PDA

View Full Version : Prayers for my Niece, Please

BarbieH
07-09-2005, 08:43 AM
I feel like we all are family. I hope you don't mind me sharing this out here.

If you believe in the power of prayer, please add my nephew's wife Nichole to your list. She was due to deliver a baby boy, Eddie, Sept. 1, but the pregnancy isn't going well. As of last night, there seems to be toxemia going on; her own BP went through the roof last night, and she is in the hospital now.

They need to try to strengthen the baby's lungs so they can perform a Cesaerian to try to save both the mother and the baby. If they can't, they may need to do whatever is necessary to save Nichole's life.

The baby shower is today, and they are still going to hold it. I will be going early to help my nephew Joe, who will be opening the gifts on behalf of Nichole. (It's mainly her family attending, as there just aren't many around on our side.) Please pray that we have some small victories to celebrate today.

TIA,
Barb

linda040899
07-09-2005, 09:23 AM
Barb,
I've been saying a lot of prayers lately and I will include your niece. I know He listens.

Hugs,

bellarains
07-09-2005, 09:50 AM
Barb,

I'm so sorry to hear this. Please tell Nicole she has lots of prayers coming her way, and for the baby.

kimsbirds
07-09-2005, 10:03 AM
You got it Barb..I will be thinking of your niece and her unborn baby. Prayer is strong :)

Bella
07-09-2005, 03:27 PM
I hope all goes well for Mum and baby.
You are in my thoughts.

Mummieeva
07-09-2005, 05:28 PM
I hope all goes well with her and the baby.

Steph

shylevon
07-10-2005, 12:18 AM
Tell her we are all backing her up, and although she is missing her shower, the hospital is the very best place for her to be.

Prayers to her and you and all your family.

mangotiki
07-10-2005, 01:07 AM
My thoughts will be with Nichole and Eddie. I hope everything goes well with them both. (((((hugs))))) to Barb.

Traci

BarbieH
07-10-2005, 08:11 AM
Thanks guys.

She is doing a little better, though still in the hospital. The earliest she would go home would be tomorrow, but that's only IF her blood pressure stabilizes, and IF she agrees to strict bed rest for the next two weeks. The other option is to keep her in the hospital for the next two weeks and then do the C-section.

At any rate, this baby will not go full term. They are waiting for his little lungs to develop more, but if this doesn't happen properly, and soon, the baby will get a steroid injection in utero to speed up the process.

Thanks again for your prayers and good thoughts. I will keep you posted on their condition.

Barb

(The shower was "interesting," BTW. Ya gotta love rookies!)

BarbieH
07-10-2005, 09:23 AM
More bad news here, I'm afraid ... Nichole is in a pre-eclampsia state, whatever that means. She took a turn for the worse overnight, and they will probably have to do the c-section by this Tuesday. Joe and Nichole aren't ready for this logistically, and Joe needs to be at the hospital right now, so family is jumping in to help get the home ready, make some meals, etc. Please keep sending prayers and positive energy!!

Paulette
07-10-2005, 09:56 AM
God's perfect healing for Nicole and baby......Peace and Strength for Eddie......Peace and Comfort for you Barb and family and friends.
Paulette

TGerard
07-10-2005, 10:49 AM
Update: They are inducing labor today. There is an immidiate danger to Nichole. After delivery, the baby will remain in the hospital for 4-6 weeks. We'll ke post any updates whenever we can. Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers.

:grouphug:

bellarains
07-10-2005, 10:54 AM
Tim and Barb,

Will say a special prayer right now for Nicole and her little one. Update as you can.

:grouphug1

zlatushka
07-10-2005, 10:57 AM
Pre-eclampsia is basically just badbadbad.... (the stage before "eclampsia" which are horrific seizures) Means that your BP is suddenly and abnormally high, usually you have swelling in your extremities, and protein in your urine... can lead to death in both mother and baby if they aren't able to reverse it. Usually they have to deliver the baby. :(

Hits close to home for me, as I started to develop it at the very end of my pregnancy with Eden. They had me pretty much doing nothing, since even walking around would make my bp skyrocket and I'd get these massive headaches where I couldn't see. Doing nothing didn't really seem to help, so I eventually wound up delivering her 3 wks early. This time around they're already having me do almost nothing :lol Trying to wait out long enough... I am praying for your niece and hoping all goes as well as possible. I know what a stressful and frightening situation this is for everyone in the family.

rachel

BarbieH
07-10-2005, 11:27 AM
Thanks Rachel. That's in line with what we've been hearing, about the risk of seizures, etc. There is some measurement they've been taking (not sure if it's WBC or protein or something else) that spiked up to 465, and 500 is seizure level.

I've been in the kitchen all morning getting some meals together for Joe and Nichole, which is what they will need at home besides prayer. My other niece (Joe's sister Sara) has been over the house cleaning and doing laundry, getting things in order while Joe is at the hospital. My mom has been coordinating the troups and working as central intelligence. It is a blessing when family pulls together, and hopefully Nichole will be home in 3-5 days.

Thanks all.

Barb

LauraO
07-10-2005, 12:51 PM
Barb: I'm sorry to hear there is so much trouble with this pregnancy. Your niece is lucky to have so much great support.

Here's praying all goes well.

Mummieeva
07-10-2005, 12:53 PM
I had what what your niece has also. I had HELP syndrome which is were white blood cell count goes very low. They caught mine in time and myself and son are fine. I have faith she and baby will be fine.

Steph

Janie
07-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Barb, your niece, nephew and ALL of you are in my prayers! Please keep us posted.

Buy A Paper Doll
07-10-2005, 02:27 PM
Oh no, I was logging on to see how Nichole and the baby were doing and this was not what I wanted to see.

Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

mangotiki
07-10-2005, 03:59 PM
Barb, I am sorry to hear that they could not get Nichole's toxemia stabilized...I developed that too with my twins but luckily it was only 2 1/2 weeks before my due date and bedrest stabilized me enough to induce the next day. It was caught right away due to me having constant dr. appt's and with the bed rest and anti seizure meds I delivered without a hitch.

Nichole will be fine as soon as the baby is delivered, and many babies at 6 weeks premature (I was one myself) can be perfectly fine...I would not be surprised if Eddie makes it home earlier than predicted. I am hoping this is what happens. I will be praying for the little guy.

Rachel, when are you due again? I thought it was soon...Hopefully you will not develop it again with this pregnancy, I know that the chances can be higher since you already had it but my second pregnancy went ok, so hang in there...

Traci

butterfly1061
07-10-2005, 04:15 PM
My ex-sister-in-law went through this with her first born, who is now 14 years old. She had been told years before that she would never have a child, but she had two beautiful children and they are healthy in every way. I hope & pray everything turns out good. God will look after Nicole and her baby. We just have to trust and have faith in Him.

BarbieH
07-10-2005, 06:07 PM
Thanks everybody. They started inducing labor this afternoon and are taking it slow, to prevent undue stress on Nichole. She may deliver tomorrow or early Tuesday, depending on how things are going. I will keep you posted!

Hugs,

zlatushka
07-10-2005, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the update, Barb :) We'll be keeping all your family in our prayers.

Traci, I've got a while yet, Sept 26 officially, so they keep a pretty close eye on me.

rachel

BarbieH
07-11-2005, 12:30 PM
Just a quick update: They are trying to trick her body into thinking it's time to have the baby by means of a prosthetic. (Won't get too graphic, but it's something to simulate the size/position of the baby's head.)

They don't want to increase the drip too much to induce labor, because of Nichole's dangerously high BP. That's the same reason they aren't doing a c-section. As far as I know, we are on the same timetable: probably tomorrow.

Thanks for listening. :)
Barb

Mummieeva
07-11-2005, 03:58 PM
I am saying a extra prayer for her. being induced is hard enough but with worry on also it is harder. I have faith you will be a great aunt to a wonderful baby soon(and a very healthy one).

Steph

linda040899
07-11-2005, 05:36 PM
Hi Barb,
Prayers are continuing here in FL! Thanks for the update.

kiwilovies
07-11-2005, 05:58 PM
Thinking of you all... I hope all turns out for the best... Good Luck!!!!

BarbieH
07-11-2005, 07:26 PM
PLEASE PRAY HARD.

The Pitocin to induce labor isn't working; her protein levels have gone up to 800, and they are giving her magnesium to prevent seizure. The magensium is causing headaches and blurred/double vision -- either that or it's her BP doing it.

One way or another, a baby is coming. It may be a c-section after all, but the whole situation for Nichole is only getting worse.

Barb

bellarains
07-11-2005, 07:35 PM
Done Barb. Let us know how she's doing when you can.

zlatushka
07-11-2005, 09:27 PM
:( was hoping to hear some better news... we're keeping the prayers up and will keep checking back in.

rachel

Bella
07-12-2005, 07:18 AM
Hope things are going well for Nichole.
A friend of mine had this problem very early in her pregnancy and the baby had to be delived by c section at 26 weeks. Both mum and baby had a rough time but both ended up OK.
Am praying for Nichole and littl'un.

BarbieH
07-12-2005, 09:28 AM
No baby Eddie yet; they started the drip again this morning and if she hasn't started serious contractions by 5 p.m., they will do a c-section.

It sounds like Nichole's BP has stabilized for now, though the heavy doses of magnesium have affected her vision temporarily. She is very tired, and I have doubts that she would be strong enough at this point to get her all the way through the contractions. I think she will most likely need the surgery.

Thanks again for all your support. It means so much to all the family.

Barb

BarbieH
07-12-2005, 03:04 PM
Well, they're going ahead with the c-section at 4:30. Just keepin' ya posted.

TGerard
07-12-2005, 04:37 PM
:happy::happy:Great news! At around 5:15pm, little Eddie came into the world via c-section. 4lbs. 2oz. and 17" long. Mother and baby are doing fine. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers!

Keltoth
07-12-2005, 04:39 PM
That is good news! Grats to you and Barb, and I'm very happy mama and son are doing well.

Mummieeva
07-12-2005, 04:56 PM
Happy Birthday to you Eddie. Your a good size for a premie. May you grow bigger and taller than your daddy ;)

Steph

zlatushka
07-12-2005, 05:03 PM
Glad to hear the delivery went alright and mom and baby are doing good. :happy: Congratulations to your niece and her husband :) We'll keep her and the baby in our thoughts for a speedy and complete recovery!

rachel

linda040899
07-12-2005, 05:31 PM
Thank you so much for the wonderful update, Tim!
I'm very glad that mom and baby are both doing well! Happy Birthday little Eddie! :) More prayers for a fast and complete recovery.

bellarains
07-12-2005, 05:36 PM
Tim and Barb,

That is wonderful news. I am glad all went well, and Mom and Eddie are doing so well also.

Eddie???? What a fine Italian name :D

Buy A Paper Doll
07-12-2005, 06:29 PM
Thank goodness!!!

Janie
07-12-2005, 06:35 PM
Tim, thank you so much for the update. I'm happy to hear that little Eddie is OUT and hope all goes well. My nephew, now 30, weighed 4 lbs. and delivered at just under 7 months. You'd never know it to see him today! :) My prayers will continue to be with all of you.

BarbieH
07-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Thank you everyone. :happy: Eddie is a *very* good size for a premie, no doubt about it! Plus, he came out crying. Maybe they won't have to keep him in the hospital as long as they thought. Joe had better get that baby room ready! :lol

I'm so wiped out, you'd think I did all the work. :roll: But sleep was kind of elusive until we found out all was well.

(Lori, Eddie is named after my dad: Edward Joseph, one of the sweetest men in the world. :) )

Oh fraptious day!!

Sparkette65
07-12-2005, 07:58 PM
I've been following the posts, and although I didn't go through all that she did, I did have a C-section for my 3rd (and last) child. I was induced for the 2nd one...and the first one "FLEW" into the world with a 2 hour labor!!
ALL of my kids were at least 2 weeks late! so I did go through some ugly situations.
I didn't know what to post so I kept quiet about the whole deal until now!

THANK GOD ALL TURNED OUT WELL, and I hope everything goes great from here on in!!!!

congrats!!!
take care,
Lori

P.S. Barb....LOVE the birdies flying about!!! so so cool!!!!

LauraO
07-12-2005, 09:09 PM
Congrats Barb and family. I'm glad all went well and it's time to get some well deserved rest.

kimsbirds
07-12-2005, 09:12 PM
Congrats on little Eddie!!
How's Mamma's blood pressure been since the birth?

OH HAPPY DAY!!!

TGerard
07-12-2005, 09:59 PM
How's Mamma's blood pressure been since the birth?
It is better. I don't know specifically what it is at though.

Paulette
07-13-2005, 10:09 AM
That is wonderful to hear. Congratulations Kim & Tim. The power of prayer is a blessing indeed. :wink:
paulette

butterfly1061
07-14-2005, 10:04 AM
WOOHOO, This is great news :happy: ! Congrats Barb & Tim. One of my nephew's weighed 4 lbs and was under 7 months too. If you saw him now, you'd never believe it. He's a honker of a boy :lol

BarbieH
07-14-2005, 10:39 AM
Yup, I was a premie too and you would never know it to look at me. :lol Sounds like Nichole will be coming back from hospital Saturday or Monday; Eddie will be there 6-10 weeks, they say, but I have a feeling that it will be sooner than that. Whatever it takes, though ...

mangotiki
07-16-2005, 10:40 PM
I am so releived to hear that both Mom and Eddie are doing well. I will be holding my breath until they give him the OK to go home!!

Traci

cassysmiley
07-17-2005, 02:32 AM
My thoughts and Prayers are with you Barb.
And i send you hugeeeeeeeee ((((((((((((( HUGS )))))))))))) from across the Pond. I talk to my angel tonight (1 above my bed.) to Help Her along.
Things will be ok.
Best wishes
Lots of love
Cassy. xxxxxxxx. :grouphug1

BarbieH
07-17-2005, 10:15 AM
It's all been working. :)

Nichole came home yesterday, and Eddie is breathing on his own. As soon as he develops a strong feeding response, I think they will let him go home too -- not even four weeks in hospital, more than likely. :):)

sdgilley
07-17-2005, 11:36 AM
Barb,
I'm really glad the news is good and getting better. I hope it all continues well for Momma & Baby.

linda040899
07-17-2005, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the update, Barb
This is very good news! The power of prayer is an awesome thing and mine will continue.

:grouphug1

cassysmiley
07-17-2005, 12:08 PM
YIPPEEE DO-DAH YIPPEE DO-DAY MY OH MY WHAT A WONDERFUL AND GLOURIOUS DAY.
Congratulations Barb.
Am sooooooooo happy for you all. If he came out crying means those Little Lungs sure are working fine. :happy: Hope Mum and Dad are both fine to.
Now on Dr Cassy`s Orders go get some much needed sleep, cos you going to need it, if you going to babysit :wink:
Am truly over the moon for you all. :grouphug1 for you and your family, think its very much needed. God bless you ..
Love
Cassy.
P.S.
I weighed in at 4lb 2. and i was not prem. still a squirt now :lol