PDA

View Full Version : Will a 1.5 y/o and a 3 y/o Peach Face males get along?

gina
10-16-2007, 07:32 PM
Hello!

I currently have a 1.5 year old Peach Face lovebird, Wrigley; I've had him for about 6 months. I'd like to get him a companion because I have a 9-5 job and am away most the day. I was very close to getting him a female companion, but decided against breeding. I have the opportunity to get a 3 year old Peach Face male. I'm glad he's a male, but is 3 years old too old for Wrigley to get along with? What is the age range?

Thanks for any answers!

Kirby
10-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Hi Gina!!
First off: WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

I don't think age is that big of an issue. Kirby is 2 and he is now best friends with Skittles who is 11! The age difference between Wrigley and the possible new companion I do not think will pose an issue at all for you!

I would strongly recommend looking through the forum before you bring the new guy home, just to make sure everything goes smooth for the two of you! Ask us all the questions you want and we are sure to answer them for you!!!

Lauren, Kirby and Skittles

butterfly1061
10-16-2007, 08:39 PM
I don't think age is that big of an issue. Kirby is 2 and he is now best friends with Skittles who is 11! The age difference between Wrigley and the possible new companion I do not think will pose an issue at all for you!Wrong! It can be an issue. A lot things can be an issue. There are no guarantees that any bird will get along with a new bird you bring into your home. It's a chance you will just have to take. One thing to remember is after quarrantine, you will want to take introduction very slow & supervised. You need to take it at Wrigley's pace since the new bird is in Wrigley's home. Side by side cages, playtime for short periods are only a few things you can help make the transition easy.

I had Molly (m) for about 9 months before I bought Daise (m), who was about 5 wks old. They did NOT get along and never have. Next I bought Piper (m) at 6 months old and Daise took Piper "under his wing" so to speak until I bought Olivia (f). Now Daise & Piper fight like Molly & Daise did/do. So you see, it can be an issue.

Mummieeva
10-16-2007, 10:53 PM
I will second Jackie and say when you put two birds together it is a toss up if they will get along. After a quarantine and a vet check you can put their cages near each other so they can talk. But not to close they can get each others toes. Then supervised visits with you around at all time can happen. It should be a slow and gradual process between the bird. You should be ready for the chance that they might never get along also. If that is OK with you then I say go for it. But if that does not sound like a good option maybe try turning the radio or TV on for the bird to have noise and someone to talk to.

Steph

Janie
10-17-2007, 08:00 AM
How true, how true......no guarantees.

I have three males and never expected the oldest (11 now) to get along with the two younger brothers (2 now) but all three like each other and do get along. It was six months of watching them every second when they were out of their cages for me to feel completely comfortable that they were not going to pick on each other. I still cage the two brothers together at night and Oliver, my "senior" bird has his own cage but all three enjoy hours of playtime together, out of their cages.

From what I've read, you do have a better shot with two males getting along and even if they can never be caged together, they can still be good company for each other in different cages in the same room. :)

Kirby
10-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Exactly.. it's a toss up...

Age should technically be a very very slim part on whether or not two lovebirds of two different ages get along.
Kirby and Skittles have their very vast age differences and get along great.
One of my friends has two cockatiels that are the EXACT same age and HATE each other. Same with my brother's best friend... two lovebirds one is about 3 months old... the other 14.. You couldn't separate them.

It is very important what Janie, Steph and Jackie said!!! If the right steps are taken slowly and depending on your birds, they might just accept each other!
From quarantine, to vet check.. then from in the same room to side by side cages... you can make this happen if you get your new lovebird.

If they don't end up getting along... don't assume it's their age.. that's a very false assumption.. Just like two humans.. I dislike very many people my age and get a long with a lot too. Same goes with people 20 years older than me.. I get along great with a few of them and dislike many as well.

Personality is what I say the leading cause in whether or not two birds, humans or any animal will get along with another... more so than age difference.

butterfly1061
10-17-2007, 12:41 PM
Age should technically be a very very slim part on whether or not two lovebirds of two different ages get along. If they don't end up getting along... don't assume it's their age.. that's a very false assumption.. Just like two humans.. I dislike very many people my age and get a long with a lot too. Same goes with people 20 years older than me.. I get along great with a few of them and dislike many as well. Personality is what I say the leading cause in whether or not two birds, humans or any animal will get along with another... more so than age difference.No Lauren, you don't get it! Age DOES & CAN have a great deal to do with birds getting along. Birds are not like humans when it comes to age acceptance - male or female. 99% of lovebird hens will NOT accept a younger male for a mate. There's no concrete explanation why. Out of my 3 males, only two get along. It was never intended for the two to be friends and it took a very long time for it happen. One of them is VERY bonded to me. NEVER ASSUME anything in the animal kingdom.

Kirby
10-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Yes I have posted they do not share a cage... They get along great but they have their "space issues" and I'm sure they could share one just fine.. but for my peace of mind they are separate.

Anything is possible... Maybe I have had better luck with Birds in general lol.. who knows... I was just voicing my opinion with this situation.. wrong or not... my opinion says one as opposed to many many others.

butterfly1061
10-17-2007, 12:49 PM
I was just voicing my opinion with this situation.. wrong or not... my opinion.Wrong can leave someone with a dead lovie if you are not careful with advice. We strive for correct information to members not just opinions.

mjm8321
10-17-2007, 01:01 PM
Even pairs that get along, mate and have babies and have been a bonded pair for years, can have problems. Phoebe nearly killed Cimmanim (yes correct spelling) for no apparent reason.

Be cautious and begin the whole process (if you decide to do it) with quarantine, then controlled introductions in a neutral area. Separate cages to begin with and go from there. They might get along fine from day one, it could take months, years or it might never happen.

graushill
10-17-2007, 01:05 PM
Hi Gina!

I was wondering how do you know Wrigley is a male? Is he DNA'd? Birds can be a tricky and while most hens will want to start laying eggs at or a bit over a year old, there are some holdouts that can wait up to three years to lay their first egg.

As for your question about age, I will echo those that say that age is just one of the factors that could play a role in two lovies accepting each other or not. From what I've read, an older hen shouldn't be paired with a much younger male, as there's a possibility that the male could get hurt. Personalities are also something to consider; some lovies are more laid back than others, some are more aggressive, some are more timid, others are braver; I'm sure you get the picture :). Like someone said earlier, there are just no guarantees two lovies will get along with each other.

That said, I do think that most living beings appreciate companionship of their own kind. Even if Wriggley and his prospective buddy never got along well enough to be caged together, they could still keep each other company from separate cages, and talk to each other, eat like a flock, chirp, squabble and yes even fight (hopefully from a distance :)).

I know that there are some members at the board that have single lovies, much loved pets that get lots of attention, and that have lovies that are well adjusted and content. But as Wrigley's mom, if you feel he's lonely, then chances are he is. If you have the resources to keep two parrots, my :2cents: would be by all means to go for it.

Good luck in your decision!

Gloria

carrier
10-17-2007, 01:56 PM
Hi Gina!

I also have been toying with the idea of getting my lovie, Fenway a mate, but have actually been re-thinking this idea from advice that people have given me here on the board. The many factors that have made me take pause are:

1) The time and attention TWO birds that didn't get along would require. If Fenway's new friend didn't get along with her, would I be able to not only spend the same amount of quality time with Fenway as always, but the additional time necessary to train and bond with the new one? There are no guarantees that they will be nice to each other. Can I commit to the extra time needed for another lovie?

2) Fenway's mental and physical health. Bringing in a new bird, even with the 30 day quarantine, there would be a possibility of my sweet Fenway getting sick. My apartment is only 2 rooms, and the quarantine situation would be dicey. Is it worth it to me to risk Fenway's health and well being? Would the addition of a new lovie change her amazingly sweet disposition? I would never forgive myself if anything happened to Fenway.

3) I still don't know Fenway's sex....I would want to keep all the babies, if there were any, and don't have the time, space or resources to do that. I would feel awful boiling eggies and recommend that anyone contemplating getting another lovie get the DNA sexing done if they haven't already.

The long and short of it is that right now, Fenway will remain an only bird. I love her soooo much, and know I don't have the time or resources to commit to another one in the event that they didn't get along. One, or both of them, would suffer. I took on the responsibility when I brought them into my life to give my pets the best I can offer, and right now getting another lovie, no matter how tempting, would be selfish and the wrong thing to do.

I'm sure you will make the right decision. You're right to think about it and ask questions. It is a big deal...it's another life that will be depending on you for survival, health, love and care.

Janie
10-17-2007, 04:05 PM
Even pairs that get along, mate and have babies and have been a bonded pair for years, can have problems. Phoebe nearly killed Cimmanim (yes correct spelling) for no apparent reason.

Be cautious and begin the whole process (if you decide to do it) with quarantine, then controlled introductions in a neutral area. Separate cages to begin with and go from there. They might get along fine from day one, it could take months, years or it might never happen.

Good advice. That is something that I am aware of and am thinking about every day..... observing that all three are continuing to get along. There are times that I worry that Shy might pick on Big Boi (the two who are caged together) but while Shy is bossy, Big Boi lives up to his name (he is big) and takes no crap off Shy. Fortunately they both love Oliver and his safety and happiness is my number one concern.

gina
10-18-2007, 10:43 PM
Thanks for all your advice! I really appreciate it!