PDA

View Full Version : To fly or not to fly?

Teri
10-13-2007, 08:54 AM
Well thought it was time for an update on me and Cooper. I'm in my final year of college (thank God) and in November Me and Coope will have been together a yr. She's still a terrible biter but I've learned to avoid many of her bites and she now makes kissy sounds to me when she wants my attention and I'm in a different room. She's more of a hands off bird then I invisioned but I love her dearly and she has brought so much joy into my life. We sit at night and watch tv together and she loves for me to talk to her as I'm going about my business. lol She adores talking on the phone and listening to the answering machine!

Despite the fun we have I have a difficult decision to make. Last night Coope flew around my living room for the 1st time. I knew her wings were growing back but had no clue they had completely grown back till she took off. The look on my bird's face was priceless as she flew here and there exploring (I watched her carefully). I was always positive that a pet bird must have it's wings clipped for its own safty but to see her flying.. she appeared to be the happiest she's been since she came into my life. I don't know if I can bring myself to have her wings clipped again. :cry:

Need advice on this one guys!

eudaimonia
10-13-2007, 10:03 AM
My wife and I live in an apartment, and she convinced me not to clip, at least for now. The last time we clipped our bird's wings he would growl every time he tried to fly, as if it really hurt his ego.

We'll see how it goes. So far there's been no accidents, and Socrates knows every little detail of our apartment, so he expertly maneuvers around all the obstacles. Just be careful of the windows...

Teri
10-13-2007, 10:16 AM
Coope would bob up and down for long periods on the edge of her cage when she was clipped. You could tell she wanted to take off so badly but was knew she'd go no where and was frustrated. Can't help but think flying is good exersize and good for her mental well being. It might keep her with me and healthier for longer, but the thought still makes me nervous.

Keltoth
10-13-2007, 11:29 AM
This is a topic that comes up from time to time. There was a discussion about it in this forum that you might find applicable, as it discussed the pros and cons of clipping a lovebird. It can be found at http://www.lovebirdsplus.com/community/showthread.php?t=6958 - the clipping discussion starts a view entries into the thread and continues on throughout until the end of the thread,

- Eric

Teri
10-13-2007, 11:31 AM
Thank you!

Janie
10-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Teri, I really appreciate how much you love and enjoy Cooper, even though she is not a velcro birdie! Some are going to be and some are never going to be and you've put it into perspective......you love them which ever way they are! :D

OK, on those wings, to clip or not to clip......I think safety is the number one reason to clip (other than trying to work with a bird that is new to your home and not tame) and if you think Cooper is safe with flight, let her have it and see how it goes. If she gets too sassy and it becomes really hard to reign in when you need to cage her, give her a clip. If she enjoys the flight but is still manageable with it, *I* would let her have it.

Oliver hasn't been clipped in so long, I've really forgotten how long! Probably close to two years. He's good as gold, very laid back and when he's out of the bird room he stays on my shoulder. The other two do get clipped when they make me spend 15 minutes trying to get them in their cages so that I can leave. :rolleyes: Right now they are pretty much flighted and can easily go from the floor up to a perch and then to the ceiling in their bird room but as long as they mind their momma, I don't clip them (again!). I was just out of town overnight and my oldest son was in charge. I offered to clip those two to make sure he'd have an easier time when they needed to go back in their cages but he told me not to bother and they behaved perfectly! Next week might be a different story. :lol

As long as anyone coming to your home can abide by the safety issues with a flighted bird (ceiling fans, open doors/windows) I'd say "play it by ear" and see if Cooper can behave herself well enough to keep that flight! :)

Flapjack
10-14-2007, 04:53 PM
Jack has never been clipped, and I love to keep it that way. He's really not that hard to catch, unless I have to go RIGHT NOW!!! Usually I just start playing with paper or something interesting and he comes to me to investigate, then I just cuddle him up.
Chino came to me clipped. I can tell his feathers there are a really pretty blue, and he's so calm, that I think I'd like to let them grow out.
Do most people clip larger birds than lovies (Conures for example)?

Sweetpeaches
10-14-2007, 05:56 PM
i've been clipping peaches for two reasons:

1. when she's able to fly she seems to be aggressive and not as manageable
2. for safety measures..especially in the warmer weather when a door or window may be mistakenly left opened by someone.

when she stoops down on my shoulder as if she wants to "take off" i just sit her down and let her walk to her destination.

Minna
10-14-2007, 06:40 PM
In my experience they do, Flapjack. The only people I've met in person who keep their birds completely flighted have very large birds such as black cockatoos, who spend a fair bit of time each day training, or birds who spend all their time caged. IDK if it's different in the US.

Akira is clipped, but only lightly -she can't go for too long, but she's got enough of her flight feathers to make it across the room from Joel's desk to my shoulder. If a cat gets into the house, she can keep herself out of reach for long enough for someone to rescue her.

IMO, you know best whether it's safe or not for Cooper to be flighted. Trust your own better judgement. :)

Z28Taxman
10-14-2007, 06:45 PM
Ditto hasn't had a wing clip in 3 1/2 years and probably never will again. He's pretty much nailed himself to me though and only flies between me, his gym and cage. If I want him to fly more than that I have to actually run away from him.

If he was unruly or a danger to himself (by crashing into walls and stuff) I'd clip him though.

Sweetpeaches
10-14-2007, 07:08 PM
that was another reason i've been keeping peaches clipped. we have lots of large windows and sliders in our house and i was afraid peaches might fly into them as the outside birdies sometimes do:cry:

Jessica
10-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Celestino isn't clipped either and as a result we have more safety rules for while he's out. So far he's been very managable but I would have him clipped if things changed.

We just got a baby lovebird and I'm glad the little guy is clipped because it will help us get to know each other. I am considering getiing him clipped again depending on how tame and well behaved he is.

butterfly1061
10-14-2007, 07:43 PM
Out of 6 lovies only Molly is fully flighted. Like Janie's Oliver, my Molly usually seeks me out unless he's playing with Piper. The others get clipped according to their speed of flying. Piper is my super sonic jet flyer, but he can still fly pretty good even clipped - stinker :D

Mummieeva
10-14-2007, 07:44 PM
As you can tell everyone and every bird differs. I have had both clipped and un-clipped birds. Your judgment is best for your bird. My new bird Dracula will be getting a clip if I think he needs it. Two of my past birds Baggy and Whisper were fully flighted and behaved rather well.

Steph