting, It could affect how a lovebird feels about the security of its cage and possibly make matters worse. Not to mention the fear of being misted by a spray bottle. I know it works to quiet birds down as I've seen a breeder use the method. One other problem is some poeple act out in frustration, and I believe birds are able to pick up on this. Not a good time to use a spray bottle. On the other hand, if you need a brief moment of silence, covering them for a short time would be safer and their cage would be drier too. I know sometimes its hard to set up a good schedule to give your bird/s adequate time out to play, but its important to make time to maintain their health and well being. I let mine out every morning for at least 2-3 hours, clean up his cage and water/food bowls, then return him to take care of other things. Later in the evening I let him out for about 4-5 hours before bedtime. I'm always making sure his cage is clean, and sometimes he'll go back in to see what I've been doing. During that time I keep the door open so he knows he can come and go during his time out. If I need a little extra time for myself, I may cut a day back to three before bedtime. Taking him out before bedtime makes him more willing to go in his cage when he's a little tired. My Goofy is notorious for not wanting to return to his cage. By setting up certain rituals, and figuring out his needs when he's noisey, over time we've managed to make things a little more comfortable for him and our weary ears................Keep us posted and good luck!.........Michael and Goofy

Screamer
09-02-2007, 09:47 AM
I would have reservations about using a spray bottle. Because not all lovies like misting, It could affect how a lovebird feels about the security of its cage and possibly make matters worse. Not to mention the fear of being misted by a spray bottle. I know it works to quiet birds down as I've seen a breeder use the method. .......Michael and Goofy

I guess it all depends on who you talk to.

http://www.lovebirdsplus.com/community/showthread.php?p=49787#post49787

p.s. I am not trying to start a debate or anything.

Janie
09-02-2007, 10:13 AM

True and a whole lot of it depends on the particular bird. I would never in a million years do that to Oliver but I would not hesitate to do it to either Big Boi or Shy if need be. Oliver was never abused before I adopted him but he was painfully neglected so while he allows me to do many things he's not fond of (like giving him a bath when he really needs it) I am careful not to scold him in any way for any reason. The other two....well, I'd spank both of them occasionally if they were kids instead of fids! ;)

Kween
09-02-2007, 10:33 AM
I personally, when I'm home for long stretches of time, alternate being in the cage and out of the cage. Sushi will be out for like 30 mins and an hour, then I put her back in for as much time, then she comes out again, etc... it teaches her that going into the cage is not the end of the world, and that she will come back out soon. So most of the time she'll squeek and run around and try to come out, but she quiets after a while.

Today, actually, I changed her toys in the cage. She'd been squawking to come back out and play with us all day yesterday and most of today, and she wasn't paying attention to any of her things. so I added some more, changed out others, and moved around the ones that stayed, and now she's happy as can be in her cage. Later on today she'll be out again to play with Mommy and Daddy, and so she doesn't need to run around. I think the big thing was that she wasn't interested in her cage surroundings anymore...

So! Interesting toys, and alternating in and out of the cage has worked great for me. :)

Janie
09-02-2007, 10:47 AM

So! Interesting toys, and alternating in and out of the cage has worked great for me. :)

Yes, I agree. They will be much happier in their cages when they have things they enjoy to occupy their time. :) Finding that right thing isn't always easy but when you do, they are happy! :D

Reading through this thread has made me a little curious as to why Big Boi and Shy never squawk or complain about being locked up. They are out most of the day, hours at a time, but when I'm leaving they have to be locked up and they really do deal with that very well. Oliver doesn't get locked up except at night but when the other two are, he sits right on top of their cage the whole time! Not as though to taunt them but because he likes to be close to them.

michael
09-04-2007, 10:10 PM

When aggression reaches a point of constant displeasure, I would have to admit spraying or misting can be safe and very effective. When your trying to return a lovebird or any other species to its home, I fail to see the purpose of misting at that time. It is my opinion that it can have results not unlike hitting their cage when frustration levels reach their peak. Its unfortunate that human nature gives us the tendency to react sometimes only after it nears that point. As I pointed out, I had witnessed a breeder use spraying, not for the aggression as in the link you supplied indicated, but to only quiet them down. If I may add, when she had done this, it was obvious by the way her birds reacted that they found it rather displeasurable..............Michael and Goofy

Screamer
09-05-2007, 09:20 PM
When aggression reaches a point of constant displeasure, I would have to admit spraying or misting can be safe and very effective <AGREED! .. When your trying to return a lovebird or any other species to its home, I fail to see the purpose of misting at that time. It is my opinion that it can have results not unlike hitting their cage when frustration levels reach their peak. Its unfortunate that human nature gives us the tendency to react sometimes only after it nears that point< AGREED, did someone imply otherwise?? As I pointed out, I had witnessed a breeder use spraying, not for the aggression as in the link you supplied indicated, but to only quiet them down. If I may add, when she had done this, it was obvious by the way her birds reacted that they found it rather displeasurable..............Michael and Goofy

Chill Dude, lol

All I am pointing out is the effectiveness of gentle spraying.