PDA

View Full Version : Getting Dutch Blue- need advice

Blossomfrost
10-06-2007, 08:05 AM
Im getting a Dutch Blue. OK, I admit it, Im trying to convince my parents to let me get one. But anyway, I have a few questions.

1.) How big of a cage would I need for one bird? Im thinking
1.5 by 1.5 by 1.5, but Im not that sure.:confused:

2.) I dont know a name yet. Im thinking Rhapsody or Echo, but I need help. Ill remind you, its a Dutch Blue.:confused:

3.) Diet. What should I feed a Dutch Blue?:confused:

4.) What should I say to my parents to convince them?!?!? I wrote a persuasive letter with some good reasons, but I think that I need lots of reasons to convince them.:blush:

5.) My dad is allergic to fur. This is going to seem stupid, but will a lovebird affect him?!?:confused:

6.) How much would a lovebird like a Dutch Blue cost?!? I have to buy one from a pet store because there are no aviaries where I live. I know aviaries are better, but I don't have a choice.:cry:

7.) And finally- my brother has to get either a snake or a lizard or a frog for a boy scout badge. He might end up keeping it - you never know. Would one of these animals bother a lovebird?!?!?:confused:

If you could answer some of these questions, It would be a big help. THANKS!:blush::happy: :blush: :rofl: :blush:

Kathryn
10-06-2007, 09:25 AM
I'm pleased to see you are doing research before purchasing your bird.
That's always a wise thing to do. You've come to a great site with lots of helpful bird parents. We have a great Resource library here too.

1) Cage: Even a single bird needs room for fully extending and flapping its wings unobstructed and for all the toys and feed cups. 18" x 24' x 24" would be better.

2) Name: Rhapsody or Echo would be lovely. You will decide finally on a name after interacting with your bird.

3) Diet: There is a wealth of information in the Diet section here on the site.
Fresh veggies and some fruits along with a good seed mix that has some variety. Lovebirds are hookbill birds so a Cockatiel mix provides the variety.
Birdy bread can be made and portions frozen for use later.

4) As for convincing your parents...well...that's a personal issue between those in your family.

5) Allergies can be affected by bird dandruff. My neice ended up giving me her lovie due to allergy. But she was not allergic to fur. Has your dad had the battery of allergy tests run? That would be an indicator.

6) Cost: A price for a lovebird in a shop can run anywhere from $45 - 75. But what also needs to be figured in is the vet bill for check-ups which can range from $120 to $200 for the initial vet visit. Your cage can run anywhere from $50 on up. Food can run $& to $10 for a 4-5 pound bag of food. Toys are necessary and range in price from $1.50 to $15 and on up.

7) Snake, lizard or frog: Shouldn't affect your bird unless of course they are
allowed to interact with each other. Heaven forbid the snake should get in the cage with your bird!! Dog saliva is deathly to a bird and cats are natural predators.

Hope your find this information helpful.

Pips mom
10-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Wow, I guess prices really depend alot on where you are. A lovebird from a pet store around here costs over 100, but yet the vet bill is cheaper. I took both my tiels for a checkup and it only cost me 60-70 dollars, but they charged half price for the second bird. Cages here cost alot more too, and 50 dollars won't buy you much around here! This is why I have bought cages on ebay and also look on craigslist----I found a really great, huge flight cage for my tiels for only 50 dollars! ALSO----I actually found Pip on craigslist! his owner was giving him for free with cage! Of course he was paticular who he gave him to and I was an experienced bird home, but for cages and supplies, keep an eye on craigslist, and remember----if you buy a second hand cage or toys or anything like that, they need to be cleaned and disinfected thoroughly

Mummieeva
10-06-2007, 11:08 AM
I would add that adopting a lovebird is a very good way to go www.petfinder.com has a nice site of local rescues,shelters,and even private owners in the classified section. They cover all of the US and Canada also.

Steph

Islandbirdies
10-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Really???? A lovebird from a petstore here cost's between $150-$200. I get mine from the breeder for half that, except for Blue he was extra because of his mutation and would be $275 or more if I bought him at a petstore!
More reasons to but from the breeder if you can, besides price is to see the parents, check the health and treatment of the breeding pairs, have a relationship with the breeder as a valuable resorce, and not give your money to a big pet "supermarket" who treat animals like a comodity. Just my humble opinion.

Blossomfrost
10-07-2007, 08:20 AM
Thanks everyone, that helped a lot!!

Eliza
10-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Im getting a Dutch Blue.
The Dutch Blue mutation peach faced lovebird is certainly a beautiful one :)

1.) How big of a cage would I need for one bird?
24" H x 24" D x 24" W (give or take) is a good size for a single lovebird.

2.) I dont know a name yet. Im thinking Rhapsody or Echo, but I need help. Ill remind you, its a Dutch Blue.
Naming a pet is something I find to be highly personal. A lot depends on the pet's personality and behaviors... I was convinced that I was going to name my lovie Sprout (a name I came up with when I had thought about getting a parrotlet, actually) but the name Beetle popped in my head instead ;)

3.) Diet. What should I feed a Dutch Blue?
Lovebirds need a varied diet, just like humans do :) In most cases, a quality pellet (Harrison's are my personal favorite; Roudybush is another good brand IMO), a quality seed mix (in moderation) and fresh foods (veggies, some fruits, whole grains and legumes) make for a healthy, varied diet.

4.) What should I say to my parents to convince them?!
One think to think about is the long term care of this lovebird. I'm assuming that you are under 18 as you have indicated that your parents are involved. Do take some time to think about the future. If you are thinking about going to college/trade school after you graduate HS you may not be able to take a pet with you. Make sure that your parents are willing to accept the responsibility of caring for a pet if you are to go away to college, etc.

Another thing: HAVE YOUR PARENTS VISIT LOVEBIRDSPLUS :) Let them read about the care and keeping of these little bundles of joy. They can ask questions, too.

5.) My dad is allergic to fur. This is going to seem stupid, but will a lovebird affect him?!?
Hard to say... has your father had any allergy testing that indicates that he might have an issue with birds? One of the benefits to small parrots like lovebirds is that they generally are not "allergenic", if you will.

6.) How much would a lovebird like a Dutch Blue cost?!? I have to buy one from a pet store because there are no aviaries where I live. I know aviaries are better, but I don't have a choice.
In my area, peach-faced lovebirds at pet stores cost about $100. At PetsMart (when they carried lovebirds >:) $100 would get you a lovie that hadn't been hand-raised/socialized. At one of two local parrot stores, $100 would buy you a hand-raised one. Mutations (ex. lutino or Dutch blue) wouldn't cost any more. Breeders in my area seem to be charging about $100 for all the peach-faced mutations, with opalines going for about $200.00

Also factor in veterinary care. An introductory well-bird visit with the certified avian vet (Dipl. ABVP) that I use is $300. That includes a long examination & discussion (I met w/ the Dr. D for nearly an hour) and complete blood work + gram stain. A visit with an avian vet who is not a Dipl. ABVP but associated with the AAV (www.aav.org) will usually run less; a vet that a co-worker uses for a 'tiel charges b/t $200-$250 for an introductory exam + bloodwork.

Is essential to provide ANY pet with the best possible veterinary care. This is something that you need to discuss with your parents in the event that you do not have an independent source of income. My Beetle's sudden illness and resulting death was an unexpected expense, yes, but one that I had budgeted for.

Have you really looked hard for a breeder in your state? There are certainly lovebird breeders in NC... Try a Google searching (ex: lovebirds+sale+North Carolina) In addition, you might want to try www.africanlovebirdsociety.com, www.birdmart.com, www.birdbreeders.com, www.craigslist.com and www.hoobly.com. Birdbreeders, craigslist and Hoobly can be searched by state, which is a nice option.

7.) And finally- my brother has to get either a snake or a lizard or a frog for a boy scout badge. He might end up keeping it - you never know. Would one of these animals bother a lovebird?!?!?
I certainly hope that your brother keeps any pet that he is responsible for in order to get a Boy Scout badge... Badge or no badge a pet isn't something to be discarded.

I wouldn't worry so much about a lovie and a frog so long as the lovie isn't allowed access to the frog's habitat. The water in a frog's habitat could be contaminated... not so much for the frog but for a small parrots delicate digestive system. I'd caution against EVER allowing a lovebird out while a snake or lizard is out. Reptiles are predators and while they make for wonderful pets, a hungry snake isn't going to remember that your beloved pet is a member of the family instead of a tasty snack.

Best of luck... A big thumbs up to you for doing your research NOW.

-e-

Blossomfrost
10-09-2007, 02:36 PM
wow-Thanks. Im pleased to inform you all that my mom said yes to a lovebird. Now is the hard part- my dad

Kirby
10-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Congratulations!!!

One thing I would recommend IMO would be to NEVER buy a bird because of how pretty it is :)
Example: say you find a GORGEOUS dutch blue which is for a good price, but has NOT been hand tamed. Oh it's perfect you want him/her so bad. But then you look in the other cage and there's a dark green and red faced lovie who has been hand tamed since birth and you were able to hold it in store and he snuggled you right away.
If that ends up being a situation you're in, I would STRONGLY recommend the snuggly hand tamed one. It could cut back on your frustration a heck of a lot with biting, being scared of hands etc...

I think all lovies are gorgeous, even if they pluck. But I would still take proven hand tamed one, over an expensive pretty coloured one!!!

If you have ANY second thoughts about a bird you find listen to those and hold off! :) You will find one that you just 'click' with and you will know instantly if it's meant to be!!!

Good luck with your Lovie Search!!!

P.S I would totally invite your parents to read on Lovebirds Plus!!!

Janie
10-09-2007, 04:30 PM
6) Cost: A price for a lovebird in a shop can run anywhere from $45 - 75. But what also needs to be figured in is the vet bill for check-ups which can range from $120 to $200 for the initial vet visit. Your cage can run anywhere from $50 on up. Food can run $& to $10 for a 4-5 pound bag of food. Toys are necessary and range in price from $1.50 to $15 and on up.

Good advice from everyone! :) The cost of the bird after the initial purchase is what always concerns me most when the new owner is not a working adult and will have to depend on a parent to be sure that vet care will not become an issue. Pet store lovebirds or lovebirds at bird fairs in the US run between $35 to $110 (that I've personally seen) but that is a drop in the bucket compared to what needs to be spent on the bird immediately after purchase. A good cage, toys (several, not just one or two), perches and swings, good seed and vet care, the first well bird exam which should be done as soon as you get the bird, can run you several hundred dollars beyond the cost of the bird.

My first lovebird was given to me...a FREE bird. :rolleyes: In the first month that little "free" bird had racked up a bill close to $500. And that did not include all of the new cookware that I had to replace because every pot/pan I had was teflon (toxic to birds).

I love my three lovies and am so happy to have them but they are far more expensive to keep than my dog and a whole lot messier. I waited two years before getting the second two because I know the responsibility involved and I know that I'm the only member of my family that can really take care of my birds. Lovies generally like "one" person more than "all" people so even though my sons are willing to help out if I'm gone, they spend more time than they'd like just trying to catch them to get them back in their cage. My hubby deals with them very well but that means we can't be gone at the same time. I've missed many trips with my husband because I won't leave my birds and a stranger can't really come in and interact with most birds.

Give it a lot of thought. I know you want one now but a few years from now, when you have control of your own finances, might be easier for the bird and for you. The exception would be if your parents are fully aware of the cost/time/mess/noise involved and willing to back you up with this big decision. :)

Blossomfrost
10-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Kirby, based on what you said, I know a local pet shop that has hand raised budgies. Should I go for a hand raised budgie or a lovebird?!?!?!?

Kirby
10-10-2007, 07:53 PM
hmmm I know there are lots of little budgies looking for homes out there, and they are usually very easy to get along with the same species down the road.

My first ever bird was a little blue female named mokie and she was the best bird ever for a first timer. She lived to around 9 years of age and the only time we had her taken to the vets was when we found blood from a feather.
We then ended up getting two budgies a few years afterwards, Petrie and Dandy. Dandy liked to bite as he was not hand tame and Petrie was a snuggle bum.

All animals, birds, cats, dogs etc... require different levels of attention but all need commitment.
I think this is a decision your parents need to make (budgie or lovebird)! If they are ready for the commitment if some vet trips are needed and if you feel you are ready for a little companion who can get loud and demanding sometimes!!!This situation is something you want to look at down the road too... will you have time for the same lovebird or budgie after 4 years? Lovebirds can live up to 20 and I think a good age for a budgie is 8.

Some local pet stores think that "hand raising" means to touch the baby bird a few times thus making it 'hand tamed' which they can then sell for more as it is already used to humans and more friendly. This isnt the case all the time but it is fairly common.

Trust your gut instinct like i said before, don't go buy a little fid because he/she is pretty :) Go by their personality. If it shows that it wants to interact with you in the store etc... then that is a good sign. You also want to check into the store with getting the bird vetted BEFORE he/she comes home with you.

Minna
10-11-2007, 12:55 AM
True Love Aviary (http://www.trueloveaviary.blogspot.com/) are in NC. I don't know anything about US locations, so I don't know how far Cary is from Pinehurst, but if you decide on a lovie, they'd be a FAR better option to a pet store bird! :)

Budgies can live to 15-20 years, at least here in Aus, but budgies are notoriously hard to convert from all-seed diets, so their median age is more like 5-7.

Blossomfrost
10-11-2007, 02:46 PM
OK, Cary is 3 hours away from where I live, so that might be a problem when taking a bird home from there, but thanks soooooooo much for that piece of info!!!!!!!!

Minna
10-11-2007, 08:03 PM
No problem at all, I hope you end up with the perfect bird for you. :D