PDA

View Full Version : Night fright?

Melissa2006
10-05-2007, 05:59 PM
We have Georgie, our lovebird, and 2 parakeets and 1 english budgie. Georgie is in a separate room at the other end of the house from the other 3 birds.

But sometimes Georgie sqwawks out 1-3 times in the middle of the night, as if something is scaring her. I go in there and talk to her and she calms down. The window near her cage is closed so she can't see outside or anything.

What can cause this? Bad dreams? any dreams?

Then last night I heard flapping in the other birds' room and went in there and they were all flying around in terror in their cages? I turned on the light and reassured them, but what could have caused that?

As far as those birds, Snowflake and Tiger the parakeets are best buddies and are in their 18x30x36 cage together, and our english budgie Angel has her own cage that side, near them.

Could it have been a cat fight or animal outside that could have scared them like that?

I heard something awhile back about not covering the cages because it could cause night terrors, so none of our cages are covered, but should we perhaps put a low light in there, like a little dim LED night light or something, so they don't have to be scared in the dark?

Elle
10-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Hello Melissa,

It's hard to tell what could be causing this behavior, but I would think night fright as well. Whenever I have a new bird joining my flock or I change the cages location, I leave a small night light on. I never cover my cages and I usually leave that to the discretion of the owners.

It doesn't hurt adding a light for a few nights see how it goes.

butterfly1061
10-05-2007, 06:53 PM
Yep, I have a night-light in my birdroom too. Always have. It might be worth a shot. Birds don't see well in the dark, so the light will help them see their water & seed dishes. :2cents:

Mummieeva
10-05-2007, 06:55 PM
I would try a night light in the room and maybe if possible move bird from window. It is possible a light from a passing car or someones house could of spooked them.

Steph

Kirby
10-05-2007, 06:55 PM
My boyfriend Chris and I's computer keyboards are luminated so during the night there is always a bit of a glow somewhat acting like a night-light

michael
10-05-2007, 07:01 PM
Hi Melissa. Maybe as a slight comparison to your lovebird. I keep a single lovie for now, and anytime he hears what resembles the sound of wings flapping or rubbing during sleep hours he'll peep a couple times. Most other sounds don't seem to affect him. This is one reason I no longer do paperwork near him in the middle of the night, and when I do I have to remain quite far away from him as he's got very big ears. I'm wondering if its the parakeets and budgie that might be what awakens Georgie? Well, I hope the light works or you manage to find out the cause.......Good luck........Michael and Goofy

Melissa2006
10-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Hi Melissa. Maybe as a slight comparison to your lovebird. I keep a single lovie for now, and anytime he hears what resembles the sound of wings flapping or rubbing during sleep hours he'll peep a couple times. Most other sounds don't seem to affect him. This is one reason I no longer do paperwork near him in the middle of the night, and when I do I have to remain quite far away from him as he's got very big ears. I'm wondering if its the parakeets and budgie that might be what awakens Georgie? Well, I hope the light works or you manage to find out the cause.......Good luck........Michael and Goofy

Interesting point, thanks Michael. :)

michael
10-05-2007, 07:31 PM
By the way we loved Georges web page! smile smile smile!.....Thanks for sharing..............Michael and Goofy

Melissa2006
10-05-2007, 08:02 PM
By the way we loved Georges web page! smile smile smile!.....Thanks for sharing..............Michael and Goofy

You're welcome! :rofl:

We still know the lady who hand raised Georgie and she's got a newly hatched baby blue that she's getting ready for us now too.

So cool!

:happy:

Melissa2006
10-08-2007, 09:44 PM
I picked up a couple of LED night lights at Home Depot, for around $7.50 for both, and they seem nicely made. I haven't heard any flapping around from any of the birds, or Georgie squawking at night, since putting them in their rooms, so I hope that does the trick. Thanks for the help and advice, fellow flock members.

:)

michael
10-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Hope the LED's continue to work for them :) . Right now the only other thing comes to mind is Ghost busters! :ghost:..............Michael and Goofy