PDA

View Full Version : Petrified of hands.

Jezzahbella
08-31-2007, 09:01 AM
My new lovie, Furby, is deathly afraid of hands, shes not really tame so shes still skiddish in general, but she FREAKS when I try to pick her up. I got her to perch on my finger for a few minutes after chasing her. As I said in a previous post I think her last owner's kid was very 'grabby'. I try to get her on a little perch when I need to bring her someone. I do however, have to catch her in her cage to get her on the perch. The previous owner cut her wings severly so he can't glide down when she jumps off though. :cry: Should I get used to the fact that she will never get used to my hands and move on to just getting her used to me or should I continue to try and work with her on it?

Kirby
08-31-2007, 11:35 AM
First off, I wouldn't try chasing her. It's scary to her, having something chasing her, so I would definitely back off.

How long have you had her for? I can't remember if you've posted this in a previous thread.

Secondly, I would give her some time to get used to her surroundings. Constantly trying to force her to step up and be with you will set her back from ever adjusting. She will just associate the grabbing and being scared, to you whenever you aproach her.

What I did with Kirby, is I just left his cage door open, and after just 3 days of having him, he was flying to my head and sitting on it as I was on my lap top.
From then I just left his door open and he began to explore on his own. Once he was out, I would slowly close his cage door and that was h ow I got him out of his cage to work with him without stressing him out.
He was a lot easier to work with when out, he wouldnt run around as much. Then we learned from each other that, if he wanted to interact and have fun, he would come out on his own or stay in his cage to be left alone :)

Give her some time to be "alone". But don't ignore her, try sitting next to her and talking. Offer her some millet from your hand to show her that fingers and hands offer something yummy.

Have patience with her !! THe most rewarding thing a lovie can do when you are trying with him/her, in my opinion, is when they show they are wanting to interact with you, especially after all that hard work.

Screamer
09-01-2007, 08:08 PM
First off, I wouldn't try chasing her. It's scary to her, having something chasing her, so I would definitely back off.

How long have you had her for? I can't remember if you've posted this in a previous thread.

Secondly, I would give her some time to get used to her surroundings. Constantly trying to force her to step up and be with you will set her back from ever adjusting. She will just associate the grabbing and being scared, to you whenever you aproach her.

What I did with Kirby, is I just left his cage door open, and after just 3 days of having him, he was flying to my head and sitting on it as I was on my lap top.
From then I just left his door open and he began to explore on his own. Once he was out, I would slowly close his cage door and that was h ow I got him out of his cage to work with him without stressing him out.
He was a lot easier to work with when out, he wouldnt run around as much. Then we learned from each other that, if he wanted to interact and have fun, he would come out on his own or stay in his cage to be left alone :)

Give her some time to be "alone". But don't ignore her, try sitting next to her and talking. Offer her some millet from your hand to show her that fingers and hands offer something yummy.

Have patience with her !! THe most rewarding thing a lovie can do when you are trying with him/her, in my opinion, is when they show they are wanting to interact with you, especially after all that hard work.

Well said.

Z28Taxman
09-03-2007, 05:42 PM
It could be worse. Ditto loves hands. In fact my hand is his favorite place to take a nap so I have to sit still for half an hour or so while he snoozes. You don't want to disturb his nap and make him cranky. :omg:

Apparantly he thinks hands make great plates too, right before the nap he has to have a few nutriberries/avicakes in the palm of my hand. Of course I get a crumb shower in the process.

Jezzahbella
09-04-2007, 01:26 PM
I have left her cage open many times and its weird. All she does is sit there. I rarely see her do anything.I put her on a table with my other lovie and give them lots of treats and toys and still she just sits there. Doing nothing. If I offer her a treat or something she freaks out.

Kirby
09-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Give her time. Kirby really showed NO INTEREST in me or anything I was doing until maybe a month or so into owning him. Some birds take longer than others, they all have their own time schedule, and they will come around in their own time.

esmay211
09-04-2007, 06:51 PM
I like birds. :)

michael
09-04-2007, 08:38 PM
I like birds. :)

I like birds too!

Jezzahbella, There's many different approaches you could try. In no way should you reserve yourself to thinking Furby will never come any further for attention. I believe all lovebirds possess a bit of serendipity when we least expect it. And who knows, maybe with you and your sons persistance she'll eventually expand her little circle of comfort. One good thing is when they show any interaction at all, thats a positive step in the right direction, and an opportunity for more positive reinforcement. Have you tried offering a bath for her when its her time out? Sometimes their more relaxed after a bath. And like Lauren mentioned, just let her come out on her own. Set some goodies outside her cage, or stick a treat in the cage bars. Even if she attacks it she may eventually figure out its food, and if you replace it your getting just a little bit closer. In a way, its kind of special that Furby's the one who got to make a choice of who she wants. At least its your son and not the next door neighbor :mad: ! But hey :) At least we can still give them what they want sometimes. Stubborn little boogers ! :D ...............Michael and Goofy lovebird

esmay211
09-04-2007, 11:38 PM
:)

jayme
09-05-2007, 11:34 AM
esmay i love your quote Gen 1:20-21. :):)

esmay211
09-06-2007, 03:52 PM
oh. thank you!:D i like it too!

beckyg
11-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Jezzahbella,

I am curious to know how Furby is doing. If I missed a post somewhere where you updated this, sorry :D. I like reading older posts and seeing what the results were.

sphinxface
11-21-2007, 12:41 PM
I guess acording to becky, this thread is pretty old. Well I've been feeding Beezle millet out of my hand and he seems to be getting slightly comfortable with me, though he still runs away if I try to pet him.

michael
11-21-2007, 07:09 PM
I guess acording to becky, this thread is pretty old. Well I've been feeding Beezle millet out of my hand and he seems to be getting slightly comfortable with me, though he still runs away if I try to pet him.

You know sphinxface. There's times I show Goofy certain foods, and THEN he runs away!..................Michael and Goofy