PDA

View Full Version : Thank you...

Eliza
09-05-2007, 08:04 PM
...and a bit of an update.

I wanted to thank you all for your kind words to me regarding Beetle's sudden decline and passing. I'm quite devastated by his loss but your thoughts and prayers have really helped me over the last week.

I always love my pets unconditionally, just like a parent loves his or her human children... But some of the creatures I have shared my life with have affected me in different ways. Beetle was just about the best parrot anyone could have asked for. He may never have uttered a single word (except for that one day I SWORE I heard him say "bird-bird", one of his nicknames) or performed any tricks but I loved him with all my heart. He was a definite bright spot in each and every day.

I did speak to Beetle's veterinarian yesterday in regards to his necropsy. I did opt for a visual exam as well as a full pathology as his illness seemed quite sudden. Long story short, Beetle had a rupture of his digestive tract which resulted in peritonitis and serositis. What caused the rupture is anyone's guess... it could have been something along the lines of a stem from a millet spring. I can only hope that Beetle wasn't in much pain before I realized that he was ailing.

Beetle was buried this past Saturday, wrapped in his favorite cozy, near the stone bird bath at my parents' house. It sits near a lake in the Pine Barrens and is visited by many birds native to southern NJ. My parents have a hummingbird feeder there that is quite popular so I feel that Beetle would have been happy there. My ferret Monster is near him as well.

I'm forever grateful that I stumbled across this community shortly before bringing Beetle home from his wonderful breeder in October of 2005. Linda, you've created a safe haven amidst the craziness of the world wide web and I am thankful for it. This is a wonderful forum to learn about all aspects of lovebirds and avian care in general. Everyone has been a tremendous help to me, be it questioning a particular behavior, researching a toy or asking for emotional assistance. I cannot thank you enough.

-e-

linda040899
09-05-2007, 08:37 PM
Eliza,
Thank you so very much for the update on Beetle. At least the visual check revealed something so you know what happened. With birds, things can change so quickly that I find myself constantly looking at everyone for behavior that is out of the ordinary. You did everything you could possibly done so it certainly was not for lack of action on your part.

Hugs,

Buy A Paper Doll
09-05-2007, 08:42 PM
:grouphug: (((Eliza))) :grouphug:

Thanks for letting us know what the results were for your sweet Beetle bird. It was such a shock that he got so sick, so quickly.

michael
09-05-2007, 08:57 PM
And thank you Eliza, for sharing Beetle.......Hugs and prayers from Michael and Goofy

saxypanda
09-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Once again I am sorry for your loss :( Many hugs to you and your family
:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Susan27
09-05-2007, 10:18 PM
Thank you Eliza for sharing Beetle with us. Like many have said, there are many lovebirds and owners here, and Beetle was one of the lovies I grew to know without actually meeting him. I hope too that Beetle suffered little, I do know he was loved and lived a full life in a short time.:grouphug:

Janie
09-06-2007, 08:04 AM
E, thank you for sharing the vet results with us. He was special...even to those of us who didn't meet him personally. I can't imagine another parrot that has/had a better fidma. Unconditional love is what you gave him and what he and all lovies deserve. ((((HUGS))))

LauraO
09-06-2007, 08:50 AM
Eliza: Thanks for the update on Beetle's results. We all miss him dearly though we never met him. It's also great to hear he has such a special resting place.

BarbieH
09-06-2007, 09:14 AM
Thanks Eliza. I hope you are feeling well after the loss. :grouphug1

butterfly1061
09-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Eliza,

Thank you for sharing Beetle's diagnosis with us. It's hard to believe he's gone. Please don't be a stranger on the board. It may take some time, but one day maybe you can be a fidma again. (((((HUGS)))))

dani
09-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Eliza
Thanks for letting us know the results, and also, thank you for sharing Beetle himself with us. We will all remember him as being a very special birdie and this has taught everyone how fragile and unpredictable life is.

Hugs
Dani

Kathryn
09-06-2007, 11:53 AM
Eliza,
Thank you for the kind words about this forum. You are an asset to the board as well. Good fidparents are what makes the site such a good resource for first-time owners as well as experienced.

Thank you for sharing the necropsy results on Beetle. We don't always understand the speed at which one of our babies can go over the Rainbow Bridge. We can only hold precious the fleeting moments we are allowed to enjoy them.

wilkiecoco
09-06-2007, 03:32 PM
Eliza - thanks for sharing the results with the rest of us. Perhaps it will help one of us in the future, and Beetle's death will not have been for naught. I am sending hugs and thoughts your way - i hope to still see you around the board. :grouphug:

bellarains
09-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Eliza,

While I know it does not take away the pain, I do know that knowing is better than not knowing. Thanks for letting us know the results, and again, I am so, so sorry for your loss. Beetle was a special little fid, and I know he's up flying high with Lacey, and we will both see them again one day.

graushill
09-11-2007, 03:18 AM
Eliza,

Thank you for letting us know what happened to Beetle. I hope that for you finding out what happened helped to bring a sense of closure and peace with what happened. You truly gave him unconditional love and I'm sure he knew it.

(((HUGS))))

Gloria