PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Griffin!

Jessica
10-14-2007, 06:21 PM
There was a small bird show today and we went to get new toys. It's usually the best toys for the best price so we stock up. I was very firn that I wasn't going to get a bird but then I saw this little lovebird and caved. There are no other words for it and as soon as he was in my hands I knew I loved him. So now we have a four month old beautiful lovebird. Here are the first photos

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/Jazicat/Griffin/Griffin1014072.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/Jazicat/Griffin/Griffin1014075.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/Jazicat/Griffin/Griffin1014076.jpg

Griffin's a little snuggle and loves to crawl in my hair which is really cute. He's a little shy but I think that's just because he needs time to get used to us. I love his color and he looks a lot like Celestino but is pied. It will be interesting to see what brightens as he gets older. Of course we aren't positive he's a he but we will do DNA when griffin is a little older. The breeder felt his hips but I know that's just a guess. Griffin is also very healthy.

I really think Celestino is going to be happy to have a buddy because he loves other birds. If they don't get along that's o.k. too because we have time for both separately if needed.

Griffin's resting now but I can't wait to play with him again. I don't want to wear the little guy out. Baby's are so much fun!:clap

Keltoth
10-14-2007, 07:06 PM
Grats on the new baby! He's a pretty little Pied Dutch Blue Violet, and I wouldn't mind having one like him in my aviary (although I am biased in favor of violet lovebirds anyway - there's always room for "one more"... :D ).

Looking forward to more pictures!

- Eric

Mummieeva
10-14-2007, 07:37 PM
What a beautiful bird you have. Congrats on the new member of your family.

Steph

dani
10-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Oh Jessica, what a doll!!! :D you must be thrilled.
How is Celestino taking to his new family member?

Jessica
10-14-2007, 08:14 PM
For now it's quarantine but when Griffin talks Celestino is quick to answer from the other room. I really think he's going to be happy because he loves other birds but is too rough for them. I've also wanted another hookbill and after lots of study came to the conclusion a GCC or another lovebird would be the best for where we are now. I just planned on waiting a little longer.

Griffin seems to be really healthy but is shy. I think all babies are shy when you get them. They are very smart and want to let you earn their trust.

I was a little afraid being so young and handfed he wouldn't eat but I just sat with him. He was the cutest little guy and tried everything I offered but settled with millet. I also was able to get him to take a big drink of water. I think this helped his know where his food dishes are.

I am so thankful for this board right now because it's given me all the advice I need. Now all I have to do is get a well vet appointment.

michael
10-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Jessica. He's a very pretty lovebird. I'm not sure I would have passed on him either, which is one reason I don't frequent bird shows. Pet stores are bad enough! Most species I can pass on, but lovies, they have those hypnotic little eye's that seem to beckon you. And it seems they only need to use but one of them :) !................Michael and Goofy

Oscar
10-14-2007, 09:09 PM
What a Pretty bird!!! Lucky you!!!

Oscar would be jealous of his colours!
Congratz

Suzy and Oscar

Islandbirdies
10-15-2007, 11:00 AM
Ahhh, he look like a sweety, enjoy the new addition!

Eliza
10-15-2007, 06:30 PM
SUCH A CUTIE :)

I love his little popcorn beak!

Jessica
10-15-2007, 08:36 PM
Thank you all for your kind comments. What's kind of funny about Griffin's colors is that he is very similar to Celestino who is a cobalt seagreen with a violet factor. I guess in my part of the world there are quite a few violet birds.

I took Griffin to the vet today and was extremely thankful they could see him so soon. We got some very bad news because it looks like Griffin has some sort of respitory problem starting. Wednesday he will be going to the vet early in the morning and extensive tests done at once to figure out what it is. This will be very expensive but I think better than doing test after test and multiple vet visits. The visit will be hard on little Griffin so he's going to spend the afternoon at the vets just in case he gets too stressed.

Please say a little pray that Griffin isn't too ill and we will be able to cure him soon.

Also please take this as a reminder that well baby visits are so important for even birds that look healthy. Little Griffen doesn't look ill but he is and getting him to the vet may have saved his life.

michael
10-15-2007, 09:37 PM
Hi Jessica :) . Hope everything goes well for little Griffin and those tests aren't too hard on him. Poor little guy :( . I too am thoroughly convinced well-bird/baby exams are a necessary preventative measure that most importantly saves lives and can save us a lot of grief and finances in the years to come. Thoughts and prayers for Griffin..................Michael and Goofy

Jessica
10-16-2007, 03:46 PM
Thank you both for your thoughts and prayers. I am really worried about little Griffin but so far the little guy is acting like a healthy baby.

It's really frustrating to have another bird come to us sick. So far this is the third lovebird we've gotten and in each case they were sick. I'm just praying that we won't have the kind of heartbreak we did with Ollie.

bellarains
10-16-2007, 04:04 PM
Wow,

That is one sweet little face. I bet you have been kissing his little beak raw. I know I would:)

Very pretty. Those little pieds are just the cutest!!!!!