PDA

View Full Version : Question! Is this normal or is Sunset plucking his feathers?

Miyaki
09-23-2007, 02:42 PM
Sunset has been preening alot and the yesterday I found a whole tail feather on the ground. I just cleaned his cage yesterday so about 10 mins ago I opened it and took out all the feather I found on the ground. Can you tell me if this amount is normal, or is he maybe plucking? The time span for this is about 24hrs since I cleaned out his cage. So all these feathers are from the past 24hrs.

Here's the pic:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/Miyakii/DSC00310.jpg

I want to make sure he's okay... D:

Flapjack
09-23-2007, 02:53 PM
How old is Sunset? He may just be moulting. I love the rare occasions when I find a tail feather. They're the most beautiful.
I've got to tell you- right now it looks like a down pillow blew up in Jack's cage! I deep clean it once a week, but change the paper under the grate every day. Those little billowy downy feathers get everywhere! I know Jack isn't plucking.
I'd worry if you see him really tearing at himself, or see bald spots, or he seems depressed, or not feeling well. Otherwise, he may just be a normal little pillow factory!

Miyaki
09-23-2007, 02:56 PM
How old is Sunset? He may just be moulting. I love the rare occasions when I find a tail feather. They're the most beautiful.
I've got to tell you- right now it looks like a down pillow blew up in Jack's cage! I deep clean it once a week, but change the paper under the grate every day. Those little billowy downy feathers get everywhere! I know Jack isn't plucking.
I'd worry if you see him really tearing at himself, or see bald spots, or he seems depressed, or not feeling well. Otherwise, he may just be a normal little pillow factory!

He is a little over two years old. And I haven't seen him plucking, just preening and then the feathers just falling out when he jumps around or flies. I didn't even see how the tail feather fell. He seems fine, he's pretty quiet today, just sitting with one foot up or preening.

I just wanted to make sure :D

linda040899
09-23-2007, 03:04 PM
Even though birds go through molts twice/yr, feathers are still randomly dropped in between. Not all feathers molt out at once and there are always stragglers in between.

Sounds normal to me! :D

Miyaki
09-23-2007, 03:16 PM
Even though birds go through molts twice/yr, feathers are still randomly dropped in between. Not all feathers molt out at once and there are always stragglers in between.

Sounds normal to me! :D

Thanks for the great responses, I'm still new to owning a bird and I'd rather be safe then sorry! :blush:

Janie
09-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Looks very normal to me, too! :)

Mummieeva
09-23-2007, 04:09 PM
Since getting Dracula I have learned that birds like people do things differently. My other lovebirds before would always have tons of feathers at bottom of cage year round. But Dracula has had none down there yet.

Steph