PDA

View Full Version : Velcro bird that won't play in her cage

carrier
10-19-2007, 10:58 AM
I know that people here will probably think this is a strange problem to complain about, and/or will wish they had this problem, but now that Fenway has turned into such a sweet velco-birdie, whenever I'm home she won't play in her cage.:rolleyes: She just hangs on the side and begs me to let her out....and, being the sucker that I am, I do. :blush:

The thing I worry about is that all she really does is hang out on my body and chews...and wants scritches, of course. I have no problem with giving her love and adore that she wants to be with me all the time, but worry she's not being mentally challenged and/or physically active enough. :confused:

Before the velcro birdie days, I bought her a swing, and literally laughed out loud almost every day as I watched her antics as she played on it. :clap It made me soo happy to see her having all that fun! Now, she doesn't even go near her swing....

Any suggestions? I ordered her a boing and that should be coming soon, so hopefully that will peak her curiosity and liven things up. But how can I get her to focus on her toys in her cage and not on the fact that she's not out and on my body?

mjm8321
10-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Carrie, perhaps getting a toy, hanging it on you (sort of in a necklace fashion) and let her play with it while she's on you then put it in her cage so she can play with it when she's in there. There are certain things my lovies cannot resist playing with; even the velcro type. Veggie tanned leather strips with beads (wooden and plastic) on them seem to be the flock favorite. Bamboo rings seem to cause a big stir http://www.petdiscounters.com/c94/3-Bamboo-Rings-with-Bell-p4480.html?PETDISCO=c2378qf51uoohsmru63i1qll75 but I remove the bell because it wasn't safe.

You might also try setting up an out of cage play area for her too. It will enable her to play near you without being glued to you. I just found a really interesting looking toy/net thing online http://www.smartbirdtoys.com/bird-toys-medium3.htm (scroll down almost to the bottom of the page and see the "climbing net") that looks like it would be very difficult for a lovebird to resist; especially with some dried peppers stuffed in it. Oh my, lovie heaven! ;)

butterfly1061
10-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Carrie,

No need to worry. I have 6 velcro birdies and they all want to play on me when out of their cage. I'm a human playgym. They could care less about their toys when I'm around. It sounds like Fenway does the same to you. One thing I do is let them play in one cabinet of the kitchen when they are out. They have a small seed dish and I keep water nearby. They fly back and forth to me while I clean up or work in the kitchen. If I go back to the birdroom, they all fly back with me. It's a circus :D

Nalazazu
10-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Hi:

4 of my 6 lovies do the same as yours. All they want when they´re out is to be attatched to me. And Nala (the breeding hen) only wants to look for a place to hide and make a nest (inside my short or shirt). It´s very stressful because she becames very agressive when she´s looking fot a nesting place!

So I guess lovies are like that...

They have a small gym (I´m planning to build a bigger one) and they sometimes land on it, but they don´t spend much time on it. I give them paper to chew when they´re out and that will catch their attention for a while. But everytime I come in the birdroom they all fly to me and fight for their favorite place!

Mydoona
10-24-2007, 05:33 PM
My Kekio thinks its fun to fly from her cage to my shoulder,nibble my ear then fly back to the top of her cage.she does it over and over usually when I am trying to get her to go into the cage at bedtime.

beckyg
10-25-2007, 08:03 AM
Luna is a velcro birdie too for the most part, I guess I haven't worried about it because she gets plenty of playtime in her cage during the day while I am at work. I am wondering why the bell on that toy was dangerous, I have several in my cage that Luna loves, just wondering if they are the dangerous type, or are all bells dangerous?

lucky melatonin
10-25-2007, 03:24 PM
my bird does the same thing. he doesn't play on anything, except well, me. he just hangs to the door or sits on it and crys until i come get him to sit on me. i don't mind the attention either, but worry about whether it's really good for him to be so attached to sitting on me all day. it would be different if he was attached but also had other things he did. :roll: