PDA

View Full Version : birds favorite food (not seeds)???

iLuVmyBirds
09-19-2007, 09:42 PM
i was just wondering, what are your lovebirds favorite non-bird foods?
My babies love corn, lettuce, rice, cheese, and especially, plant soil.
here a picture of them enjoying the pot!!:
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photos/photo26/56/03/f4912f24dca3.jpg?_rh=ka4vvr8j79qv5rbcxat6ahta

Janie
09-20-2007, 07:52 AM
If I could only list 3 favorites, they would be birdie cornbread, kale and raw broccoli! :D

Gene
09-20-2007, 08:48 AM
That's adorable!! :lol
Bekkie loves cheese but I limit him very much on that - one small piece not more than once a week!
For the rest, well, I guess he likes apple, pear, banana (please note: the peel!!! :x ) and some Vitasnacks (bakes wholewheat crisps) which also gets severely limited! And he absolutely ADORES the birdie-bread I baked for him!
And right now... my hair! :whistle:
I'm still trying to introduce him to other birdie-friendly foods.

Z28Taxman
09-20-2007, 05:39 PM
Sugar snap peas. You don't wanna be around Ditto if there are no sugar snap peas when I get home from work. :omg:

wilkiecoco
09-20-2007, 09:32 PM
Kiwi's favourites right now are watermelon, broccoli, apples, cucumber, and sugar peas! Oh yeah, and corn!!!

he also loves chicken and scrambled eggs, which i give him a once a week, in small amounts!!

He really will try most things ONCE, (with a lot of "oh that is so yummy" noises from me) and then forms a definite opinion. For example, after sampling mango a few days ago, he now knows that they are evil, evil, evil!!!!!!!!! :evil: he actually makes a growly noise at them when he sees them on the kitchen counter!!!!!! :rofl:

saxypanda
09-20-2007, 09:34 PM
My babies favs are popcorn, toast, anything that goes into my mouth for sure has to be tasted..which by the way if its healthy I swear they know and dont want any but the second its something they shouldnt have I have to fight them for it.. lol

dani
09-20-2007, 09:52 PM
My mother has ruined all my birds by getting them addicted to special 'birdie pancakes' :lol... but aside from that, Haku is absolutely crazy about string beans, he'll eat them and fight them and drag them around, soak them in water, make soup, hang them over his perch, eat them again.... i'm happy once he's eating them:)

michael
09-20-2007, 10:41 PM
Brown rice and cornbread for Goofy. He has a food flinging good time eating them too. Vegetables on the other hand, he likes dried or in tiny pieces and you don't dare let him see the whole vegetable before you chop it up either, otherwise he knows what you are up to. A couple veggies he started on being introduced to baby food first. I think the smell helped get him to try the more solid version. Even if most did have to be cooked, slowly I reduced the cooking times until they were almost raw............Michael N' Goofy

Janie
09-21-2007, 08:23 AM
Michael, I'm glad you mentioned brown rice....something I have not offered my lovies in ages and know they'd like to try again! :) Do you freeze it (ice cube tray style) after you make a batch or just make enough for a few days?

michael
09-21-2007, 06:51 PM
Can't say i've ever frozen it ice cube tray style. But! I have flattened it out in a large ziplock bag and broke off what was needed. Usually during the summer when its too hot to steam anything. Rest of the time its made at least twice a week. He's consumed more veggies with brown rice than any other food medium, even cornbread :) ..........Michael and his finicky lovebird Goofy

Janie
09-21-2007, 06:55 PM
Thanks, Michael. Just wanted to know if you freeze it, "any" style. :D I usually freeze cooked food in ice trays and add a drop of water on top and then pop out the cubes after they freeze and put them in zip-locks.

Tomorrow.....brown rice! My flock will thank you for mentioning it as a reminder to me! :D

michael
09-22-2007, 08:42 PM
A little late, but, I forgot to mention I also add water too. Its easier to reheat and isn't so dry when we freeze it. Seeing how you mentioned ice cube trays, think I'll see if I can find those mini ice cube trays and give that a wing too. Thank you too Janie :) !...................Goofy and Michael

linda040899
09-22-2007, 09:07 PM
With my guys, the favorite food is anything the they can eat without being eaten, bitten back by what they are eating or whatever they don't have to chase! Most of them will literally eat anything I put in their dishes. :)

Z28Taxman
09-22-2007, 09:13 PM
With my guys, the favorite food is anything the they can eat without being eaten, bitten back by what they are eating or whatever they don't have to chase! Most of them will literally eat anything I put in their dishes. :)

With Ditto, it's eat anything that's in my hand. Case in point, tonight he was totally ignoring the carrots and brocoli leaves in his bowl. When I took them to the couch with us and had a brocoli leaf in my hand it suddenly became the best tasting snack ever! And I've got bits in my hair to prove it. :rofl:

Buy A Paper Doll
09-22-2007, 09:13 PM
Milo's favorites are: Sugar snap peas, broccoli, and an occasional bit of Crispix cereal.

Melody's favorites are: Whole baby carrots, sweet potatoes, human flesh, and popcorn.

Z28Taxman
09-22-2007, 09:16 PM
Milo's favorites are: Sugar snap peas, broccoli, and an occasional bit of Crispix cereal.

Melody's favorites are: Whole baby carrots, sweet potatoes, human flesh, and popcorn.

Ditto says baby carrots are evil and must be flung across the cage with much shouting. Carrots have to be shredded and the pieces no longer than 2 inches or they get tossed too. :rofl:

Buy A Paper Doll
09-22-2007, 09:21 PM
Melody says whole baby carrots shoved between the cage bars at random intervals, resemble fingers. She practices her attack moves on the carrots so that she can stay nimble in case a real finger does happen to find its way in between her cage bars.

Oh, and they taste good too. (Carrots. Or fingers. Either one.)

Z28Taxman
09-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Melody says whole baby carrots shoved between the cage bars at random intervals, resemble fingers. She practices her attack moves on the carrots so that she can stay nimble in case a real finger does happen to find its way in between her cage bars.

Oh, and they taste good too. (Carrots. Or fingers. Either one.)

Ahh, see there's the difference. Ditto prefers to rub his head on fingers stuck through the bars and carrots just aren't the same. :rotfl

thebubbleking
09-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Baby boos 3 favorites are moths, guavas, and raw cranberrys.
Sunshines favorites are papaya seeds, coliflower, and dried blueberrys.
Both like my beta fishes water to drink and bath in the fish doesnt seem to mind but sheesh i keep thier water fresh! Atleast sunshine doesnt make soup with the fish bowl lol And yes they only do it on the sly i dont like um doing that makes me paranoid lol

michael
09-23-2007, 06:55 PM
Well, carrots generally bring out the worst in Goofs methods for choosing which foods he hates the most. Any carrot larger than a pencil eraser is subject to attacks. Shredded, he thinks you've already destroyed it for him so he walks away while sounding a kiss of approval. Now those sugar snap peas seem to be popping up quite a bit.......last time at least he taste tested by using them for a tongue blotter. I think its time to wing out a couple raw ones, couple blanched, and cook some up. Maybe lace them with a bit of millet sprinkled on top so they appear a little more inviting. Might even go so far as to act like he shouldn't have them. :whistle: ...............Michael and Goofy

Z28Taxman
09-23-2007, 07:08 PM
Well, carrots generally bring out the worst in Goofs methods for choosing which foods he hates the most. Any carrot larger than a pencil eraser is subject to attacks. Shredded, he thinks you've already destroyed it for him so he walks away while sounding a kiss of approval. Now those sugar snap peas seem to be popping up quite a bit.......last time at least he taste tested by using them for a tongue blotter. I think its time to wing out a couple raw ones, couple blanched, and cook some up. Maybe lace them with a bit of millet sprinkled on top so they appear a little more inviting. Might even go so far as to act like he shouldn't have them. :whistle: ...............Michael and Goofy

Ditto will only eat carrots shredded, even baby carrots cut into small pieces are a no go. He prefers to run them through his beak like paper through a typewriter until he's chewed all the juice out of them, then he eats the rest.

But he's a bit strange anyway. When I give him birdy bread he'll dig the veggies out and eat them first. :clap

ittyandrita
09-23-2007, 09:23 PM
ok, my guys favorites-
sugar snap peas (at the top of the list!)
pomegranates
apples
kale
corn
walnuts
carrots
wheat grass
aloe

butterfly1061
09-24-2007, 12:45 PM
Their favorite? Anything I'm eating, kale, carrots, peas & corn and popcorn.