PDA

View Full Version : New to lovebirds

ratgirl83
09-18-2007, 04:59 PM
Hi, I'm Lindsay, I purchased a pair of lovebirds someone was selling for 20$ on craigslist. My mother has always loved the birds, and I thought wow that's a great deal. So here we are, new lovebird owners, and completely clueless.

Both are supposedly dna sexed females. There were about 4 eggs in the cage when I got them. Anyway, they both have started sleeping and spending SO much time in this yellow fluffy hide thing that came in their cage. Is this normal? Are they perhaps getting chilly now that the weather is getting cooler?

Second, I have noticed that they take turns holding beaks together, and just...vibrating their entire heads. It's weird, and I have NO idea what they're doing. I'd like a clue :)

Any other little lovebird tidbits you want to share would be lovely.

Thanks,
Lindsay

Sasha M
09-18-2007, 05:05 PM
Welcome :)

My lovebirds have a little snuggle hut they love to spend time in together sleeping or just relaxing plus they like to have a place to hide to feel safe so it is perfectly normal! When they are doing the beak thing they are most likely regurgitating and sharing food or just playing. Theres lots of great stuff on this website so just keep looking around and you'll learn alot, I know I have!

thebubbleking
09-18-2007, 05:06 PM
The beak head vibrateing thing happens with pairs that have bonded it's like birdie kisses:) Also them stating in a place they feel is secure or that they know is normal as they get used to you they will come out more and explore:)

ratgirl83
09-18-2007, 05:29 PM
Hm, I just discovered while changing their water that they laid eggs. There's three in there. How long should I let them keep the eggs? Also, how often do they lay eggs? Seems like such a short time span between the last, and these new ones.

Janie
09-18-2007, 05:29 PM
Hi Lindsay and welcome! :)

Please read the Lovebird Resource Library for great information for first time owners and even long-time owners. :D The yellow thing in their cage sounds like a happy hut which for a hen means....a place to nest. I have no idea why they are locking beaks. If they are a bonded pair and really do get along (kind of unusual for two hens) then I would guess it is something they do that shows their bond. Otherwise, I would take it for beak fighting.

ratgirl83
09-18-2007, 05:34 PM
"I have no idea why they are locking beaks. If they are a bonded pair and really do get along (kind of unusual for two hens) then I would guess it is something they do that shows their bond. Otherwise, I would take it for beak fighting."

They do appear very bonded. They're sisters according to the previous owner.

I have a question, if I were ever to come across a male would they accept him into their little home or would they fight?

Janie
09-18-2007, 05:41 PM
Adding a single male would almost certainly NOT work out. One of the three could end up injured or dead. A threesome of any sex doesn't usually work out. I do happen to have three, all males who have been DNA tested, and they do get along very well but are not caged together at night. The younger two (2 last May) are brothers and share a large cage at night and when I'm out during the day. My older lovie is around 11 and his has his own smaller cage at night.

I think adding a male to your duo would be a disaster. Also keep in mind that with two hens, you'll get eggs but no babies. Add a male and you could end up with 15 babies (or more) a year and I don't know about you but I could never find good loving homes for that many little lovies. Tis' why I only have males! :D

Screamer
09-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Welcome to the board. Congrats on your lovebirds.

michael
09-18-2007, 11:03 PM
I would heed the advice about not adding another bird. One thing you may think about is if there's lets say 6-8 eggs or more, chances are you might have two hens. If none of these eggs hatch after about 23 days then it pretty well confirms that you definitely have two hens. Not sure about the vibrating heads. Do you think they may be regurgitating? Are they sort of jerking their heads up and down like a chicken kind of? .................Michael and Goofy

ratgirl83
09-19-2007, 08:43 AM
I shall heed said advice, wouldn't want to hurt the little critters in any way.
Anyway, the head thing..I originally thought that it looked like regurgitating, but why would they do something like that? They did it after each took a drink of water I believe. Thanks for all the advice. It's helpful.

Janie
09-19-2007, 08:55 AM
Anyway, the head thing..I originally thought that it looked like regurgitating, but why would they do something like that?

My younger two do that all the time. They try to feed my older bird and when he won't "accept" what they are regurgitating, they feed it to their birdie buddy (a fuzzy thing on the inside of their cage). We call it "gacking".....:D

ratgirl83
09-28-2007, 11:12 PM
The lovebirds have laid 8 eggs and are currently molting.
Also one of them has been constantly sitting on the eggs.
Any idea why this is? Perhaps could one of them be a male and can the eggs be fertilized?

Thanks

Janie
09-29-2007, 08:19 AM
Eight eggs from one female is not unheard of but is unlikely. My guess is that both are laying (don't know why only one is sitting) but I'll wait to hear what our breeder members have to say about that.