PDA

View Full Version : Bird Fair

Christian
09-08-2007, 07:32 PM
So today I went to my first ever bird fair..and I gotta say it was not at ALL what I expected!

It was in a relatively small building, and while the set up was decent and everyone was extremely nice, it just didn't seem right....
90% of the birds looked unhealthy, and were missing feathers...
One couple had some conures that did not have any tail feathers, or had extremely ratty tail feathers! :(

There were quite a few lovebirds, and while I got to see some different mutations, I felt like some of these people were not very knowledgeable! The guy at the entrance, who own's and breeds lovebirds, told me that if mine was a female, it would probably lay eggs around 6 months!! Which makes me wonder if he is trying to breed his that young!!!

Also, they did have DNA testing there, and one guy showed me where they had tested his conure....he said that they had given the bird anesthetia and he had a shaved patch under his wing with a puncture wound and what looked like stitches!!

Also, one breeder selling lovebirds claimed that they were all about 4-6 wks...with NO black on their beaks! And I know I am biased, but my baby was much more brightly colored, and a lot prettier! And cheaper priced! Our breeder charged us $45 for our baby which I think is a GREAT deal, and many of these birds were $60-$80, and that was for peachies!

Anyways, sorry to rattle on, but I was a bit disappointed..and well wanted to rant to someone!

michael
09-09-2007, 12:50 AM
I would be very disappointed too. It sounded like an overall bad experience, with questionable remarks by not just one, but others as well. I would think marketing was the only objective at this particular bird fair. Its amazing how far a little extra knowledge goes when dealing with unscrupulous individuals. What you've managed to spot among these poeple is what so many others have fallen for. I enjoy visiting the smaller local breeders who don't do shows. They seem to be more geared to the actual care and maintenance needed by their birds. They also are more particular about who gives them a home too. Just my preference if you will........Michael and Goofy

citygrlup
09-09-2007, 03:44 AM
I am shocked that thats what it was like. I havent been to one yet but I cant believe thats how they would check the sex. I would NEVER allow ANYONE to do a procedure like that on any living creature in an open environment, thats insane! Or maybe I misunderstood? But stitches? :confused:

Janie
09-09-2007, 08:23 AM
Welcome to reality! The majority of lovebird breeders that I've seen at bird fairs are horrid! I have met a few good ones, knowledgeable, but usually the better breeders are those selling high $ parrots. My guess is that Atlanta has much larger fairs (we have 58 vendors at the show coming up this weekend) but we certainly do have our fair share of breeders who bring in birds that I wouldn't dream of buying.

Now you know exactly why we told you not to take your lovie, right! :D Hopefully you found a few good buys there, other than birds!

BTW, I've watched my vet do the DNA sexing at the fairs. It is amazing to see.

Mummieeva
09-09-2007, 11:16 AM
I am sorry that the fair was not as good as you hoped. Sadly like others said a huge percentage of birds at the fair are not in best shape. They are a good pale to get cages and supplies. But not often birds. I got a bird at only one fair and the person who sold them were not very honest about the bird with me. I loved going to ones here in GA because i got to see all different types of birds.

Steph

donna1064
09-09-2007, 11:46 AM
that's one reason I stay away from bird fairs. You never know if the breeders are reputable, and you may end up inadvertantly bringing home an illness to your bird(s). Not worth the risk, or the time in my opinion. I prefer to visit breeders, and now that my daughter and son-in-law want a bird of their own (they have fallen in love with Baby) it will be fun to go "birdie shopping" again....

Keltoth
09-09-2007, 12:10 PM
The guy at the entrance, who own's and breeds lovebirds, told me that if mine was a female, it would probably lay eggs around 6 months!! Which makes me wonder if he is trying to breed his that young!!!

:x

In my experience, the ONLY time I have had a female lovebird lay eggs anywhere near six months old was once, when I had an extremely precocious hen solicit her male cagemate relentlessly and she subsequently laid eggs at seven months - and only after the male had fertilized them. I have NEVER seen or heard of a lone hen laying eggs at six months of age. MJ had a hen lay eggs at six months - but again, that was when the hen's male cagemate had coupled with her and fertilized her eggs.

Most of my hens, even when caged with a male, wait until a minimum of 10 months before they clutch - but that is the exception and not the rule. The vast majority of the time, the hens wait until 13 months of age or more before they drop their first eggs. Are hens physically able to lay eggs at six months? Absolutely; all the necessary equipment it present and can be jumpstarted with the right environmental influences (i.e. - a amorous male) - but to say that a single hen in a single lovie household will probably lay eggs at six months of age because lovie hens in general do so is just not credible. I think your impressions about that guy are spot-on; I would think that he actively encourages his hens to breed that young. Hens at six months of age just don't lay eggs that young unless they've been coupling with a male.

Also, they did have DNA testing there, and one guy showed me where they had tested his conure....he said that they had given the bird anesthetia and he had a shaved patch under his wing with a puncture wound and what looked like stitches!!

That just makes me ill - and a bit angry. >:

Also, one breeder selling lovebirds claimed that they were all about 4-6 wks...with NO black on their beaks! And I know I am biased, but my baby was much more brightly colored, and a lot prettier! And cheaper priced! Our breeder charged us $45 for our baby which I think is a GREAT deal, and many of these birds were $60-$80, and that was for peachies!

I hope you asked the breeder right to their lying face why the chicks did not have black on their beaks if they were four to six weeks old. Lutino or Creamino chicks don't get the black in their beaks, and Australian Cinnamons and American Cinnamons get very light brown in their beaks, rather than black, that could be easily overlooked. I suppose a very heavily Pied chick could theoretically have virtually no black showing in their beak - but the Pied scenario is stretching belief tot he breaking point. Unless all the chicks were Ino or Cinnamon, I suspect your suspicions were correct and the breeder was being somewhat less-than-honest in relating the age of his chicks.

Sorry your first fair turned out to be a disappointment. You can usually find some excellent deals on bird food, toys and cages at birdfairs, but you can also find breeders that give out alot of bad information, as well as those who will look you straight in the eye and lie to you without so much as a blink, in order to make a sale.

I'm very glad you did not take your bird with you. :)

- Eric

Janie
09-09-2007, 03:08 PM
I hope you asked the breeder right to their lying face why the chicks did not have black on their beaks if they were four to six weeks old.

- Eric

Eric, I had to laugh when I read that! I would and HAVE asked a breeder those kinds of questions but Christian is young and MUCH NICER than I am, I'm sure! :rotfl Jackie and I have stood there, correcting misinformation that we've heard some of the breeders tell some poor unsuspecting person, about their birds. We aren't shy! :whistle: I'm surprised we have not been banned from the bird fairs around here! :D Maybe our luck will run out this coming Sat. ;)

graushill
09-10-2007, 05:39 AM
Hi Christian,

That sounds like a dissapointing experience at the bird fair. I've only been at one and it was thankfully a very nice one. Then again, more than a fair it was an exhibition, so there were no birds for sale and basically people were just showing off their beauties :).

I do remember though one time I went to a pet shop that advertises itself as the best and biggest for bird needs in all of southern Sweden. They have a beautiful web site so I was really excited to go and see what they had. Well, the biggest it may have been, but I felt sick to my stomach when I saw the birds they had for sale. The little ones, like lovies and budgies and 'tiels were okay. They had okay cages, not huge ones by any means, and little if any toys but just adequate. But their big birds, it was horrible . They had this magnificent Macaw, who looked just sick, tail and wing feathers all ratty and when he tried to walk over to where I was, he kind of stumbled. I had tears in my eyes just looking at him. I looked for the store manager and voiced my concerns (I'm normally very shy so it wasn't easy) but he just stood there and said that the macaw was fine and that all their birds get medical assistance when needed. I just couldn't believe it. The saddest part about that was that I couldn't do anything about it. I did offer to take the macaw to the vet, but they refused and since I couldn't buy him I just had to leave him there. I feel guilty about him still.

After that day, I went through a period where I felt so guilty about having birds at all. So many suffer so much. Anyway, I didn't mean to burden anyone else with my guilts :). Here's hoping your next visits prove better.

Gloria

Flapjack
09-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Hi Christian,
I had the same experience here at a bird show put on by a local Exotic Bird Club. Sick birds, dirty cages, and lots of unsuspecting would-be bird owners buying their first feathered friend. It was really sad.
I'm going to one next month that's supposed to be much nicer- I hope I hope.