PDA

View Full Version : Injured wing????

Lil-princess
10-05-2007, 11:11 PM
I'm not really sure if this is the right place for this thread but.....My lovebird seems like his wing may be hurting him. He will keep grooming it and looking at it funny. I don't think it's broken because nothing could have happened to it. The only thing that might have injured it was that I was checking if he had any blood feathers (which he doesn't) and I stretched out his wing, only for 20-30 seconds. Is that bad to do to a bird:confused: ? Could he have possibly really hurt it or it just stretched to far and he will be fine soon???

linda040899
10-05-2007, 11:45 PM
Sounds like the wing may be truly bothering him and I would suggest that you have your avian vet check it out. Could be anything from a feather out of place to a hairline crack in a bone.

Lil-princess
10-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Should I maybe wait a few days and not let him fly around then see if it gets better? I'll let you know how he's doing today in a bit.

linda040899
10-06-2007, 12:55 PM
No, don't wait. Injured wings need quick treatment or a bird can ultimately lose the ability to fly!

Lil-princess
10-06-2007, 03:15 PM
O.k well I've figured out whats wrong with him! There is this one large feather out of place on his wing. But I don't know what to do, I don't want to cut it because it may be a blood feather the person at the pet store told me to try to put it in place but it seems to hurt him when I do! Does anyone have any idea's????

linda040899
10-06-2007, 03:34 PM
If there's a feather out of place, that's your answer. Feathers are sensitive so I would probably not do anything with it. If you see him picking at the area to the point of possible injury to that area, you might consider just removing the feather, although that's painful, as well.

For right now, I would just watch him.

Kirby
10-06-2007, 03:34 PM
I would leave it.

If it is a feather that is bugging him let him deal with it. He might stand on the top of his cage and flap until it is either back in place or falls out.

I wouldn't risk pulling it out as it might be a blood feather

Lil-princess
10-06-2007, 04:26 PM
Thank you for your quick replies:). I will just leave his wing alone and see what happens, he is really moody right now, I tried giving him cornmeal but he bite my hand, he loves riding on my shoulder so I put him up there and he bite my neck for a minute:cry: Oh well I will just leave his cage open and let him come out if he wants to. Hopefully he will get the feather out or put it back in place soon.

Lil-princess
10-06-2007, 06:05 PM
I'm happy to say that Kiwi put his feather back in place himself:) . He is back to himself and he won't stop flying now that he can and it won't hurt him.He managed to do it himself without any of my help:whistle:.

butterfly1061
10-06-2007, 08:25 PM
:clap

Z28Taxman
10-07-2007, 06:25 PM
When Ditto has a wing feather that's about to moult and won't stay in place he'll hang on to a perch and flap and squawk like a madbirdy until it falls out. If he's out of his cage he'll fly in tight circles until it's gone. :rotfl

Once he did it while hanging on to his ladder, until he actually lifted the ladder and scared himself half to death. :rotfl

LauraO
10-08-2007, 08:09 AM
Thank you for your quick replies:). I will just leave his wing alone and see what happens, he is really moody right now, I tried giving him cornmeal but he bite my hand, he loves riding on my shoulder so I put him up there and he bite my neck for a minute:cry: Oh well I will just leave his cage open and let him come out if he wants to. Hopefully he will get the feather out or put it back in place soon.

When my birds are in pain they will bite me if I'm near. I think it's a natural reaction cause I've seen them do it to their mates as well........I'm glad the wing wing is all better :D .