PDA

View Full Version : Bird Fair

Christian
09-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Thanks to Janie I learned of a bird fair in my area, and e-mailed the contact person last night to get more details...in doing so I asked about local avian vets, and they informed me that there would be an avian vet at the bird fair sexing and grooming birds...

well if you have read any of my past posts, I am really interested in sexing estrella sometime in the near future, and i was wondering if this is safe to take your lovie to a bird fair?

Is there a possibility that he could be introduced to some diseases from other birds? Would you guys take your lovies?

Thanks!

Mummieeva
09-03-2007, 11:27 AM
I myself would never take my bird to a fair for the reason of they could get scared with so many other birds around. Plus the risk of a disease. Bird fairs are a wonderful thing but I would worry to much taking a bird to one . Also make sure after the fair to wash and change clothes before touching your bird or his/her things. I hope you enjoy the fair.

Steph

Buy A Paper Doll
09-03-2007, 11:47 AM
Agree with Steph.

You will meet a lot of nice, reputable breeders at the bird fair. You may also run into a couple of breeders who are selling sick birds. There are airborne diseases which your bird could catch.

Keltoth
09-03-2007, 11:49 AM
I agree with Steph - the risk of disease is too great. Besides, I would be very skeptical about the claim of having a vet at the show for sexing; the only sure way a vet can determine the sex of a lovebird is either DNA sexing or surgical sexing - neither of which lend themselves to a bird-show environment. DNA sexing requires bloodwork in a lab. Surgical sexing is just what it sounds like; a surgical procedure to examine the genital area of a bird to determine if it is male or female, and I seriously doubt that they are gong to set up a place for a vet to do THAT in the middle of a bird-fair. Even if they did take the extraordinary steps to set up a sterile environment for a vet to do surgical sexing, I STILL wouldn't take my bird to a fair and subject him/her to all the stress of the many screaming birds - let alone expose him/her to whatever sicknesses might be floating around in the air.

I suspect the extent of their "vet testing" will consist of an external pelvic exam, where the person checks the gap between the pelvic bones and the shape of the pelvic bones by feeling them with a finger tip. Such diagnosis is very hit-or-miss, NOT conclusive by any means, and you can have it done in much safer places than a birdshow. I would very strongly advise you not to take your bird to the birdshow.

Christian
09-03-2007, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the replies....
I had serious doubts that it would be a safe environment, but as I have never attended a bird fair, I was not sure what I was in store for...

linda040899
09-03-2007, 12:20 PM
I agree that it's a very bad idea to take your lovie to a bird fair! In fact, when you go, make sure you take a shower and completely change clothes before going near Estrella when you get home. Disease can be brought home attached to clothing, shoes, skin and hair.

Janie
09-03-2007, 03:36 PM
Christian, there is no way I'd ever take my birds to a bird fair! Even taking myself could be dangerous to them when I get home so I strip down in the garage and head straight for the shower after I've been in that environment.

Every time I go to a bird fair I see people bringing in their pet birds and I have to wonder what they're thinking. I'm not shy and have even gone so far as to ask people why they would bring their own bird to a fair and expose them to many possibly air-borne illnesses. Do you know what most say? That they had no earthly idea that their bird could get sick from being around a sick bird! :omg: One woman with an adorable little Green Cheek Conure that she obviously was madly in love with was close to tears when I told her the chance she was taking, having her bird there. The breeder that she bought the bird from was there and even admitted to the woman that her bird could get sick. What I couldn't understand is why that breeder didn't tell her that the second she walked in to the fair with the bird she'd purchased from her the year before.

What I would suggest, if possible, is that you go (they are a wonderful place to find great buys on toys, etc.) and meet the vet. It could be she/he is in the JC area. If you can't go, you might want to e-mail the contact again and ask her for the name and location of the vet. One of the two avian vets I use is always at the Atlanta bird fairs, DNA sexing birds, but she even said that unless you are purchasing the bird right then and there, she would never bring a pet bird to a show/fair.

The case may be that you are not going to find a board certified avian vet in your area but a vet that sees a lot of birds and has avian experience would definitely be better than no vet at all if you find yourself in an emergency situation.

Kween
09-03-2007, 04:10 PM
I know this is a little off topic, but most of the information about bird fairs that I have seen around are for the USA... Where would one find info on Canadian bird fairs? I'd love to go to one and buy a ton of new toys for my sweetie. :D

Christian
09-03-2007, 10:28 PM
Well I definetly won't be taking estrella with me to the bird fair, I thought that it seemed kind of risky, but did not know the extent of it.
Thanks for all of the replies and advice!

chromasnake
09-03-2007, 11:33 PM
I know this is a little off topic, but most of the information about bird fairs that I have seen around are for the USA... Where would one find info on Canadian bird fairs? I'd love to go to one and buy a ton of new toys for my sweetie. :D

Google? I found the following with Google, looking for exotic cage bird canada

Here's a site for BC
http://www.bcexoticbirdsociety.org/birdmarts.html

oooh, and the BC site has a page of links to bird clubs all over Canada:
http://www.bcexoticbirdsociety.org/clublinks.html

If you are near Toronto, they are having a bird fair in October...
http://www.bfbsbirdclub.org/

Hope that helps a little!

Eliza
09-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Christian,

Have you thought about having Estrella sexed through AvianBiotech.com? They offer testing through bloodwork and through plucked feathers... There is also the option of having the bloodwork sent in via your avain veterinarian.

I've not ever been to a bird fair and hope to get to one in the Philadelphia, PA area this fall. Like others have stated, it's a good idea to leave your pets at home and enjoy the fair yourself! As an added precaution, you'll want to remove your shoes & clothes and shower before handling Estrella. If you have something along the lines of Crocs shoes, they are easy enough to wash after visiting a pet store or bird fair :)

Christian
09-04-2007, 09:14 PM
[QUOTE=ejw829;88322]Christian,

Have you thought about having Estrella sexed through AvianBiotech.com? They offer testing through bloodwork and through plucked feathers... There is also the option of having the bloodwork sent in via your avain veterinarian.
[QUOTE]

I have thought about it, but I don't want to do it myself! haha I am such a chicken! I would feel better if I had vet assistance.

michael
09-04-2007, 10:33 PM
You all know that even should you become very adept at handling your own lovebird, sometimes its just better to let the vet do all the dirty work. Plus receive all the credit too! :D .............Michael and Goofy

Janie
09-05-2007, 08:15 AM
[QUOTE=ejw829;88322]Christian,

[QUOTE]

I have thought about it, but I don't want to do it myself! haha I am such a chicken! I would feel better if I had vet assistance.

Me neither! I swore I'd never do wing clips and I finally did get over that fear and it really is easy but I don't think I could pull 5 to 7 feathers out of the chest of one of my lovies. :omg: Several members here have done it, it doesn't take long and the lovies get back to normal very soon afterwards but that is something that I would not do unless I had to. Since mine were done by their breeder before I got them....I don't have to! :clap

I think you'll find an avian vet (or at least a vet that sees lots of birds) if you go to the fair or if you contact the 2 ladies whose e-mail addresses I sent you and ask them what vet they use.

Eliza
09-05-2007, 07:56 PM
You all know that even should you become very adept at handling your own lovebird, sometimes its just better to let the vet do all the dirty work. Plus receive all the credit too! :D .............Michael and Goofy

Yeah -- Beetle always became an instant Momma's boy after a vet visit or a trip to the groomers ;)

I don't blame you for not wanting to clip a nail or pluck feathers for the testing yourself, Christian. I wouldn't be able to do it myself!

Buy A Paper Doll
09-05-2007, 08:51 PM

I'm with you! I had my vet do it. I wasn't even in the room. Expensive? Yep, but worth every penny to NOT be the one who made my sweet birdy bleed.